Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #161
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm saying that he's spent his life politicking. I'm assuming he's doing that because it's what he believes is the best way to spend his time. Why does that need to change just because he's on his deathbed?
V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #162
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
He's "allowed" to do whatever he wants. I just thought it was lame that he was still politicking during his last days on earth. Kind of sums him up for me. If other people are able to take inspiration out of that, then great, I guess...
What were you expecting? A rendition of "My Way?"
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #163
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
He's "allowed" to do whatever he wants. I just thought it was lame that he was still politicking during his last days on earth. Kind of sums him up for me. If other people are able to take inspiration out of that, then great, I guess...
Politics was his passion, I'm not at all surprised he was doing it up until the final minute of his life.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #164
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I'm saying that he's spent his life politicking. I'm assuming he's doing that because it's what he believes is the best way to spend his time. Why does that need to change just because he's on his deathbed?
Politicking is generally understood to be insincere which kind of contradicts the sort of sentiment you usually expect from someone on their deathbed. Again, this isn't me telling someone what they should or should not say, just giving my position on it. If you are looking for unyielding adulation for Jack Layton's letter, then I'd advise you to look to virtually anyone other than me.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #165
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Politicking is generally understood to be insincere which kind of contradicts the sort of sentiment you usually expect from someone on their deathbed. Again, this isn't me telling someone what they should or should not say, just giving my position on it. If you are looking for unyielding adulation for Jack Layton's letter, then I'd advise you to look to virtually anyone other than me.
You're an expert on deathbed statements?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #166
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
You're an expert on deathbed statements?
Yupp.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #167
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Yupp.
Suppose he had separate "goodbye" letters dictated for his wife, his kids, and his inner circle of friends. Suppose those were not publicly circulated.

Plausible?

How is a goodbye letter to the public, to his party "troops" and to other cancer sufferers self-serving to a dead man?

Critics are just being stupid.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #168
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Suppose he had separate "goodbye" letters dictated for his wife, his kids, and his inner circle of friends. Suppose those were not publicly circulated.

Plausible?

How is a goodbye letter to the public, to his party "troops" and to other cancer sufferers self-serving to a dead man?

Critics are just being stupid.
Where exactly did I say "self-serving"? It seems that, as always, you are so intent to take issue with someone that their actual position is irrelevant to you.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #169
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Where exactly did I say "self-serving"? It seems that, as always, you are so intent to take issue with someone that their actual position is irrelevant to you.
Well, your agreeing with Blatchford's take that Layton was working an angle is a giveaway.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #170
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, your agreeing with Blatchford's take that Layton was working an angle is a giveaway.
I said that I liked her take on it and there is no real debate that he was working a political angle. If you read the letter rather than just mindlessly spouting off about it you would be able to see this.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #171
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You think he wasn't??

Doesn't make him self-serving. He continued to fight for what he believed in. Ark thinks that's lame. His prerogative, I suppose.
V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #172
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
It is, and no one can deny that regardless of the reasons behiond it....but is it anything that should be considered state funeral worthy?
If the deaths of the Veterans Affairs minister, the Postmaster General, and a Minister without Portfolio while in office warrants a state funeral (all of which have occurred in Canadian history), then I don't see why the death of the opposition leader while in office shouldn't.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #173
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Despite what it is, I think this is quite an opportunity for his son, Mike Layton who is already following in his father's footsteps as a Toronto City Councilor to maybe step up to the Federal NDPs based on his father's name and give that party some sense of continuity with Jack Layton.
I thought this too. I suspect he'll run in the by-election and kick around as a backbencher...maybe take on a critic's portfolio in a couple of years. And then in another 8 years or so when the NDP hold their next leadership convention, he'll take his shot then.

I know nothing about him, really, but that seems to be how things happen in such political families (see Trudeau, e.g.)
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #174
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I wonder how many people who are opposed to Layton receiving a state funeral would've have been in favour of Preston Manning receiving one? (Of course no one will admit this now, but it does make me wonder)
Preston manning is/was a great Canadian/person trying to make this country better.

Layton is a scumbag with a horrible disease that did everything he could to make this country a worse place to live.

I understand the need to deify everyone who died and I do appreaciate the los that his family feels and horrible effects of cancer. But Layton deserves nothing based on the way he conducted himself and the disgusting politics he tried to force on this country.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #175
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Preston manning is/was a great Canadian/person trying to make this country better.

Layton is a scumbag with a horrible disease that did everything he could to make this country a worse place to live.

You're just an enlightened individual.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #176
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I understand the need to deify everyone who died and I do appreaciate the los that his family feels and horrible effects of cancer. But Layton deserves nothing based on the way he conducted himself and the disgusting politics he tried to force on this country.
Translation: He/she is allowed a state funeral, only if I agree with their views.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #177
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Translation: He/she is allowed a state funeral, only if I agree with their views.
Not quite.

Translation: Layton doesn't deserve a state funeral.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #178
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not quite.

Translation: Layton doesn't deserve a state funeral.
I hate everything you try too hard to be
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:18 PM   #179
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I said that I liked her take on it and there is no real debate that he was working a political angle. If you read the letter rather than just mindlessly spouting off about it you would be able to see this.
Usually when someone is "working a political angle", they are doing it with some sort of personal benefit in mind. This guy knew he was dying and knew he wasn't going to gain anything. He asked people to continue working towards something he believed in after he died.

The bashers in this thread sound like ideologues in the vein of Rush Limbaugh.

You didn't like him. We get it.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #180
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I hate everything you try too hard to be
Don't try to be anything.

And if you hate it then it is likely the right way to go.

Tags
canada , layton , ndp