Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #161
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
but but, you might be in the pocket of big Pharma
I don't do any work for Big Pharma (or Big Placebo for that matter)

For the record, I got my flu shot this year (with thiomersal) and for the last several years, my wife gets her flu shot every year, including (especially) when she was pregnant, and both my kids have had their flu shot every year since they were 6 months old, as well as all other recommended vaccinations on schedule. I do practice what I preach
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #162
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Yeah but, I really loathe string theorists, in fact I have vowed jihad on them to which I will give my life in order to bomb them into the hell they obviously have come from in order to spread that vile theory.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper says Hello and Bazinga!
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #163
itcrossedtheline
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZT...layer_embedded

Interesting way to present the vaccination argument by Penn & Teller
itcrossedtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to itcrossedtheline For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #164
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lmao that is a classic.

/thread.
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #165
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah that evil natural-news website. How dare they promote supplements and health food over pharmaceuticals!

If you guys like your shots so much, check out what Gulf-War Syndrome is.....

Last edited by mikey_the_redneck; 01-07-2011 at 03:53 PM.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #166
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
Yeah that evil natural-news website. How dare they promote supplements and health food over pharmaceuticals!
You would have made an excellent snake oil salesman.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #167
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever I read through threads like this, for some reason I always envision the anti-vaccine people as Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah's couch.

It is totally logical to question whether or not vaccines are worthwhile, but after overwhelming evidence from multiple sources states that the benefits of vaccines far outweigh the statistically marginal costs, the debate is over for me unless groundbreaking peer-reviewed new evidence is added to the debate.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #168
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

If wakefields and others data were true, we would see millions of autism cases in children. The proofs in the pudding!
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #169
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
If wakefields and others data were true, we would see millions of autism cases in children. The proofs in the pudding!
Autism in children has increased dramatically since the early 90's. Could be vaccines, could not be, but I'm not getting in line every year for something marginally helpful, if at all.
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #170
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Autism in children has increased dramatically since the early 90's. Could be vaccines, could not be, but I'm not getting in line every year for something marginally helpful, if at all.
Source? I could definitely buy that children diagnosed with autism or a disorder on the autism spectrum has increased but do you have any proof that actual instances have?

Another example: Compare the 1950's to the 1970's to the 2000's. I would bet that the number of kids diagnosed with ADD/ADHD have seen a *mild to moderate* increase. Is that a case of increased ADD or is it simply an increased rate of the diagnosis of ADD?
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #171
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/features/counting-autism.html

The average total ASD prevalence in 2006 (children born in 1998) was 9.0 per 1,000 children, which translates to one in 110 children.

All ten communities participating in both the earlier 2002 and 2006 study years observed an increase in identified ASD prevalence ranging from 27 percent to 95 percent, with an average increase of 57 percent.

No single factor explains the changes in identified ASD prevalence over the time period studied. Although some of the increases are due to better detection, a true increase in risk cannot be ruled out.

http://www.skepticnorth.com/2010/02/where-are-th

One question that crops up during discussions of autism prevalence is “If autism isn’t on the rise, then why aren’t there more adults with autism? Where are all of the autistic adults?”

There are plenty of adults with autism, but I think these are some of a few reasons for this question

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=95

A new study sheds more light on the question of what is causing the recent increase in the rate of diagnosis of autism. Professor Dorothy Bishop from the University of Oxford studied adults who were diagnosed in 1980 with a developmental language disorder. She asked the question – if these people were subjected to current diagnostic criteria for autism, how many of them would be diagnosed today as having autism? She found that 25% of them would. (Bishop 2008)

It should also be noted that all of this research, while supporting the hypothesis that the rise in autism diagnoses is not due to a true increase in the incidence but rather is due to a broadening of the definition and increased surveillance, does not rule out a small genuine increase in the true incidence. A small real increase can be hiding in the data. There is no evidence upon which we can conclude, however, that true autism rates are increasing.

Of course the implications of this are profound. If there is no autism epidemic, if there is a “stable incidence” of autism over recent decades, then this alone is powerful evidence against the vaccine hypothesis – and in fact removes the primary piece of evidence for a vaccine-autism connection. Just as a true increase in incidence would have called out for an environmental factor causing autism, the lack of any increase argues strongly against any environment factor – especially when this is combined with the copious evidence for multiple genetic factors as the ultimate cause(s) of ASD.

Last edited by troutman; 01-07-2011 at 04:26 PM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #172
joe_mullen
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It should also be noted that vaccination rates have been on the decline without any corresponding decrease in autism prevalence.
joe_mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #173
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah your right, big placebo works!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #174
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Gulf war syndrome wasn't caused by vaccinations if that's what you're getting at...

The anthrax vaccines definitely weren't a good thing, but they didn't cause GWS.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #175
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Gulf War Syndrome is scary stuff...

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #176
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As a couple of others have suggested, autism rates aren't necessarily rising; the way it is diagnosed has changed. I read about a study a year or so ago where they looked at people in different age groups using the current diagnostic criteria, and found pretty constant rates across all age groups. It's possible there could be a small increase buried in there, but one of the known risk factors (parental age) is also increasing.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:52 AM   #177
Day Tripper
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Not only to promote, but to sell: http://store.naturalnews.com/

Yes, yes, I'm sure these natural health gurus have absolutely the best intentions for everyone. They aren't looking to make a few bucks, are they?

I don't know about this site in particular, but if these gurus are knowingly selling worthless crap and spreading misinformation about real medicine that saves lives, then they are pretty damn evil.
Day Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #178
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

A smackdown on radio against the famous Australian lady directly responsible for a town in Australia having some of the lowest rates of vaccinations in the western world.

http://www.2ue.com.au/blogs/2ue-blog...107-19i9a.html
Old 01-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #179
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

^ Meryl Dorey was named Jackass of the Year on SGU:

http://www.theskepticsguide.org/arch...?mid=1&pid=285
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #180
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
A smackdown on radio against the famous Australian lady directly responsible for a town in Australia having some of the lowest rates of vaccinations in the western world.

http://www.2ue.com.au/blogs/2ue-blog...107-19i9a.html
Gah, that's painful just to listen to. Let alone the thought of that nutbar spreading stupidity to kill kids.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote