Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #161
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I haven't followed any of the schedules, just been cherry picking the videos. Diamond cutter and Double black diamond are great advanced routines that are about an hour long, I'll probably keep going back to them for years. Mix tape is perfect for when I want to do some yoga but am in a 'whatever' mood. I'm really digging the mix and match approach of the shorter videos. Pleasantly surprised with how good of an upper body workout it is.

(am I the only one who imagines they're a Dragon Ball Z character to generate self resistance? If not, it totally helps.)
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:02 AM   #162
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can you guys post the brand/model of the heart rate monitor you bought/recommend? That'd be greatly appreciated.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #163
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
Can you guys post the brand/model of the heart rate monitor you bought/recommend? That'd be greatly appreciated.
Polar FT1. It is a very basic model. It monitors my heart rate and that is about it. You can set your zone and if you have beep turned on it will beep slowly if you are below your zone or beep quickly if you are above your zone. You can see the results of your last workout, which tells you how long you worked out for, your average heart rate and your maximum heart rate.

http://www.polar.com/en/products/get...sstraining/FT1

I bought it at Canadian Tire.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #164
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

My tapes finally arrived this week. Almost 4 to 5 weeks after I ordered them. I did the Diamond Dozen one morning. I kept hitting the roof of the basement with my arms so I am going to go to a different room of our house to do it. I will admit (embarrassingly) that I struggled at parts of the Diamond Dozen.

I'll start Monday, maybe tomorrow. I'll do the Diamond Dozen for a week and then into the program.

Question, the manual seems to refer to an online site or forum for the DDP yoga. Is it worth signing up for?
Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #165
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha killer, I had the same problem in my basement. I have to workout in our upstairs living room.

Teamddpyoga.com

I signed up for it. At the very least you should sign up and check it out and see for yourself if it is worth it. I read the forums and there are a lot of people asking questions and a lot of very helpful people living good answers. Maybe it is helpful to you, it isn't a time waster for me and it has come in handy. Plus you'll ge a personal greeting from DDP himself (among many others who are prominent on the site).

Last edited by Buff; 06-08-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #166
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I can say that I've lost 7 pounds in the last three weeks by doing this thing, I think its a pretty amazing workout as long as you don't cheat at it and just do the stances and movements and not do the whole resistance thing which is tough to do at once.

Why I didn't find this sooner I don't know.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #167
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I think you DDP yoga guys are awesome ....I am really struggling to try and make time for myself to do this for myself and am very intrigued and inspired when you guys post this stuff including the pictures.

Keep up the hard work its awesome
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #168
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'm in my 5th week. I didn't record my progress or follow the schedule to a fault, so I'm either in 5th or 6th. I could figure it out if I wanted. Anyways, I've lost 2 lbs. I didn't think I had much weight to lose though, because I dramatically changed my diet in November when I was diagnosed with diabetes and lost quite a bit of pounds then. However, in spite of not losing much weight, I have done some serious toning. I'm going to take my 6 pics tomorrow and compare them to my day 1 six pics. I have a lot of people telling me that I'm looking skinnier and taller lately. So I am very pleased with DDP Yoga, and wish I had found this years earlier too.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #169
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
Currently I've got a Garmin Forerunner w/GPS and HRM. I can't stand the chest strap.

I'm very interested in the Mio Alpha at the moment. No chest strap, but still supposed to be precise.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #170
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got the Timex Ironman one at Sportchek, about $120 retail.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #171
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anybody using one the Polar line of products? I was looking at the FT7.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #172
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
Anybody using one the Polar line of products? I was looking at the FT7.
I got a Polar first (although not the FT7) and it wasn't working for me - would only find my heartbeat sometimes and would "lose" it during the workout. Took it back and got the Timex which has been perfect for me (and was cheaper than the Polar too). I should note that the Polar products do have an excellent reputation, so perhaps I just got a bit of a dud, or I really am heartless like my wife and so many ex-gfs have stated.

My first week update:
Completed my first week although didn't follow the schedule. The original DDP schedule calls for mostly Diamond Dozen the first week but I did that the weekend prior to "officially" starting and think I have a decent handle on the moves, so went straight to "Energy" on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I was feeling pretty good so I added "Fat Burner" on Saturday and "Strength Builder" on Sunday. Today, I'm definitely feeling it so we'll see how "Energy" goes tonight.

I'm pleased to say that I'm down 2.1 lbs and have dropped my body fat .6 to 17.1%. I'm also very pleased to say my joints feel pretty good. The reason I stopped P90x in January was my left elbow had gotten extermely tender and it is still a bit wonky if I lift anything particularly heavy. I have no complaints with it doing DDP, even the pushups and "alligator" are fine.

From a diet perspective I would say I'm not really following DDP at all. I've stopped the coke and replaced it with more water, but still have my coffee fix in the mornings and haven't changed much else in my diet this week aside from cutting out the chips. The kids even talked me into Chinese takeout on Saturday which means I had greasy food Saturday night, and left overs of same for lunch and dinner on Sunday.

In the interest of full disclosure it was also nicer last week, which means I did get out on the bikes a few times with the kids - something that the rain had discouraged the past few weeks.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with DDP so far. It is significantly less time than P90x with the longest workout I've done so far "strength builder" at about 40 mintues. I finish with a decent sweat, but don't feel dead like after Plyometrics. Coupled with the no impact nature of the workout and the pain free elbow, it is so far a winner for me.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #173
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

We saw my daughter's rheumatologist today and got the OK from the team PT to go ahead and try this, with some obvious modifications. We also have to get one of those foam roller things, for her IT bands, as they're very tight, and some Theraband stuff for her Achilles as they're also quite tight. Any suggestions on where to pick those up?

Going to PM Rudee and see if his relatives want to sell their DDPYoga dvds since they apparently don't use them, LOL.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #174
Nandric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Some kind of physiotherapy clinic like the Sports Med Clinic at the U of C might have stuff like that. I believe thats where I bought my foam roller.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #175
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think my wife has bought both roller and therabands from Shoppers Home Health when she was on mat leave, but usually she gets to take that stuff home since she is a PT. I think you could even find the roller at any fitness store, or shoppers, london drugs, etc... actually she may have purchased her roller from Canadian Tire... I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure they are fairly easy to find.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #176
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

As an update, I've lost another 2 pounds in the last couple of weeks so its still going well. I am doing the three times a week focusing on Energy, I like the idea of adding another day with strength.

I've been looking at the meal planning, and I might start that this weekend.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #177
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fitter First on Blackfoot has a small storefront where you can buy foam rollers and other cool/weird devices:

http://fitter1.com/
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Goon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #178
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys. Will maybe head in later today and grab this stuff, so she can get going on the IT band and Achilles stuff, at least.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #179
Ex libris
Farm Team Player

Exp:

For those of you who have been doing this for a while - how long did it take you to get all the moves plus the resistance together? I can do the resistance during the Diamond Dozen, but did my first actual workout this week, and trying to follow the moves plus remembering to engage all my muscles was impossible! Anyway, I guess it will just take practice.
Ex libris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #180
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

I bought my foam roller off Amazon, found it cheaper than any place local. I was also buying stability & medicine balls so overall my package was much cheaper (and had free shipping). This route may not be cheaper when shopping in Calgary compared to Halifax.

http://www.amazon.ca/36-Inch-High-De...1755504&sr=1-1
HalifaxDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HalifaxDrunk For This Useful Post:

Tags
bang! , ddpyoga , guys do yoga too , not your mama's yoga , yrg