Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2021, 05:56 PM   #1761
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Like I said, if I'm recalling correctly there was plenty of talk on this very board and in the media of the need for changes going back over the 2 year period. So people did notice something was off. Its not like everyone thought they were still flying high. I don't think its been at all unanimous that everyone wanted Gaudreau and Monahan to continue being the go to guys here.

I think Treliving has had plenty of time to see what has been unfolding in front of him and react accordingly.
While he has not managed to make the improvements many saw as necessary, I don't think Treliving can be faulted for not reacting accordingly. He made overtures to acquire Mark Stone, Nazem Kadri, Taylor Hall, Jason Zucker, Josh Anderson and Pierre Lucic Dubois. It is certainly fair to fault him for his inability to make changes, but I don't think anyone can legitimately say that Treliving was unaware of the need for change, nor unwilling to do anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 05:58 PM   #1762
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
The fans might recognize that it would take several years of growing assets to emerge as a contender but team management certainly didn't think that way. I don't care if people want to blame Treliving or the owners but the team should be good by now, not getting worse.
I don't think anyone will disagree with this.

Quote:
Old 03-31-2021, 05:59 PM   #1763
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Relating to Monahan and Gaudreau, the other issue is their current asset value.

Other teams have monitored the plunge they have taken, over the last 2 years.

That will certainly be reflected in the interest and the subsequent offers the Flames receive.

Added to the problem are stagnant and perhaps lowering salary caps ;Flames will have to take back similar salaries.

Bottom line, it is a disastrous time for , arguably, your top 2 forwards to literally fall flat on their faces.
I'm guessing we are stuck with Monahan which isn't the worst case. Especially if he really is injured right now and can be fixed.

There should still be a few teams that believe Johnny can be rehabilitated or that they can find a better way to use his skill set.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:04 PM   #1764
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
While he has not managed to make the improvements many saw as necessary, I don't think Treliving can be faulted for not reacting accordingly. He made overtures to acquire Mark Stone, Nazem Kadri, Taylor Hall, Jason Zucker, Josh Anderson and Pierre Lucic Dubois. It is certainly fair to fault him for his inability to make changes, but I don't think anyone can legitimately say that Treliving was unaware of the need for change, nor unwilling to do anything about it.
Well that's really what it is. Awareness and execution are two different things. And at the end of the day, the same way its about results for the guys on the ice, its about results for the guys off it. No one in pro sports gets accolades for moves they almost made.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:06 PM   #1765
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

So the numbers basically are showing that

- just over half of people think Tre needs to go, roughly a quarter people believe he should stay and a quarter are uncertain
- general consensus is that he is sticking around (only ~20% of people think that he will be fired)
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:07 PM   #1766
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I'm guessing we are stuck with Monahan which isn't the worst case. Especially if he really is injured right now and can be fixed.

There should still be a few teams that believe Johnny can be rehabilitated or that they can find a better way to use his skill set.
You may be correct but the Flames will be taking back some deadbeat with similar salary and a draft pick , IMO.

It’s that kind of market and why he has not been traded yet.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:09 PM   #1767
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I get that he wanted to give the core another chance after Colorado. I also get that Covid made trades near impossible, but ultimately this is on Treliving so I chose that he should be fired but won't be as he just signed a fat new contract. At some point he needs to be getting deals done instead of "close" to so many deals.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 06:10 PM   #1768
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
It's been over two years ... they've had Lindholm back and it still doesn't work.

My point though is ... did you see that coming?

Because that's the crux of issue with this team stalling.
But based on this every GM is beyond reproach for their teams. Hell we all ride Sutter as a bad GM, but can we have known Olli Jokinen would turn out so poorly?
Ultimately aren't GM's judged by the things they accomplish and decide upon rather than the fans ability to empathize with said trades, at the time?
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:15 PM   #1769
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post

There's no need to rehabilitate. Put gaudreau on any current playoff team's top or second line gives that team an explosive top 6.

Gaudreau has been good this year. He'll never be the guy to carry a team on his own, which is what he's been asked to do even more so this year.

There are very very few players who can generate high danger scoring chances all by themselves. Gaudreau is one of those guys. If it weren't for the covid nhl economic lockdown teams are feeling, I think gaudreau would have been a MASSIVE chip this deadline, especially given that he has 1 more year.

Standard, cursed, ill fortunes Flames franchise woes continued...
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:16 PM   #1770
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't see why not.
While an interesting fact, the number of homegrown players in your top 10 scoring is not a measurement of success in the competitive world of professional sports. It feels like a measurement you seek out to support an established position vs. some principled approach to team evaluation.

After seven years can't we measure his performance in terms of whether they are on the right path to contending, at a very minimum?

Even the metric makes little sense in terms of BT. He gets credit for Backlund being on the team but not Lindholm?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 06:19 PM   #1771
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
There's no need to rehabilitate. Put gaudreau on any current playoff team's top or second line gives that team an explosive top 6.

Gaudreau has been good this year. He'll never be the guy to carry a team on his own, which is what he's been asked to do even more so this year.

There are very very few players who can generate high danger scoring chances all by themselves. Gaudreau is one of those guys. If it weren't for the covid nhl economic lockdown teams are feeling, I think gaudreau would have been a MASSIVE chip this deadline, especially given that he has 1 more year.

Standard, cursed, ill fortunes Flames franchise woes continued...
To reiterate , he is currently 176th in Even Strength Scoring, in the NHL.

Massive chip? Good this year? Very doubtful.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 06:23 PM   #1772
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
To reiterate , he is currently 176th in Even Strength Scoring, in the NHL.

Massive chip? Good this year? Very doubtful.
He's playing on a garbage team with garbage linemates.

He's been on offensive catalyst every season. I think anyone who watches this team would come to that conclusion pretty quickly, scouts included.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:37 PM   #1773
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He's been on offensive catalyst every season. I think anyone who watches this team would come to that conclusion pretty quickly, scouts included.
As he button hooks or holds onto the puck until someone takes it from him?
Scouts see that stuff too

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 03-31-2021 at 07:24 PM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:40 PM   #1774
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Gaudreau has had maybe five stand-out games all season, and not because of his linemates. This year may be the worst he has looked over the course of his entire career.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Old 03-31-2021, 06:44 PM   #1775
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Like I said, if I'm recalling correctly there was plenty of talk on this very board and in the media of the need for changes going back over the 2 year period. So people did notice something was off. Its not like everyone thought they were still flying high. I don't think its been at all unanimous that everyone wanted Gaudreau and Monahan to continue being the go to guys here.

I think Treliving has had plenty of time to see what has been unfolding in front of him and react accordingly.
Right but the playoff series was in April of 2019. The next season where there would be reasonable doubt for almost anyone was September 2019, and then the season was wiped out by March of 2020.

Since then it's not all that easy moving anyone even if you did want to move on.

There really isn't a window here, is there?

Now if you wanted them traded the summer of 2019 then sure, you'd be ahead of the curve, but that was the only window to move a key piece that we've seen really.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:47 PM   #1776
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
But based on this every GM is beyond reproach for their teams. Hell we all ride Sutter as a bad GM, but can we have known Olli Jokinen would turn out so poorly?
Ultimately aren't GM's judged by the things they accomplish and decide upon rather than the fans ability to empathize with said trades, at the time?
There are plenty of moves that teams make that fan bases oppose instantly.

There are plenty of moves that fan bases call for before the GM makes a move.

But I don't remember a huge swell of CP people thinking that Monahan and Gaudreau were headed for a sharp decline.

Do you?
Old 03-31-2021, 06:49 PM   #1777
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
As he button hooks or holds onto the pook until someone takes it from him?
Scouts also tend to notice who comes out of the corner with the puck.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:58 PM   #1778
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think Johnny Gaudreau can and will be a dangerous complimentary player on a team that has a primary play driver he can team up with.

I think scouts will see that too.

But I don't see him returning to be the play driving force on a top line any more, I think the league has figured him out when the focus is on him almost entirely.

If he was playing with a legit star in their own right the split focus would make him more dangerous.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 07:02 PM   #1779
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
As he button hooks or holds onto the pook until someone takes it from him?
To be fair, if Gaudreau had a real threat on the other side or down the middle, and a supporting defenseman as another option, teams would not be able to key on him so shamelessly and the button-hook would be much more effective. If you recall my favourite Flame, Kristian Huselius, he basically played a similar style, but was very effective because he had Langkow going to the net, another threat on the other side, and Phaneuf in close support ready to unload that mother of a one-timer. When the QB has options, the other team cannot just blitz the QB and not worry about the receivers.
Gaudreau is obviously to blame as well for not changing things up and for his off-ice regimen and lifestyle, but he would be more effective if Monahan could still be a serious threat and defensemen were supporting the attack with speed. Another reason losing Brodie is vastly underestimated in terms of impact - he provided another puck carrying option (which this team badly, badly lacks) and had the speed and skill to play give-and-go, even if he is not much of a shooter. He was still very effective as an attacking force under Hartley.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:03 PM   #1780
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Scouts also tend to notice who comes out of the corner with the puck.
Lucic?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote