Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2024, 01:28 AM   #161
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

who said cheaped out? it totally changes the trade value
Old 05-22-2024, 01:45 AM   #162
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
who said cheaped out? it totally changes the trade value
Sure, but in this stage of the Flames roster construction, what good is cap space going to do except buy better picks?
butterfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 05:54 AM   #163
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
LeBrun says we cheaped out on getting a 1st rounder by not taking back Johansen or Ceci? That is pretty bad if true.

What good is cap space going to do for us next year if we don't use it to buy picks?

Tanev probably had Edmonton on his no-trade list, but Colorado too? I suppose it's possible but I can't imagine why he wouldn't want to go there.

Maybe the scouts really love Grushnikov; I hope so.
If i recall what Conroy said it sounded like a mix of Tanev preferring the destination and them liking the prospect and working to get who they perceived as a younger, similar player back. When Grusch became available they moved on a deal with Dallas.

Now Tanev needs to get his cup then come back and mentor the kid we got for him.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:12 AM   #164
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
The Dallas/Colorado series was entertaining. Both teams knew how to play and play with pace. They both moved the puck well and played a solid team game.

I felt the Edmonton/Vancouver series was boring. Vancouver was weak most of the series and Edmonton couldn't exploit that as well as a true contender would have.

Dallas won't play scared. They'll just play. On the other end of the ice McDavid and Draisaitl will get frustrated early. They'll get burned out because they need to be on the ice more than 30 minutes per game since the rest of the team won't pull their weight. If Dallas plays the body on those two and does it a lot then round 3 will be a waste of 8 days for Edmonton.

Late in the Oilers/Nucks series, there was mention of McDavid being banged up and possibly playing through an injury of some kind, which wouldn't be surprising with how much ice time the wonder twins log. There's a s*** ton of mileage on those two guys, and I imagine they're getting pretty gassed and beat up at this point.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 07:20 AM   #165
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LeBrun says we cheaped out on getting a 1st rounder by not taking back Johansen or Ceci? That is pretty bad if true.

What good is cap space going to do for us next year if we don't use it to buy picks?

Tanev probably had Edmonton on his no-trade list, but Colorado too? I suppose it's possible but I can't imagine why he wouldn't want to go there.

The Flames almost certainly got more value in a former 2nd, a 2nd and a 3rd that could turn into a second than they would have with a late 1st and an untradeable cap anchor.

Plus if they are going to use cap space I would much prefer a guy like Kuzmenko who can contribute and actually has trade value if the Flames decide to trade him in the future.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 05-22-2024 at 07:26 AM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:51 AM   #166
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Dallas was underestimated in 2022 when we played them. They had a coach that kind of held back that offensive game, but they took us to game 7 OT and let’s not lie here although we dominated them they also had glorious chances to win it early in that OT.

They have only gotten better since. They lost in the conference finals last year and are back again with that experience.

As amazing as Otteinger was in that series Markstrom was almost as good. If Dallas plays that same game Skinner is going to be on the unemployment line.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 08:26 AM   #167
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
sounds like BS...they are arguing Ceci is a good player and not a negative value lol
Hey now! He scored in game 7! He's only -6 through two rounds. Not too shabby for an Oiler.

Last edited by Buff; 05-22-2024 at 08:32 AM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 08:29 AM   #168
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Late in the Oilers/Nucks series, there was mention of McDavid being banged up and possibly playing through an injury of some kind, which wouldn't be surprising with how much ice time the wonder twins log. There's a s*** ton of mileage on those two guys, and I imagine they're getting pretty gassed and beat up at this point.
Completely plausible. However, when McDavid isn't scoring 3 points per game and Sportsnet questions if he's maybe injured.... I can't help but think they're trying to build a story for when he starts to score again so they can say "Look at how courageous this amazing leader is".
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 08:34 AM   #169
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Completely plausible. However, when McDavid isn't scoring 3 points per game and Sportsnet questions if he's maybe injured.... I can't help but think they're trying to build a story for when he starts to score again so they can say "Look at how courageous this amazing leader is".
More like an excuse for when he loses.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 08:40 AM   #170
Lonestar
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I am absolutely going to a game or two. I won't be "that" guy wearing a Flames sweater in Dallas, but E=NG. I don't care they're the last Canadian team with a bunch of Canadian players blah blah. Go Stars Go.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lonestar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 10:04 AM   #171
Toast_Man
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
One of the guys on the NHL network today (Boomer maybe?) said Seravalli needed a drug test and that his “Canada’s team” comment was one of the worst takes in hockey. Didn’t mention Calgary, but did mention that every single person outside Alberta would be cheering against the Oilers.

Obviously knew what he was talking about.
Seravalli was being a huge troll. He went on the Barnburner and said the exact same stuff. Pinder pushed back saying the rivalry was comparable to Philly/Pitts, while Frank disagreed saying it's different because Canada invented hockey and Canadians should support a Canadian team. Seravalli just being an absolute troll, you could hear it in his voice.
Toast_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 10:18 AM   #172
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oiler fans are just intolerable human beings. The current effort is to try to spin the 7 game series against Van as, "it would have been a sweep, but their rookie goalie played like Patrick Roy in 86 and stole games for them". Which of course isn't the case at all - Silovs played well, but he still had a negative GSAA and let in some point shots that shouldn't have beaten him. Expected goals in the series were 13-13 at even strength and 21-18 overall. The Oil just didn't play that well.

They're just so unbearably delusional.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 10:23 AM   #173
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's not cheaping out at all though.

2nd + Grushnikov + Conditional 3rd is pretty close in value to a 1st without taking on the bad contract.

Ceci is a $3.25M cap dump, Johansen was a $4M cap dump...that alone is worth a second and there is an opportunity cost to eating that cap for next year that has to be factored in.

Those teams wanted the Flames to do them a favour and the Flames didn't bite, has nothing to do with being cheap, has to do with these teams not paying the price associated with taking the cap dump.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 10:27 AM   #174
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can very likely get more for your cap space in the summer when there are more buyers for it, and fewer teams who have resigned themselves to a year missing the playoffs, than at the deadline. The flip side is that the cap is going up and you've squandered the value of the cap room you had this season, but it's not that much of a loss.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:25 AM   #175
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It's not cheaping out at all though.

2nd + Grushnikov + Conditional 3rd is pretty close in value to a 1st without taking on the bad contract.

Ceci is a $3.25M cap dump, Johansen was a $4M cap dump...that alone is worth a second and there is an opportunity cost to eating that cap for next year that has to be factored in.

Those teams wanted the Flames to do them a favour and the Flames didn't bite, has nothing to do with being cheap, has to do with these teams not paying the price associated with taking the cap dump.
Late 1st for Tanev
+ 2nd/3rd for the cap dump.

A 1st for Tanev and the cap dump favor isn't fair value.

I'm fine with the Dallas deal. I suspect we'll get the extra pick from it as well.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:38 PM   #176
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I see this as a battle of a team that built their team by drafting well and developed their players vs a team that tanked for almost a decade and got 1 generational and another pseudo generational player. Go Dallas, show there’s a way to win without accumulating top 10 draft picks
Old 05-22-2024, 12:40 PM   #177
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast_Man View Post
Seravalli was being a huge troll. He went on the Barnburner and said the exact same stuff. Pinder pushed back saying the rivalry was comparable to Philly/Pitts, while Frank disagreed saying it's different because Canada invented hockey and Canadians should support a Canadian team. Seravalli just being an absolute troll, you could hear it in his voice.
He is not a insider or a reporter TMZ is just a basement blogger.

You don't see any reputable insiders act the way he does, or post articles about the Edmonton coaches balls.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 12:52 PM   #178
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm thinking, same thing with Pissy.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:05 PM   #179
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because it's unpossible for either guy to struggle.

The media is going to have a hard time coping with their age related decline. Going to be a whole lot of denial. These guys are getting worn hard in the first half of their careers though. Definitely not "fresh".
Old 05-22-2024, 01:07 PM   #180
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Marek already flat out stating that McDavid has to be hurt (today on the Marek Show).
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote