Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #161
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Someone had also posted this shoulderpatch idea:

Is that meant to suggest both the Calgary Tower and the Olympic Torch? The IOC will never allow any use of Olympic imagery.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #162
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo View Post
Like I have said before, I love the original Flames jerseys and I think our current jerseys are some of the finest in the league. Yes we are the sea of red, yes I love the retro jerseys. I'm not trying to replace any of them, well that's not completely true because I would like my concept to replace the previous black flaming horses head jersey.

My concept is more of an edit than a redesign of our current jerseys. All I have done is changed the colours a bit, added a couple stripes. I did this because personally I like the idea of a black or grey coloured jersey. I think that it adds a bit of variety and gets rid of the homogenization of only having a red or a white jersey.
I think what makes it pop as a third set for me is that it's NOT black, its a unique look.

Sure, it has the black elements like pants, helmets and probably gloves, and black actually accents the graphite jerseys and socks nicely. Toss in the thinly striped team colors and its really well pulled off as a third jersey (maybe a new secodary logo on the shoulders)... and it's not just another "let's make it black" design.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #163
Flamboyant 14
One of the Nine

Exp:

Leave our Jerseys just as they are,we have the best looking jerseys of all 30 teams.
Flamboyant 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #164
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Here is my updated design with changes from feedback.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

- made numbers and "C" white for improved readability.
- Added silver outline around numbers and logos.
- made charcoal cloth of jersey and socks a bit lighter (to avoid one big black blob).

These actually look pretty cool, but need to come up with a logo for the shoulders. Flags just show lack of creativity on the Flames part

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #165
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT77 View Post
You know it's spring and the Flames are golfing when the jersey threads are out in full force!

I'm glad so many of you still enjoy that old set I made waaaay back. I did it when it was announced that Reebok was taking over the NHL jerseys and the only template available at the time was the All-Star template from the previous year. That's exactly what it is - a recolour of the All-star jersey. The only "creative" thing I did was add the Alberta shoulder patches - which, honestly is just a rip-off of what Dallas did... just waaaay better.

I'm a huge fan of NO BLACK on the jersey. Not even as an accent. That isn't to say I don't like it - I actually love the Black 'C' but I think the Flames have always looked best in Red/Gold/White only. It's just so... classy.

I found this one I did a couple of years ago on my laptop this morning and thought I'd contribute it. Basically just a tweak of our old set. The shoulders might need a nice shoulder patch or something. I just like a clean look. Something our current home/away are NOT.

Anyway, please debate. I love these threads and how completely polarizing some of the opinions are!

Remove the white shoulders but leave the gold shoulder trim (a la Carolina Hurricanes) on the home jersey, replace the white on the collar with red and I think we have a winner.

Last edited by Reaper; 05-03-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #166
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This is better than the current flags

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #167
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
This is the only set of jerseys I've seen that has the retro feel to it, while modernizing the design. Unfortunately, they kind of look like practice jerseys. But I still love them, and would definitely buy them if they were available.

Going over all the new designs so far and i have to say these are the best ones.

Flames need to let go of horizontal lines. With their colours it's too McDonalds.

Vertical lines are they way to go when keeping with the flames colours.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #168
FlamingC4Life!
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Is that meant to suggest both the Calgary Tower and the Olympic Torch? The IOC will never allow any use of Olympic imagery.
The torch was designed after the tower so unless it says anything olympic on it the IOC is SOL. It's a good design for an alternate shoulder patch.

That being said there is a whole lot of ugly in this thread. I'd suggest a poll asking the age of those who seem so willing to copy the Oilers and nux in trying to make what was old, and ugly, new and still ugly again. The current "retro" jerseys are great 5 times max per year. Going back in time is a cheap ploy and a cash grab. If you want to spurn more jersey sales create something new, modern and forward thinking, not rehashing the orange and yellow from the 70's.

Calgary, and the Flames, is a forward progress city and franchise. Edmonton needs to confuse their fans into thinking it's the boy on the bus out on Rectall ice and not the boys at the bottom of the league. The nux have never had a good jersey and likely never will, so why not just re-use ugly after ugly. I won't pay 9 grand a season to watch 41 games of 70's jerseys. And I won't add another to my collection which already fills one closet.

The flag patches need to go. Not because I think they are ugly but because their use, for the 100th anniversary of Hockey Alberta, was 5 years ago. Aside from that, uless they revert to the 04 style in some way there is nothing wrong with the current home and road jersey. They are definately some of the best out there, unique as they don't copy any one else, and always spark conversation with fans in other cities who tend to agree with how great they look. Tweak then, sure, Replace them with 70's rehashes and we are no better than the toilet water 3 hours North.
FlamingC4Life! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamingC4Life! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #169
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

first, i think the mid 80's red, white and gold should be our full time jerseys.

since it looks like many of you are fantasizing, and some on serious drugs, about other styles, i have always liked the style of the late 80's flyers. i think it might look good in flames colours.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #170
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bumping these from some discussion before they unveiled the retro 3rds...

I like the shoulder logos on these:

Incredible. The sharp designs lend well to 'The Flames' yet the flow is super modern. Whether substituting the white for black would look better I'm not sure, but the white does offer a clean design that also nods well to our past.

The Alberta shoulder logo is nice, but that Calgary Tower is a great idea.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #171
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here is my updated design with changes from feedback.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

- made numbers and "C" white for improved readability.
- Added silver outline around numbers and logos.
- made charcoal cloth of jersey and socks a bit lighter (to avoid one big black blob).

No Oregon Ducks-style jerseys please . . . . ever!
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #172
tomo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

only red white and yellow

tomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #173
Dr. Pepper
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Like I have said before, I love the original Flames jerseys and I think our current jerseys are some of the finest in the league. Yes we are the sea of red, yes I love the retro jerseys. I'm not trying to replace any of them, well that's not completely true because I would like my concept to replace the previous black flaming horses head jersey.

My concept is more of an edit than a redesign of our current jerseys. All I have done is changed the colours a bit, added a couple stripes. I did this because personally I like the idea of a black or grey coloured jersey. I think that it adds a bit of variety and gets rid of the homogenization of only having a red or a white jersey.
I agree - that graphite number tomo you did with the white flaming C is spectacular - that would be a very sweet 3rd jersey. I agree the regular homes should be red. Mostly I just don't like the busy piping on our current home/aways...
Dr. Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #174
Dr. Pepper
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT77 View Post

Hey these are great! Would it be too much trouble to ask you to show these with the current number style on the back, numbers on the arms below the shoulder color area, with a captain's "C" on the front? That would give a real nice idea of the full look!
Dr. Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #175
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm not sure if there is a rule against this, but I've always thought it would be cool if we used the Flaming C & original Flaming A as our Captain and Alternate letters on the jerseys.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #176
CaptainCrunch77
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
I'm not sure if there is a rule against this, but I've always thought it would be cool if we used the Flaming C & original Flaming A as our Captain and Alternate letters on the jerseys.

CaptainCrunch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #177
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Just because it has a lame American Eagle look, word mark, laces, old-fashioned looking trim, wannabe 1950s colors and look to it, etc. does not make it "retro".

Retro should only go as far as real Flames history goes and so back to the Atlanta Flames to early Calgary Flames era. Speaking of the Atlanta Flames, since we already seem to be using the Alberta flag to represent our province, why not replace that with the Atlanta burning "A" for Alberta on the shoulder patches? It'd be better than the big patch of blue.

Stop trying to mess with jerseys. Learn from the Vancouver Canucks that coming out with new designs/logos/colors, etc. all the time just devalues whatever legacy any jersey can have.

Stick to the 80s white and red and that should be it. Alternate to the '04 maroons for a 3rd if you really need to but that should be it. Learn from the timeless teams that don't mess with their colors and general designs (Wings, Leafs, Habs, etc.) for decades.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #178
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The Calgary Tower is on fire... doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Also, how many logos, icons, and patches does a team need?
COGENT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COGENT For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #179
tomo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Just because it has a lame American Eagle look, word mark, laces, old-fashioned looking trim, wannabe 1950s colors and look to it, etc. does not make it "retro".

Retro should only go as far as real Flames history goes and so back to the Atlanta Flames to early Calgary Flames era. Speaking of the Atlanta Flames, since we already seem to be using the Alberta flag to represent our province, why not replace that with the Atlanta burning "A" for Alberta on the shoulder patches? It'd be better than the big patch of blue.

Stop trying to mess with jerseys. Learn from the Vancouver Canucks that coming out with new designs/logos/colors, etc. all the time just devalues whatever legacy any jersey can have.

Stick to the 80s white and red and that should be it. Alternate to the '04 maroons for a 3rd if you really need to but that should be it. Learn from the timeless teams that don't mess with their colors and general designs (Wings, Leafs, Habs, etc.) for decades.

We are not an original six team, we are a small market franchise that doesn't make money off of the nostalgia and tradition that those franchises have.

There isn't one design on this thread that even comes close to the extreme of any Canucks redesign.

Until the Flames start playing like the Flames of the 80's let's not tarnish that era's legacy by only wearing that design. Let's keep the 80's jersey special.
tomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #180
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Ummm, both the Leafs and Habs have made many changes to their jerseys over the last couple of decades.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote