Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2022, 12:59 PM   #1741
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Honestly dude, had the Oilers played the Flames again in another 7 game series right after, would it not have ended in the exact same way? The Flames had absolutely no answer for McDavid and Draisaitl. Hyman, Kane and RNH also had themselves a series.

Fast forward to this season, if the Flames signed Gaudreau, this team would have less depth due to cap constraints, so how exactly was this team suppose to fair better?
The Flames had a bad series. And they got weak goaltending. Did you watch game 1? Or the last game they played in the regular season? You can't possibly have such a narrow one-dimensional view that you honestly believe the Flames can't beat the Oilers, can you?
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #1742
PuckDemon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Sorry, but if that is the case Johnny should have communicated this clearly to the team after the season ended and allowed them to prepare for it.

Unless he thought he could convince his wife and her family till the last minute?
Maybe he thought if the money was good enough, it could convince his family to stay. Then the Flames upped to 8 x 10.5, fully expecting Johnny to accept, but he still couldn't make it work with his family.

Sure, Johnny could have tried harder to decide earlier, but why place so much responsibility on him? Why does he have to do the team a favor when he has all the leverage now? The team fully used their own leverage when they did his last contract. As long as he didn't intentionally screw us over, I can't place too much blame on him.
PuckDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #1743
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it possible Murray screwed this up? We all know his personality when it comes to negotiating deals.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:02 PM   #1744
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

NVMD: Going to post in a different thread.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:02 PM   #1745
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I can understand taking the money, I can understand taking a discount to play at home. But this doesn't seem to be either. I have to think that Gaudreau's camp completely misplayed the whole situation, because absolutely nothing about this seems optimal for a guy who was in a spot to at least get the best from something.

Left a lot of money on the table. Moved closer to home but not close to home. But on top of all that if the structure of the deal is as reported, it makes even less sense. Take a discount and you should be able to dictate about as many parts you want. Front loaded, signing bonuses, better trade/movement clauses to ensure as much control as possible, getting as much money early as possible to make any decisions down the line easier but also making any trades near the end more manageable for teams when it comes to dealing with the money aspect. So giving up money and flexibility while seemingly having to settle on location leaves me thinking that they just messed up. How could this be the best deal for a player like this?

I have to think that they thought offers would be higher by walking away from the Flames and their 8 year deal. That somebody was going to be offering in the $10.5-11M range as well, but the offer and/or location never came. That the best that was left was the Columbus deal (and at that point it's 'only $750K for seven year deals as the difference between a Calgary offer, in which case the discount for location makes more sense, but only because the gamble for money didn't pay out).

It seems like a case study in failing to maximize your value during a negotiation.
Seems like the decision was based on lifestyle.

One year of his salary and realistically he wouldn’t have to work again.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:02 PM   #1746
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ (GioForPM)
many of whom remain core Calgary Flames alumni/robust members of the Calgary community to this day or for years including Patterson, Macoun (admittedly these 2 are Canadians), Otto, Conroy (later example not same scenario entirely) etc
looooob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 01:03 PM   #1747
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The second bold is the answer to the first bold. People are upset because he pretended that Calgary WAS an option, when it appears that it really wasn't.

No one is mad he chose Columbus, they are mad at how his team handled the process. (or they are mad at how the Flames handled the process, or both, but it has nothing to do with Columbus)
Yeah but saying you wanted to go home then it turned out it’s not the real reason at all.

It’s like you got dumped and the person never told you the truth
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:04 PM   #1748
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am having a hard time believing Johnny was that unhappy with the organization and no one in the media or anywhere else picked this up.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:04 PM   #1749
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

But I’m also willing to look at things objectively here

I just don’t see how the Flames could realistically beat a prime McDavid and Draisaitl going forward.
I don't think you know what objectively means. In all likelihood, if last year's teams played 10 playoff series against each other, they probably win 5 each. Parity is very strong in the NHL.

But you have decided that it's unwinnable., Yeah, okay. You're just willing to be objective.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:05 PM   #1750
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Yeah but saying you wanted to go home then it turned out it’s not the real reason at all.

When did he ever say he wanted to go home? All I believe they informed the Flames of was that he wouldn't be returning.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:06 PM   #1751
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah we’re just going to have to agree to disagree here because we’ll never know the true answer anyway. I truly believe there was a point last year in 2021, that a deal could’ve been made. That was the best chance Treliving had and that’s probably when he should’ve been the most assertive.

The odds were always going to be stacked against him if Johnny made it to the market. Family ties were always strong on the Gaudreau side.
So you're arguing that family ties are stronger now than they were a year ago? Okay then.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:07 PM   #1752
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I am having a hard time believing Johnny was that unhappy with the organization and no one in the media or anywhere else picked this up.
I'm willing to believe that Johnny was on the fence. I feel it's going to come out that everything fell apart when Murray got involved in the contract negotiations.

Last edited by Cole436; 07-14-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:07 PM   #1753
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
Hey Mods can I please change my user name now! So disappointed! I hope management does the right thing and trade Tkachuk for the best offer of young prospects and picks. It’s time to do a proper rebuild and not bandaid this! Coronato, Pelletier, Zary, Wolf, Ruzicka, and Kerins is a decent start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Sure, I'll change it to "Gaudreau is a BJ" for ya

in truth, Plz PM the moderator account and the admins will take it under consideration. (I can't change names, personally)
Keep the name, but have a custom title (e.g. "stabs in the back").
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:08 PM   #1754
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
When did he ever say he wanted to go home? All I believe they informed the Flames of was that he wouldn't be returning.
I remembered reading it somewhere, maybe from this forum lol

At least that’s what we were assuming
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:08 PM   #1755
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post

I think it's a bit different.

Gaudreau broke up with his girlfriend (Calgary) with the thought that his childhood sweetheart wanted to get back together (Philly).

Instead the childhood sweetheart played him and didn't actually want to make it work, so he had to settle for her less appealing friend (Columbus).

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-14-2022 at 01:14 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 01:09 PM   #1756
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The media portrayal of the flames or most NHL team is through rose coloured glasses. They want to sell a product, and give you lip service as to what you want to hear. They're going to tell the public scripted lines to have hopeless optimism, but we'll never get the full picture.

They knew, they just didn't want fans to know. At the same time, if Johnny played it off like he was on the fence, but knew for a long time he wasn't coming back, that's on him, and his character. Lost all the respect I had for him yesterday.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:10 PM   #1757
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Johnny was never signing here. That much is extremely clear, not sure how anyone can feel different? lol at Murray edwards or brad being mean to him making him not come back, get real.

This is like when your girlfriend dumps you and you delude yourself that if you had just gone to that party with her that one time she would have felt different. No. It was never happening. Stop it.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 01:12 PM   #1758
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Sorry if already mentioned but the CBJ fans on their board have picked up on the fact that he mentioned his wife by name numerous times in the press conference and they are thinking that Columbus was high on their family list of destinations because she is a pediatric nurse and there is a world class children's hospital in Columbus.
First of all, there is little doubt her opinion/desires/career were important, and part of the decision. I mean, obviously.

But the argument that he chose Columbus because there is a great hospital there is still a really weak one IMO - there is a great children's hospital in every big city (or at the very least, many). Would it have been a bonus? Sure, no doubt. But I doubt Gaudreau chose the Jackets because of a hospital in town.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 01:13 PM   #1759
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
No hate to JG on this but after reading the Gilbertson tweets, I think he just is a person who lacks grace and couth. A guy that just doesn't realize how a man carries himself. Which is probably related to being driven around and lavished with praise his whole life.

He probably did think he was going to return, until some point. When? who knows. He certainly didn't think (or was advised by anyone that impacted him) how will my actions impact others? His impulse changed and off he went. Very child like, and I know plenty of them out there who really struggle in life because they don't score goals.

All that said, the Flames should have set the guard rails, knowing players like all people can be juvenile. Instead they got seduced with signing him. Which in a negotiation you will always lose.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 01:14 PM   #1760
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The Flames had a bad series. And they got weak goaltending. Did you watch game 1? Or the last game they played in the regular season? You can't possibly have such a narrow one-dimensional view that you honestly believe the Flames can't beat the Oilers, can you?
And like I said, lets not pretend Mike Smith wasn’t giving up muffins and 100 footers. He was certainly better than Markstrom, but is there a guarantee Markstrom wouldn’t stink it up again vs the Oilers?

I like most people here expected a Flames series win based on how the regular season went. The Flames completely dominated the checking game in the regular season.

But that was the regular season and in the playoffs, it was a completely different story. The Oilers out-checked the Flames and made life miserable for our supposedly better D and McDavid and Draisaitl elevated their games to the next level like superstars typically do. The Flames do not possess those kinds of superstars, that’s just the way it is, Darryl says it all the time.

So to me, it makes sense that this Flames team that was only going to weaken in depth due to cap constraints, would have a more difficult time beating the Oilers who ousted the Flames in 5. Maybe I’m wrong and the Flames would’ve won the next one, but all the factors I’m seeing leads me thinking the Flames probably would’ve lost again.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
incels outing themselves