Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #161
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I haven't watched the new series enough to notice anything like that.

The thing that made Carl Sagan so good is that you never got the feeling that he was trying to proselytize his message in that series. It makes me glad that I watched the original series in an era before social media and when I was innocent enough to not even know that there was a debate.

The whole fact that things have to be portrayed as "us versus them" these days is sad and I think it's just going to chase people away from wanting to participate in either.

While Sagan was highly critical of zealots and organized religion, he also thought that spirituality and science were totally compatible and science could be a source for spirituality. I much prefer to see that angle delivered. It just seems more positive and more effective if you really want to get religious people interested in science. Attacking just pushes them further away.
I'm just speculating based off of the appearance I saw on Colbert where he just seemed exhausted at the need of having to explain things that have been known since Sagan's time. As I said, Tyson said that the thing he thinks Sagan would find most surprising is the state of science and how much of a battle still wages to try and have people believe it. Maybe Sagan was more optimistic on how Cosmos would be received and Tyson is more cynical about to get the point across. It's pure speculation on my part.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #162
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The thing that made Carl Sagan so good is that you never got the feeling that he was trying to proselytize his message in that series. It makes me glad that I watched the original series in an era before social media and when I was innocent enough to not even know that there was a debate.
I think in the Original Cosmos, we were still in the Cold War, and there was certainly an emphasis by Sagan on avoiding nuclear holocaust. Global Warming was just starting to be hinted at. At the time, his evolution animation would have been very controversial. One of his themes was how insignificant we are in the Cosmos.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #163
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think in the Original Cosmos, we were still in the Cold War, and there was certainly an emphasis by Sagan on avoiding nuclear holocaust. Global Warming was just starting to be hinted at. At the time, his evolution animation would have been very controversial. One of his themes was how insignificant we are in the Cosmos.
Not sure if this is a comparison with targeting young earthers in the last episode. But if it is, it's different because nuclear war and climate change both have significant implications to the mass population, whereas younger earthers are really just one interest group. It'd be nice if they knew better, but really, no one is gonna die because of the existence of young earthers.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #164
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Not sure if this is a comparison with targeting young earthers in the last episode. But if it is, it's different because nuclear war and climate change both have significant implications to the mass population, whereas younger earthers are really just one interest group. It'd be nice if they knew better, but really, no one is gonna die because of the existence of young earthers.
Not making a comparison - just thinking that Sagan did have an agenda and a message.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #165
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While that one 2 min spot was directed at young earthers, he has been pretty adament about evolution and the supression of science by religion in general. People may not be dieing as a result of young-earthers existence, but they are certainly dieing because of religions' existence and our whole species is progressing slower than it should as a result of their insistence on spreading falsehoods.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #166
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The problem for me is that it felt targeted towards on one specific audience when really the show should be meant for the masses. He might as well said "I'm looking at you, young-earthers!" at the end of that segment.
It was about as obvious a shot at "creationists" or whatever term you want to use as you can get. I didn't like it, should have just said something like, "this is what a 10,000 year old observable universe would look like" and leave it at that. People that think the Earth is 6,000 years old are not going to be convinced anyway no matter what evidence is put in front of their face. They'll just say "god created things this way" which explains everything in their minds.

But for me that's a small quibble I love the show even though it is a bit too basic for my tastes, hopefully we'll see things shift to the more detailed and complex scientific content. I would also like to see more actual content not nearly everything computer generated.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #167
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
It was about as obvious a shot at "creationists" or whatever term you want to use as you can get. I didn't like it, should have just said something like, "this is what a 10,000 year old observable universe would look like" and leave it at that. People that think the Earth is 6,000 years old are not going to be convinced anyway no matter what evidence is put in front of their face. They'll just say "god created things this way" which explains everything in their minds.

But for me that's a small quibble I love the show even though it is a bit too basic for my tastes, hopefully we'll see things shift to the more detailed and complex scientific content. I would also like to see more actual content not nearly everything computer generated.
I would have liked to see starlight in a 10,000 year scale, 1 mil and 1 billion scale. Much more neutral and super informative.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #168
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would have liked to see starlight in a 10,000 year scale, 1 mil and 1 billion scale. Much more neutral and super informative.
That's what I would have liked to have seen as well. A 45 second segment on the different stages of the lit universe. However, their point might have been to get people talking about it and they succeeded in that.

I also don't think the show is trying to change creationists minds. I think they are trying to reach the younger audience who just might listen. This show would be seen in many science classes.

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 04-04-2014 at 04:13 PM.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #169
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm too dumb to understand that electron orbitals part.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:05 AM   #170
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm too dumb to understand that electron orbitals part.
You mean the part that science today still can't completely explain? How honest of you.

To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #171
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really enjoyed this episode. Light is a pretty crazy thing.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #172
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
You mean the part that science today still can't completely explain? How honest of you.

I didn't realize it was that unknown, except the "downshifting" part which he admitted. I guess I feel a lot less stupid now.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #173
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Really cool episode. I think the series has really hit its stride.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #174
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Yeah, really enjoyed the last three episodes. The first two nearly put me off though, especially when they upsell into commercial and I know what's coming next.

Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of commercials? Or is it just because they constantly try to leave you hanging/present a mystery going into break? Sometimes it's too much.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #175
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Unbelievable, but why am I not surprised.

Kansas lawmakers want to ban FOX from airing COSMOS because...

Quote:
This show has no basis in reality whatsoever. The host goes on and on about science and scientific method, but never once does he say anything positive about Jesus. He claims evolution and global warming are facts, not the opinions we all know them to really be. And he very proudly tells viewers that he wants our children to question authority, question religion and faith. This show won’t rest until all of our children are godless heathen liberals. - See more at: http://nationalreport.net/kansas-bla....YZc6vQWk.dpuf
The lawmakers do propose an alternative option to FOX.

Max Ehrmann
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #176
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, Kansas has really gone off the deep end in the last year or so huh?
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #177
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Unbelievable, but why am I not surprised.

Kansas lawmakers want to ban FOX from airing COSMOS because...

The lawmakers do propose an alternative option to FOX.
FYI, that's an Onion-esque fake news site.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/Fak...osmos-Show.htm
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #178
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
FYI, that's an Onion-esque fake news site.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/Fak...osmos-Show.htm

But. But. It is such a well written and believable news story...

Max Ehrmann
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #179
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post

But. But. It is such a well written and believable news story...
To be fair, American religious conservatives have drifted dangerously into Poe's law territory over the past several years.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #180
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

An atom is mostly empty space. A nucleus is the size of a dust mote inside a cathedral.