Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2015, 06:10 PM   #161
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Kanzig scored his first of the season tonight, couldn't wipe the smile off his face either. Was nice to see.
It sounds like he's been playing well for the Hitmen lately. I wonder how he'll fare in the pro leagues...
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #162
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
It sounds like he's been playing well for the Hitmen lately. I wonder how he'll fare in the pro leagues...
He had another good game today, scored a goal and added to his impressive plus/minus since joining the Hitmen, going +2 on the night. +18 in 23 for Calgary.

Kanzig got beat wide in the third, tried to recover and took a penalty which lead to a goal against but besides that, good game. He's been paired with 16 year old rookie Jake Bean so he's not the anchor on his pairing by any stretch, pays lots of important minutes for them too.

Can't see a lot of NHL upside here but I finally see what the Flames saw in him.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 PM   #163
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am very impressed with our Austin Carroll pick so far.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:09 PM   #164
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I am very impressed with our Austin Carroll pick so far.
It's certainly important to weigh the fact that he's an overager. Tons of overagers put up numbers like his and never get a sniff.

What sets him apart for me is he's doing it while still possessing nhl desirable traits: size, grit and skating. He may never be a top six guy (not limiting him, but less likely), but he's got the jam to be a really good depth bottom 6.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:01 AM   #165
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
It's certainly important to weigh the fact that he's an overager. Tons of overagers put up numbers like his and never get a sniff.

What sets him apart for me is he's doing it while still possessing nhl desirable traits: size, grit and skating. He may never be a top six guy (not limiting him, but less likely), but he's got the jam to be a really good depth bottom 6.
If we get another Ferland type prospect out of Carroll I will be very happy with that pick. Big need for us in the prospect pool, even if like you say he is a bottom 6 guy - hes a RW with grit and who has at least a bit of scoring touch. Will be interesting to watch him in Addy next season for sure.

Edit: Just checked - he is listed as a LW who shoots right. Can anyone confirm for me his natural position.

Last edited by Crumpy-Gunt; 01-19-2015 at 05:06 AM.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #166
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

So since we won't be able to call it "Addy" next year, what are we going to call it? "Stocky"?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #167
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So since we won't be able to call it "Addy" next year, what are we going to call it? "Stocky"?
209 Wut Wut!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #168
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If they're like me, I assume that most people use "Addy" instead of typing out Adirondack because they're unsure exactly how to spell Adirondack (thank you Chrome spell checker). That's also why I usually call Baertschi, Sven. Otherwise, I have to put conscious thought into spelling Baertschi correctly.

Stockton will probably just be Stockton. Or, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, perhaps Glockton.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #169
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I don't have any idea how to evaluate goalies in junior either. I know that stats don't always mean much. Look at Keatley's stats the year we drafted him and he only went in the 5th round which later proved out as probably where he should have been picked.
The Quebec league has the lowest save percentage among junior leagues. .904 ranks 3rd in the league where it would be below average in the WHL. He's miles ahead of Furcale.

He is trending very well, just the QMJHL save percentage numbers make his look less impressive than you'd think.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #170
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me I know how to spell things, I'm just lazy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If they're like me, I assume that most people use "Addy" instead of typing out Adirondack because they're unsure exactly how to spell Adirondack (thank you Chrome spell checker). That's also why I usually call Baertschi, Sven. Otherwise, I have to put conscious thought into spelling Baertschi correctly.

Stockton will probably just be Stockton. Or, in keeping with the spirit of this thread, perhaps Glockton.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #171
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
The Quebec league has the lowest save percentage among junior leagues. .904 ranks 3rd in the league where it would be below average in the WHL. He's miles ahead of Furcale.

He is trending very well, just the QMJHL save percentage numbers make his look less impressive than you'd think.
For comparisons sake, Marc-Andre Fleury had a 3.36 GAA and .910 S% in his draft year. He went first overall.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #172
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

@CHLHockey: The @VaughnHockey #CHL Goaltender of the Week is @NHLFlames prospect @mmcdonald96 of @IslandersHKY 2-0 record, 1 SO, 1.00 GAA, .971 SV%
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #173
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
@CHLHockey: The @VaughnHockey #CHL Goaltender of the Week is @NHLFlames prospect @mmcdonald96 of @IslandersHKY 2-0 record, 1 SO, 1.00 GAA, .971 SV%
He's just trying to keep pace with Joni
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #174
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

A chance to watch Carroll

John Shannon @JSportsnet
Need a Hockey fix tonight? Kamloops at Victoria. 730 PT/1030 ET on all the Sportsnet regions. CHL Friday Night Hockey.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #175
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Darren Haynes ‏@DarrenWHaynes
#Flames 2014 2nd rd pick Mason McDonald is making noise with Charlottetown. He's stopped 82 of 85 shots in reeling off three straight wins.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #176
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Had front row behind the goal seats to the Hitmen game last night. 8-0 thrashing over the Giants which was great to see.

I was constantly watching Kanzig being the Flame homer I am. He's not flashy by any means but damn is he intimidating. Any time he drifted towards a scrum you see the other team skating away. He got 0 PP time, but was on the first PK unit which saw a lot of action.

His skating was a bit awkward obviously but his first couple strides were very quick. He had no issues keeping up with the opposition. Doesn't seem possible to take him off his feet.

Definitely needs more time to develop, but he has a solid defensive game and is positionally sound. He was non-existent offensively though which will need some work.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2015, 12:13 AM   #177
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Had front row behind the goal seats to the Hitmen game last night. 8-0 thrashing over the Giants which was great to see.

I was constantly watching Kanzig being the Flame homer I am. He's not flashy by any means but damn is he intimidating. Any time he drifted towards a scrum you see the other team skating away. He got 0 PP time, but was on the first PK unit which saw a lot of action.

His skating was a bit awkward obviously but his first couple strides were very quick. He had no issues keeping up with the opposition. Doesn't seem possible to take him off his feet.

Definitely needs more time to develop, but he has a solid defensive game and is positionally sound. He was non-existent offensively though which will need some work.
I've noticed some big guys have trouble staying on their feet so this part sounds good.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #178
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Darren Haynes @DarrenWHaynes
Another good game for #Flames prospect Mason McDonald last night -- 39 saves in Charlottetown's 5-1 win. Is 5-1-0, .947 SV% in last 6 games.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #179
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who come out and said flat out McDonald sucks at the start of the season?

Having a heck of a season.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #180
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Me.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote