Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #161
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Thanks...that'll teach me for doing it on a Mac! Points only for the actual race. Assuming I can spell the drivers names right, it should all update automatically so doesn't take much time. I updated the original...and double checked the other entries.

This is our first year...for some reason there is WAYYYY more interest in F1 this year. Even sportscar racing has a thread with Baron von Kriterium posting updates.
I've honestly only loosely followed F1 the last few years since Hamilton left McLaren. Caught a couple races the year Rosberg won but that was it. Getting back into it this year because I finally bought a new steering wheel for my PC and have been playing the F1 game nonstop.

I bet that Netflix series has spurred interest as well

Last edited by btimbit; 03-30-2019 at 03:22 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:27 PM   #162
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Thanks...that'll teach me for doing it on a Mac! Points only for the actual race. Just figured people may like to see a "live update" and to make sure I've got entries right.

Assuming I can spell the drivers names right, it should all update automatically so doesn't take much time. I updated the original post...and double checked the other entries.

This is our first year...for some reason there is WAYYYY more interest in F1 this year. Even sportscar racing has a thread with Baron von Kriterium posting updates.
That Netflix series has been a huge score for F1. There's tons of people who were either a) fans of racing but never watched f1 or b) never watched racing, that are now following just because of that series.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:42 PM   #163
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love that there is more interest in F1 this year... got into it in 2008 when a friend from university was a huge fan, my fandom kind of waned at the beginning of the hybrid era, but got back in huge last year after becoming addicted to GT Sport on PS4 and wanting to get back into watching racing again. The fact that it's less weird for me to be up at 5AM watching free practice sessions makes me very happy.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:24 PM   #164
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That Netflix series has been a huge score for F1. There's tons of people who were either a) fans of racing but never watched f1 or b) never watched racing, that are now following just because of that series.
or (c) used to follow it and drifted away from it. I used to follow it in the Senna Prost days, then was a big Jordan fan then drifted away from it during the Schumacher domination years where most races were a procession. Been away from it a long time.

The Netflix series has totally revamped my interest, simply because of the more complete picture of the teams and drivers. I found myself rooting for Ocon hoping he would get a seat but what Hamilton said was very telling in that often talent is overlooked for lesser drivers that bring more sponsorship to the team.

Sad to see how far Williams have fallen.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #165
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excited for the race tomorrow. Bahrain is the only Grand Prix I have attended, so have fond memories.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:26 PM   #166
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

F1 slowly increasing their presence on sites like youtube has to be beneficial in growing interest as well. Always the first to upload highlights, 'paddock pass' videos, top 10s, some interviews, on board footage, etc. Bringing Will Buxton in to be an in-house reporter rather than work for a third party is an interesting move that could pay off as well

Last edited by btimbit; 03-30-2019 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:29 AM   #167
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vettell not wasting any time. Pulling ahead early

Last edited by btimbit; 03-31-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:35 AM   #168
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn! Sainz looking strong to start but looked like he made contact with Verstappen. Brutal
Old 03-31-2019, 10:26 AM   #169
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ohh no Vettel! What a battle but what a way to drop down after. Brutal
Old 03-31-2019, 10:34 AM   #170
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leclerc's turbo is toast. I placed an in race bet for Hamilton to win when he was behind Vettel. Double meat at Subway all this week!
Old 03-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #171
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton making up pace fast now. Going to be an interesting final 10 laps. Would love to see a Ferrari on the top of the podium.

Heartbreaking for Leclerc
Old 03-31-2019, 10:42 AM   #172
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Renault....wtf.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 10:51 AM   #173
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus Renault. What a #### up
Old 03-31-2019, 10:53 AM   #174
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 Renault powered cars retired.

I can almost see the smirk on Horners face right now
Old 03-31-2019, 10:56 AM   #175
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Riccardo totally messed up leaving Red Bull. Prob a career ending moment.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:57 AM   #176
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard not to feel bad for Leclerc, and for fans at that. It looks like Mercedes will go unrivalled yet again.

Haas totally fell apart there, which is disappointing, clearly the 1 out strategy was not a good one.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #177
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Normally I'd be annoyed at the anticlimactic finish under safety car but I'm so glad it kept Leclerc on the podium
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 11:59 AM   #178
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, that race certainly didnt lack for drama.

Haas - losing Grosjean early after the touch with Stroll (iirc). Magnussen got poor strategy (same as Ricciardo)

Ferrari - Poor Leclerc...absolutely dominant all weekend. I'm super glad he got a podium still. And Vettel continues with the costly mistakes from last year. Spins without being touched by Hamilton, flat spots his tires, and then explodes/vibrates off his front wing. I read that Ferrari had overcooled the car in Australia and thats why they were so slow...then they were pushing the cars in Bahrain practice to test the new power. Wonder if they pushed too hard?

Mercedes - Lucky. Bottas didnt look nearly as good an both cars looked twitchy again.

McLaren - Norris looking strong and that car looks like a serious mid tier contender.

Renault - WTF. Seriously. Hulk blows an engine and Ricciardo loses power within seconds of each other. I think his car was still "live" at the end (according to Sky). The marshalls couldnt move it and the lights were flashing, even with no steering wheel. Lol.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 12:05 PM   #179
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's early and Haas and Renault will eventually get their poop in a group, but I'd be thrilled to see McLaren battle for 4th.

Also the underrated drive of the day for me has to go to Raikkonen. Alfa could be a strong midfield contender if they had another strong driver, but Iceman is still as smooth as ever
Old 03-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #180
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, the new entries to the pool had massive points this weekend. Rather Dashing + BagoPucks with 62 + 61pts respectively. They also jump to 2nd and 3rd overall after 2 races, just behind IronMaiden. A bunch of us also got shut out from any correct picks as well.

After P4 no one had a correct pick. And once again, no one got fastest lap bonus points for picking Leclerc P3.

Next race is 2 weeks in China for the 1000th GP in F1 history.

As always let me know if there looks like any mistakes...crappy picks dont count (or I'd be much further ahead, lol).
Spoiler!
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post: