Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the James Neal signing?
Love It 411 46.55%
Love the add, worried about the term 328 37.15%
Neutral 30 3.40%
Wait and see 71 8.04%
Hate it 43 4.87%
Voters: 883. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #161
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I love the signing but James Neal is no Jarome Iginla. (11 straight 30 goal seasons which were preceded by a 28 and a 29 goal season)
Ya let's not get crazy. I think he's going to be a great fit with Johnny and Mony. But worst case Lindholm finds better chemistry with the top line, and Neal and Tkachuck and Backlund, or Jankowski find a rhythm... Or throw Czarnik into that mix... Or Foo or Dube show up big time at camp and stick this year. Lots of options, and that's awesome.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #162
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Flames won't be able to walkaway from Hathaway's salary arbitration.

If he files for arbitration, the award will be well below the walkaway threshold.

If the Flames file for arbitration, they can't walk away from club elected arbitration.
If the Flames wanted to open that window, do it with Kulak. Agree to a number ($1M or whatever), let him submit that number for arbitration, put up very little fight, and 'let him win'.

Buyout Brouwer.

Profit.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #163
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I think with the improvements throughout the lineup Brouwer will easily waive his NTC even to a team he had on his list if it meant more opportunity. If we include Stone or Frolik in the deal it could make it more palatable for the team acquiring.

Stone + Brouwer (Minor % retained) to Ottawa? They have a few picks they could deal — Pittsburgh 3rd + Ottawa 5th?
Do we know what the base salary vs. Cap hit is for Brouwer and frolik? Send love taking on higher cap hits for lower real salary
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #164
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't like the term, good AAV, I know it's the price you have to pay to win a UFA's services.
Very happy there is no trade protection. If it's regular salary without the crazy buyout proof bonus structure then it should be a manageable contract. He needs to move out some salary now, be interesting to see how, personally I'd like to see 2M retention to trade Brouwer but Frolik could also be on the move.

Haven't been a huge fan of some of the move Treliving has made but I like how he has rebuilt the roster this year. The group we had last year just wasn't good enough, this year should be much improved.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:43 AM   #165
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazing... did not expect to wake up to this thread!

Love him, loathe him, or somewhere in between... have to admire Treliving. He is not afraid to execute a plan.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #166
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #167
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Why do people suddenly want to get rid of Frolik?

Brouwer makes sense as a buyout candidate or a favour-take from a cap basement team, but Frolik can actually play.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #168
Captain Chuckles
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The real beauty of this here is that Tree managed to make his team better at the expense of a divisional opponent which is really nice!
Captain Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Chuckles For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #169
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Do we know what the base salary vs. Cap hit is for Brouwer and frolik? Send love taking on higher cap hits for lower real salary
Brouwer is straight up 4.5
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #170
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite part about what we've done since the draft is the Oilers have sat back and done basically NOTHING.

Never change Edmonton and thank you Chia
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #171
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like this deal. Gotta move out some more of the deadweight like frolik and stone. Don’t think we can move Brouwer, May just have to leave him in the press box.

I also doubt you can get much for stone as Im pretty sure the flames were shopping him at the draft and couldn’t get a first three rounder for him
The Jets freed up some money to try and re-sign Stastny so for example they would probably take Frolik off the Flames hands as he's a guy that has some value. Brouwer I just don't see it unless the Flames are willing to eat half of the deal. As for Stone I'm not sure he would be moved as Brad really likes to have a lot of options on the blue line.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #172
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For an FA signing that is really good and he really fills a need. He's gonna get fed some pretty passes by Johnny and create more space for Monahan. I expect Monahan to really show off his allround game now when he doesn't need to be the trigger man all the time.

Contract length is always an issue for 30+, but hey, I'm gonna enjoy him and Tkachuk piss off everyone
Old 07-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #173
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

At the end of the day this signing and the rest of Treliving's actions since the Draft are about improving the Flames up front. However I also believe that he wanted to make a direct change to the dressing room dynamic and leadership dynamic of the team, it feels like the Flames management really didn't like something about the dressing room. The Neal signing goes directly to that as well.

The Flames look like an entirely different team and possible contender for the Pacific Division crown.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #174
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Why do people suddenly want to get rid of Frolik?

Brouwer makes sense as a buyout candidate or a favour-take from a cap basement team, but Frolik can actually play.
I came in to pose the same question. He has good defensive chemistry with Backlund, he kills penalties... and he plays RW, which has been addressed with Neal and, perhaps, Lindholm, but I'd be hesitant to move out a player of his calibre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #175
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
My favourite part about what we've done since the draft is the Oilers have sat back and done basically NOTHING.

Never change Edmonton and thank you Chia

They signed Brodziak and Reider, that's not nothing, its err some . . . . sorry I can't do this with a straight look on my face.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #176
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
In this case I view dirty player as a good thing tbh. Aside from Tkachuk and Gio, this roster is a baby’s ass. It just got a little meaner
Also, it's interesting that while he received supplemental discipline a few times earlier in his career, he hasn't had even a fine in nearly 4 years, and that was a fine for Diving in December 2014.

He has been effectively "clean" for 4 seasons now, which presumably means he figured out how to play on the right side of "the line". That's something valuable he could teach to Tkachuk too.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #177
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, I am glad the extra money for season tickets was put to good use. Kudos to ownership as I really thought they were going to hold back with an $80 million cap.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #178
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The Flames look like an entirely different team and possible contender for the Pacific Division crown.
I'm going to hold off on declarations like this as it feels like we've been burned before. I think the goaltending situation is still a bit of a question mark and we have seen bad goaltending sink teams in the past. I think the roster is improved over last season and it's a matter of how long it takes the new coach and new players to all get on the same page as for whatever reason this organization is almost always a slow starter. The team should have made the playoffs last season but questionable coaching and mediocre goaltending cost them.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #179
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brouwer has a cap hit of 4.5 mill and 9 million owed in the next 2 years (no break on the base) Frolik has a cap hit of 4.3 mill and 7 million owed in the next 2 years (1.6 million break on the base)
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #180
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was opposed to signing Neil because there were rumours he wanted 7x7. At this term and price I am totally on board, great signing! If this team does not make the playoffs with this lineup they are actually cursed. Excited for next season!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote