Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2024, 01:05 PM   #161
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vlad with a full interview on live TV in English. Great to see his confidence increasing.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 10:24 AM   #162
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kikuchi is setting himself up for a terrible season. Hopefully I am just over reacting about his spring season performance, but I don't see him as a regular starter at the end of the season.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:47 PM   #163
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We'll see with Kikuchi

When he's terrible its because he's got no control and he hasn't been giving up lots of walks this spring. There is hope
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 01:38 PM   #164
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1771982288315633847
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 03:20 PM   #165
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Votto hasn’t had an at bat since he hurt his ankle. Likely going to take some time down in Buffalo before coming up. Hopefully Vogelbach can bring some late inning pinch hit power.

I don’t think there is room for Vogelbach and Votto on the team - just too many guys who need to play DH.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 03:24 PM   #166
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
interesting , I realize Lukes was always a long shot but somehow I had him making it,

was at Kikuchi's start yesterday. he was kind of terrible- it was warm and windy and the ball was carrying. problem was walks and homers- I didn't have a great perspective on home plate but not sure he was getting many calls. I'm worried I think, but dunno with him- at times his stuff looked fine

hoping to go tomorrow- not sure its been decided yet if Gausman is pitching for the big team or in a minor league start, would be interesting to see him
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 03:27 PM   #167
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
0.8 WAR with almost 600 ABs last year is not great value at all though. We have a defense first glove at CF, the Jays desperately need runs, Varsho absolutely has to turn into something for this team to have a chance at succeeding.
No it isn't. I'm very irritated that we have a glove 1st guy playing a corner outfield.... again.That's where you put the guys you need to hit bombs. Varsho should be in center and we should have a much better bat in left. Never should have brought Kiermaier back.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 03:34 PM   #168
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
interesting , i realize lukes was always a long shot but somehow i had him making it,

was at kikuchi's start yesterday. He was kind of terrible- it was warm and windy and the ball was carrying. Problem was walks and homers- i didn't have a great perspective on home plate but not sure he was getting many calls. I'm worried i think, but dunno with him- at times his stuff looked fine

hoping to go tomorrow- not sure its been decided yet if gausman is pitching for the big team or in a minor league start, would be interesting to see him

https://twitter.com/user/status/1771988492681154834
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 03:57 PM   #169
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
No it isn't. I'm very irritated that we have a glove 1st guy playing a corner outfield.... again.That's where you put the guys you need to hit bombs. Varsho should be in center and we should have a much better bat in left. Never should have brought Kiermaier back.
Who did you want them to put out there ? The Jays haven’t developed any power hitters in the last 5 years. It’s an issue
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 04:44 PM   #170
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Who did you want them to put out there ?
Juan Soto?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 04:48 PM   #171
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree that it's an issue that they haven't developed power hitters recently. As for who? Sign someone. Power hitters are still on the market. If they wanted a guy who could potentially hit for a good average they could've looked at Guerriel again. Anyway, OFers with power are the easiest position to find arguably. To go all in on defence first for two of those OF positions is purely experimental with little chance of success. To me they're not a championship contender heading into this year, so I don't mind the sillyness that took place this off-season. But next year if somehow they retool, they have to put KK on the bench.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:11 PM   #172
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

They can easily trade for a power bat at the deadline . Better then committing 50 million to an average player
Old 03-25-2024, 12:38 AM   #173
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
They can easily trade for a power bat at the deadline . Better then committing 50 million to an average player
Yeah, but we also say that it's easy and then the deadline comes and everyone talks about how no one's giving up power hitting and the Blue Jays add no one.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:13 AM   #174
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's also not a guarantee that they'll be in a playoff spot at the deadline. This isn't the Vegas Golden Knights that are good enough to get in with a couple of stars out "injured". They barely made it last year with essentially zero injuries to pitchers, and the offense is worse on paper, imo. It's likely cheaper to add a power bat at the deadline, but I can also see them not doing that either because they're out or the cost is too high.
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM   #175
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
It's also not a guarantee that they'll be in a playoff spot at the deadline. This isn't the Vegas Golden Knights that are good enough to get in with a couple of stars out "injured". They barely made it last year with essentially zero injuries to pitchers, and the offense is worse on paper, imo. It's likely cheaper to add a power bat at the deadline, but I can also see them not doing that either because they're out or the cost is too high.
Exactly. If you know you're deficient and in need of some power, why not get that in place now while there's 162 games left to make up / earn ground on Division / WC opponents. This year's offseason is a recipe to be selling at the deadline rather than buying.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:11 PM   #176
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1772322256691118225
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 02:23 PM   #177
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gausman looked really good today. not much happened on offense- triples by KK and Biggio in the same inning was the highlight.

Pop struggled in relief duties
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 04:06 PM   #178
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Exactly. If you know you're deficient and in need of some power, why not get that in place now while there's 162 games left to make up / earn ground on Division / WC opponents. This year's offseason is a recipe to be selling at the deadline rather than buying.
Because there were not a lot of good options who
Provided a better WAR then Kier

Or you guys want a worse WAR player who hits more HRs just because ?
Old 03-25-2024, 06:16 PM   #179
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I hate to throw this out you're speaking facts, but perhaps something isn't quite right with WAR and it's overvaluing defence. Our friend Chapman had a 4.4 WAR. Ultimately outfield positions should provide better bats. You really can't tell me these guys were that valuable despite the stat valuing them as such.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:32 PM   #180
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think it's possible to get passable defense in the corner outfield from someone who can also hit for power. I think it's at least possible the WAR formula overvalues defensive prowess in outfielders, although I'm not knowledgeable enough to say that for sure.

As an example, I present the following catch in left field by Davis Schneider.

Last edited by bizaro86; 03-25-2024 at 06:34 PM.