Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2022, 01:17 PM   #1761
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Johnny was never signing here. That much is extremely clear, not sure how anyone can feel different? lol at Murray edwards or brad being mean to him making him not come back, get real.

This is like when your girlfriend dumps you and you delude yourself that if you had just gone to that party with her that one time she would have felt different. No. It was never happening. Stop it.
Or maybe just like Treliving, his agent, people close to the family, and Gaudreau have all said it was a very tough decision, it was 50/50, and it really came down to Tuesday.

I dont get why people think this must have been some conniving plan by Gaudreau and his agent to leave Calgary holding the bag and drive up his own value...to only then throw away all leverage by publically saying it wasn't about money and it was a family decision and then taking less money in what I still think was not his preferred location.

You really tricked us Gaudreau!
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:18 PM   #1762
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I am having a hard time believing Johnny was that unhappy with the organization and no one in the media or anywhere else picked this up.
The organization definitely had no clue.

Maybe switching teams is a bigger deal to us than it is to him. Of course then there's the money... WTF?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:18 PM   #1763
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Murray Edwards is the owner or one of them and we’re talking about a lot of money here, them being involved is a given regardless of what or how they negotiate. Was he a meanie, who knows?
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:19 PM   #1764
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I think the press conference leads me to believe that Johnny wanted to stay. His wife didn't and he can't throw her under the bus. But he talks about "we" and "best for us". That's why the squirming. That's why the changing of minds. I think he really wanted to come back, but ultimately they made the decision together.

Why Johnny wife wanted out is anyone's speculation. But she must have really hated someone in Calgary. Maybe the ghost of johnny's past. Maybe some of the wives. Maybe some of the players. Maybe some of the exes.

Johnny probably thought the money could convince her to stay. But it didn't. She wanted to start a new life together. anywhere else but Calgary
These are all wild guesses but he did have the same helpless stare as when Paul McCartney was with that crazy eco-ex-wife at the Canadian press conference together about why there were trying to prevent the Inuit from doing their traditional seal hunt. He totally was not into it but he couldn't do anything but toe the line with his wife's ranting about how Stephen Harper needs to stop the killing of Harp seals.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:19 PM   #1765
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, it's all pure speculation. But maybe, similar to that Trouba article, Johnny and his wife really took a look at what is best for both of them, and not just for Johnny's hockey career. 7 or 8 years is a long time to commit to a city, they took this as an opportunity to really pick where they want to settle and raise a family, and still play for a competitive team. Perhaps his wife really does have a lot better career opportunities in Columbus. Yes, they potentially left millions on the table, but it's not like Johnny isn't making a ton of money regardless of where he signs. He's still making $68M in the next 7 years. To him, sacrificing some money was worth it for the sake of family happiness. I don't see any fault in that.

And despite all of a sudden all the newfound CBJ haters coming on board, I don't think there's that much difference in team potential between them and the Flames in the long run. The Jackets have a lot of up and coming talent and could very well be the next Florida in a couple of years where the pieces all start clicking and they turn into a perennial playoff team.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 01:20 PM   #1766
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
He has a blue checkmark next to his name, therefore his opinion is important.
I'd like everyone to keep this important point in mind going forward. Also, thanks for the new sig!

Last edited by Fuzz; 07-14-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 01:21 PM   #1767
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
So you're arguing that family ties are stronger now than they were a year ago? Okay then.
No, it was the same, it’s just now he has the ability to receive offers from teams close to his hometown which clearly would’ve been very enticing for what Johnny values. Throw in a pregnant wife now instead of just a fiance at the time and yeah, things might have changed a bit.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #1768
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A typical nurse makes 100-150k/year

I don’t think throwing away 15M so she can work in a better hospital is a real reason.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #1769
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
First of all, there is little doubt her opinion/desires/career were important, and part of the decision. I mean, obviously.

But the argument that he chose Columbus because there is a great hospital there is still a really weak one IMO - there is a great children's hospital in every big city (or at the very least, many). Would it have been a bonus? Sure, no doubt. But I doubt Gaudreau chose the Jackets because of a hospital in town.
Plus, most likely, the next year she will be off on mat leave so there is a year of employment gone (at min), if they only have one child. I would guess that over the course of his contract there is 4 years max of employment at said children hospital. So not as big as an incentive when you start raising a young family over the next few years.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #1770
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Again, it's all pure speculation. But maybe, similar to that Trouba article, Johnny and his wife really took a look at what is best for both of them, and not just for Johnny's hockey career. 7 or 8 years is a long time to commit to a city, they took this as an opportunity to really pick where they want to settle and raise a family, and still play for a competitive team. Perhaps his wife really does have a lot better career opportunities in Columbus. Yes, they potentially left millions on the table, but it's not like Johnny isn't making a ton of money regardless of where he signs. He's still making $68M in the next 7 years. To him, sacrificing some money was worth it for the sake of family happiness. I don't see any fault in that.

And despite all of a sudden all the newfound CBJ haters coming on board, I don't think there's that much difference in team potential between them and the Flames in the long run. The Jackets have a lot of up and coming talent and could very well be the next Florida in a couple of years where the pieces all start clicking and they turn into a perennial playoff team.
The CBJ stuff is just having fun and nothing they are years away.

No one is faulting the decision he made. They are faulting how it came about. Trouba at the very least seems like he made his desire clear at an early stage.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 01:22 PM   #1771
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man, having just watched the Johnny presser its very apparent to me something is going on behind the scenes.

His justification/reasoning for "why columbus?" is extremely sketchy.
He has no definitive answer, looks lost and almost scrambled when having to answer it. His primary response of "the fans look fun to play in front of" almost makes no sense, its a canned response that you hear anyone say.

The look on his face the entire time has 0 confidence, he looks rattled throughout the entire interview. He stuttered multiple times which would indicate significant nerves, but that was never the case in Calgary. Asked about the players he didn't know much which is odd for a guy who apparently "researched" coming there.

He started off saying its a great for where my wife and I are at which jumped out to me.
But after that the similar questions he would answer with "I though it was a good spot for me personally" and "It was circled on my list".

Ultimately this to me screams of wanting out of the spotlight, his legacy and stardom in Calgary was NOT what they wanted and he clearly didn't like it when starting his family now. He wants to fade into the sunset and just play hockey and make his money. I think the hardest decision was John maybe wanted to stay but his wife thought this would be best for the family and he ultimately agreed.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:23 PM   #1772
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

who is actually hating on CBJ? I'm not mad at them one bit. On the contrary, they've experienced the same thing with Panarin a couple of years ago, so good on them.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #1773
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Don't you know. All this is the work of an Evil Woman
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #1774
PuckDemon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
No hate to JG on this but after reading the Gilbertson tweets, I think he just is a person who lacks grace and couth. A guy that just doesn't realize how a man carries himself. Which is probably related to being driven around and lavished with praise his whole life.
I kinda thought the opposite. Johnny kept his comments vague, knowing that the negative attention will be drawn to him, thereby deflecting any attention away from his wife.
PuckDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #1775
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Raleigh is closer to NJ than Columbus, he should have just gone there if the goal was to be close to family but no play for a bottom 5 team from last year
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #1776
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I don't hate Columbus, I just keep forgetting they have an NHL team.
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #1777
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Isn't she a nurse at a children's hospital?

I know that an hour and a half down the road (Cincinatti) has one of the best Children's hospital's in the US. Seems kinda far to commute though.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:26 PM   #1778
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post

I don’t think throwing away 15M so she can work in a better hospital is a real reason.
Maybe the work she’s doing means a lot to her, more so than money, which is a possibility.

I mean, they’re already millionaires. Johnny will have amassed over $110M in his career, does it really matter whether it’s $110M or $120M?
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #1779
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post

This is shortsighted. Money isn't everything, many spouses want their own fulfilling career and not just be a trophy sports wife blowing his money and chasing celebrity. In that sense she's probably a great catch for him in terms of long term happiness and stability.

If you gave me the choice between $15M and the perfect spouse I would choose the latter.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 01:28 PM   #1780
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leaving this here:

“Calgary has been a second home to me,” Gaudreau said. “I love playing there. I love my teammates there. I love the city. The fans are awesome. It’s a team that I could see myself playing for for the remainder of my career, and I’ve always said that. I know a lot of people have speculations of me wanting to go back east, but I just feel really comfortable where I’m at — with the teammates there, the coaching staff, with Brad (Treliving), the management, the owners …

“Throughout my whole time there, I’ve been treated really well. I love the city. It’s been a blast playing there the past six years. It’s unfortunate we haven’t reached the end-goal that we’ve wanted in the past, but it’s been a second home to me. My family loves it there. My girlfriend likes being there. It’s a special place for us.”
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:

Tags
incels outing themselves