Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #161
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Yeah but the Clippers had the biggest pile of assets in the league to get the trade done. It was just a matter of how much could Presti get leveraging the Raps against the Clippers. I don't see a realistic scenario getting PG that didn't involve the Raps losing the rest of their team.
If true that would have been a crazy blockbuster. At that cost of losing four unprotected firsts, ehh. Even though those would be low end picks, if Leonard gets injured the team would be severely screwed. OG and Siakam would be included too along with Lowry. The Raps would likely be the favorite but not worthwhile at that cost. It’d be buying a championship chance. Too much of a roster shift but man is this stuff intriguing.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #162
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
So essentially my understanding is if the Clippers don’t pull this deal off then we would of had long term Kahwi is that right?

Edit- I mean the Clippers pulling off the trade for George
From everything, it sounds like he never had intentions of staying regardless of championship or not. He was always bound for LA.

Atleast we got a wild ride out of it.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #163
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be interesting to see how Uraji navigates the rest of this offseason and the next one. Mainly the fan expectations; and cut away all the “well there goes the chance at a repeat”, it’s more about the thought that Toronto was a destination for free agents because Leonard went there and had thoughts about resigning there (as long as the Raps ripped the current roster apart to get Paul George).

As I said earlier in the thread, Toronto was an outpost that San Antonio picked. The Raptors bent over backwards to accommodate, make feel welcome, and manage Leonard last year, and bolster the roster, and it turned into a magical year. But for Leonard, it was more to get back in the league, prove his worth, take the year in an different environment to plot his future course and splash as a free agent.

I’m sure free agents and top stars will respect the Raptors for how they handled Leonard, and how electric the atmosphere was at times, and Leonard will have glowing things to say about the Raptors and Toronto (which Toronto fans seem to need to hear to be validated), but I don’t think that’s still all enough on its own for actual top end players to sign there willingly.

X factor in this is Uraji; if he can play his cards right and pull off a “tandem” (as this appears to be the next trend where the league is going), but it’s going to be uphill battle, even with all the goodwill and good vibes the Raptors have around the league right now. Said tandem has to have few other options as far as locations (cap, assets to give up etc), to have the tandem play together.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #164
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jerry West also pretty much cements himself as the GOAT of the front office. Built the Lakers Shaq-Kobe dynasty, made the Grizzlies a borderline contender, built the Warriors dynasty, has made the Clippers an organization to take seriously. Don't ever consider replacing him as the logo, he might be the greatest NBA figure ever factoring his playing career in.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 07-06-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #165
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t help but chuckle how this played out. Kawhi basically trolling everyone for a week when he knew all along where he was going. I’m cool with him leaving as that’s his right as a FA. The George trade and recruitment irks me though. Maybe Leonard isn’t so different after all?...The NBA is such a joke right now with the super team format. Makes me more proud that the Raptors did it the right way. Good drafting, signings, and trades. They will probably be the last team in a long time to win it that way.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #166
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah well. At least it's not the Lakers.

My girlfriend and I were in Toronto in early March and were able to see a Raptors game against the Trailblazers. Kawhi hit the winner with a second left. It's cool that I can say I saw him live, not a bad first NBA game.

And not for nothing, but I'm kinda glad Leonard isn't sticking around. I don't have the time or desire to get more invested in basketball. This spring was fun; Kawhi came, he saw, he conquered. He gave us all something Damon Stoudamire, Vince Carter, Chris Bosh, Rudy Gay, and DeMar DeRozan never could - a reason to care. I'm glad I got to see it.

Peace out, Big 'Whi.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #167
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duplicate
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #168
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
True fan right here. Always knew you were a fake.

You won't be missed.
Hahaha. So much salt! Enjoy Gasol and Lowry! If you have any hair it will all be gone by game 20.

But dont' worry. Your leafs will make up for the loss of leonard for years to come.... haha
Old 07-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #169
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The saddest part for me is that he didn’t just take the 1+1 to try and defend his title. Nothing was stopping him from going back him after next season and I still think he should have tried to go back to back.

Western conference is going to be crazy though this year.

Lakers: Bron and AD
Clippers: Kawhi and PG
Warriors: Curry, Klay, Draymond, Dangelo
Denver: Saric and Murray
Houston: Harden and Paul
Portland: Dame and McCollum
Dallas: Luka and Porzingis

Plus you still have Utah and San Antonio who were playoff teams last year, New Orleans with Zion, Jrue and everything they got from the Lakers, And a pissed off Russ who will probably try to score 40 a game.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #170
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a fan of NBA, however I definitely feel for the Raptors.

They had no chance to sign this guy....

I would have guessed the Lakers, however its another player who only thinks of himself not the team, definitely not the fans
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #171
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The saddest part for me is that he didn’t just take the 1+1 to try and defend his title. Nothing was stopping him from going back him after next season and I still think he should have tried to go back to back.

Western conference is going to be crazy though this year.

Lakers: Bron and AD
Clippers: Kawhi and PG
Warriors: Curry, Klay, Draymond, Dangelo
Denver: Saric and Murray
Houston: Harden and Paul
Portland: Dame and McCollum
Dallas: Luka and Porzingis

Plus you still have Utah and San Antonio who were playoff teams last year, New Orleans with Zion, Jrue and everything they got from the Lakers, And a pissed off Russ who will probably try to score 40 a game.
Without Thompson the Warriors might not make the playoffs this year.

and don't forget about the Pelicans. They have a ton of talent after trading AD.

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 07-06-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Johnny Makarov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:00 AM   #172
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I think about it, the more I like Leonard going to the clippers. I don’t like the recruitment aspect but I gotta say that him going to the Clippers to face LeBron head on is ballsy and goes against the current NBA grain. It’s not the easy way out. And who better to cement your legacy but against LeBron. If anything it’ll shake LeBron’s legacy of Leonard outplays him. I like it in that regard so much. The convincing George to demand a trade is a little low handed and didn’t see that in Kawhi’s personality. If he pointed out to the Clippers that they were deficient at PG, that’s fine but doing it the apparent way it was done while hailed by most, to me is a kick in the teeth to fans in Oklahoma.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #173
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is basically what I thought would happen all along, so how disappointed can I really be? Especially with a ring attached with it? It was a special run and yes there was the luck of Durant and Klay getting hurt (nevermind the Game 7 bounce), but the Warriors benefited some their own luck in each run so luck just happens. You create your own luck by being in positions to take advantage of situations. The Raps window appeared slammed shut after last year, so even though I wouldn't agree with people who say the trade was ballsy, it was nice to see them swing for the fences.

Kawhi wanted to go home for whatever reason going back to his time with San Antonio. I guess when he gave up the chance for the supermax then it was obvious money was never going mean as much as location. I never really raised my hopes he would stay until they won the title, and then I thought maybe a 1+1 could work, but I also was fine if he left so long as he didn't go to the Lakers. He delivered what we all wanted, the reason why everyone was fine jettisoning the most loyal star the Raps had. He's a special talent and even for one season to see him play 80+ games including playoffs, it's one of the best trades ever and there's no ill will.

And now that he hasn't gone to the Lakers, everything should be very fun next year and it's a little sad the Raps won't really be a part of it, but it's definitely good for the league to have so many teams who have a chance. As for what now for the Raps, play it out this year pretty much. They'll probably still be a playoff team, and getting to see Siakam as the focal point is very intriguing, they might still be a top four team in the East and if Siakam takes another big step they might make a bit more noise in the playoffs. But they're also in a good position to sell some guys for good returns if they fall off. I don't like the idea of chasing someone now, no need to be desperate and set yourself back.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 07-06-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #174
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what load management will look like for Kawhi next year. I don’t see the clippers being deep enough to give kawhi 20+ games off and still being in decent shape come playoffs.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #175
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also this might be the first year a single NBA team doesn't have a Big 3 since Lebron went to the Heat.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #176
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel no ill will towards Leonard. He gave the Raptors a dream season and has the right to go back home. I do hope both LA teams flame out though, the Nets too - these player-recruited super teams are a terrible trend. Imagine how OKC feels having won the George battle only for him to force a trade a year later.
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #177
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kawhi is literally the Thanos of the NBA
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #178
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kawhi leaving for SA was always part of the risk and is also why Toronto didn't have to pay "that" much for him; other teams didn't want to give up a ton of assets for a player that was rumored to head to California after the end of the year. That was going to be the case for any eastern team with the exception of maybe NYC.

I hope the fans give him a huge ovation when he goes back to Toronto... first championship ever in the NBA and first in 25 years since the bluejays is a huge accomplishment.

hopefully, the Raptors will be able to make their own UFA splash in 2020-21
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #179
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I feel no ill will towards Leonard. He gave the Raptors a dream season and has the right to go back home. I do hope both LA teams flame out though, the Nets too - these player-recruited super teams are a terrible trend. Imagine how OKC feels having won the George battle only for him to force a trade a year later.
With the haul they got for George I am not feeling bad at all if I am OKC. They now have a ton of assets to build a really strong team for a long time.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #180
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Said it last week, but yeah I really think Kawhi knew all along he was going, hence why he stayed in Ontario after the win when everyone else took off; Jays game, Niagara...just soaking up one final week of his Raptors & Canadian experience, and enjoying the love, adulation and celebrating the title before saying goodbye.

Last edited by Sainters7; 07-06-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote