Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #1761
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for some bbq gloves? Looking for something I can use when carving/cutting or pulling pork.

I just use thin cotton liners underneath nitrile gloves.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #1762
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I keep flirting with buying a smoker. What do I need to know? Can I get a quality unit for $500’ish?

Gas, electric, charchol?
Old 11-07-2021, 07:40 PM   #1763
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So I keep flirting with buying a smoker. What do I need to know? Can I get a quality unit for $500’ish?

Gas, electric, charchol?
Costco and their Traeger units, the Pro 22 is $700. It's size is comparable to any BBQ and it's set it and forget it. I would either go with a pellet or charcoal smoker, you can use them as a regular grill too.

The features on pellet grills completely blow charcoal out of the water right now. My ribs and brisket on the Traeger are absolutely incredible, they are better than any I've had from any restaurant in the city
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #1764
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Gas, electric, charchol?
It really depends on how much you want to be involved with the cooking process. Electric is by the easiest as you just set the temp, load the unit with some wood pucks and forget about it. There are other options that are pretty easy but not necessarily fool proof. Charcoal is obviously a bit more involved and takes some time to figure things out.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:25 AM   #1765
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Last I was in Walmart they had the Weber portable charcoal kettle on sale for $20.

Anyone have any experience? Might be something fun to fart around with next summer?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:32 AM   #1766
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It really depends on how much you want to be involved with the cooking process. Electric is by the easiest as you just set the temp, load the unit with some wood pucks and forget about it. There are other options that are pretty easy but not necessarily fool proof. Charcoal is obviously a bit more involved and takes some time to figure things out.
yeah, that is sort of the answer i got from my research. i feel that charchol would likely give the best taste.

of course, i also wonder if i'll be able to afford any kind of meat in 2022
Old 11-08-2021, 07:06 AM   #1767
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yeah, that is sort of the answer i got from my research. i feel that charchol would likely give the best taste.

of course, i also wonder if i'll be able to afford any kind of meat in 2022
You can smoke vegetables.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #1768
Flambé
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have been enjoying my Coleman Cookout I purchased a few months ago, on sale at Canadian Tire for $600, regularly $800. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...-0853189p.html

I badly wanted a Green Mountain Grill Daniel Boone but it is out of my price range ($1,300CDN). I have smoked a brisket on my brother's GMG Davey Crockett, and it is what got me into pellet smokers.

The Coleman has been awesome so far. Lots of room (three racks, but I have yet to use the very top rack). It is sturdily built, and the pellet hopper holds a full 20lbs bag of pellets. It has two probes, and the temp controller is ok (I have swings of 20 degrees either way, as it is not a PID controller, but it is not constant and holds close to it's temperature for most of the cook). To date I have smoked three briskets (18lbs before trim), three pork butts, some chicken thighs, and I am doing another pork butt this Wednesday.

I use Lumberjack pellets, and there is a company in town that sells Lumberjack options that Wickerland doesn't (I prefer Pecan pellets) and an Ontario brand that I cannot recall. And he is in Mckenzie Towne, so much closer to my location.

My goal is to eventually own a GMG grill, but they keep making them fancier and fancier (wifi, glass window on the hood, internal lights, that they keep getting more expensive. I need to keep an eye out for an older model I guess.

Some day. Happy BBQing!
Flambé is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:04 PM   #1769
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Last I was in Walmart they had the Weber portable charcoal kettle on sale for $20.

Anyone have any experience? Might be something fun to fart around with next summer?
That's how I got into charcoal - at only $20 its hard to go wrong. My first one was around $50 or so. You can use it for a season and see if you like the aspects of charcoal. If so, then look to invest in a better version, but if not, then it won't hurt your wallet too bad.

I tend to think charcoal is pretty binary - either you like it or you don't. There is not much middle ground.
Old 11-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #1770
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t mess with Aussies and their right to barbecue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...lling-fish.amp
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #1771
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife bought me a Weber charcoal smoker for Christmas and after a few days of thinking, I opted to return in and bought a gas unit - masterbuilt 340.

I found it difficult to land on what to do in terms of electric, pellet, charcoal etc. never had so much angst over a $500 purchase.

Will assemble this over the next few days and start small with some steak or something, then go with ribs…..
Old 01-03-2022, 06:52 PM   #1772
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tried my hand at brisket again today and this was my best effort so far. Flavor and texture were great. Still could use some work on timing (and probably could go with a smaller brisket…but who says no to extra brisket?). It was 16 lbs and I ended up going about 10 hours at 250 on the big green egg. Had a little trouble getting the BGE up to 250 initially, but it stuck there really well for the whole cook.

https://imgur.com/a/xUnBlVZ
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2022, 03:05 PM   #1773
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put a 4 lb brisket in the gas smoker this morning, seemed to be done in 4 hrs.

I wrapped it in foil and am letting it sit, I am torn how or if I should reheat it for dinner as it was ready way to early
Old 01-09-2022, 03:09 PM   #1774
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I actually had a friend recommend using an air fryer for re-heating brisket. Not sure if you have one of those, but she was raving about results. I usually just put it in the oven for a bit because I hate microwaving meat leftovers. At only 4 hours, your brisket is likely going to be a little chewy.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:34 PM   #1775
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
I actually had a friend recommend using an air fryer for re-heating brisket. Not sure if you have one of those, but she was raving about results. I usually just put it in the oven for a bit because I hate microwaving meat leftovers. At only 4 hours, your brisket is likely going to be a little chewy.
I can see an air fryer working, I usually pan fry it with an offensive amount of butter and it comes out pretty good
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 03:44 PM   #1776
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good call. Yes, I like the pan fry with more butter than meat option too, especially for steak and eggs.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:11 PM   #1777
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wound up sticking it back in the smoker for a while. The end result was ok. A little dry in places. It was my first go at brisket on the smoker, so I new it would be a learning curve.

Will be trying steaks next time, the I have a sirloin roast
Old 01-09-2022, 08:18 PM   #1778
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It is definitely a process and I had the same thing happen with the first brisket I tried. I still struggle with steaks on the smoker and prefer them on the bbq, but roasts are amazing and I find to be pretty forgiving.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #1779
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought this was the most fitting in this thread, but I received an Ooni and I'm wondering if anyone else has one? I'm pretty excited to gorge myself into oblivion!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:12 PM   #1780
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I thought this was the most fitting in this thread, but I received an Ooni and I'm wondering if anyone else has one? I'm pretty excited to gorge myself into oblivion!
Yup - which style/model did you land?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber