Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 396 62.86%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 165 26.19%
Not sure 37 5.87%
Climate change is a hoax 32 5.08%
Voters: 630. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #1741
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just feel sorry for this kid. She has a mental illness and is fixated on genuine fear for the future of humanity. Instead of reassuring her that things will work out (the rational thing to do), the adults in her life have chosen to exploit her as a symbol of a political movement. It’s bizarre to see so many adults in the media lauding what is truly a sad situation.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #1742
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
It doesn't make the slightest difference, anything short of zero oil production will not appease these climate zealots. In fact I don't think anything will they are hell bent on doom and gloom no matter what.

I bet you could tell them about some of the latest technologies that promise clean energy and they wouldn't care at all, it's all about the hysteria. Don't believe me? See the idiots and climbed on the train in protest, even though the train runs on electricity and replaces thousands of petrol burning cars for transport. That's the mentality we're dealing with.
Even if that's correct, what's the benefit of what UWR and The Rebel are doing, other than satisfying their raging hate-boners?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #1743
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Calgary Puck is such a liberal forum. I sometimes wonder if the Calgary Puck server room is in Kent Hehr’s office. Would be nice to know.
I'm a diesel driving, oilfield working CCFR member.

Damn btimbit and his liberal agenda.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #1744
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
You dropped this:

Lots of climate activists will listen to reason, most likely even Greta. Unfortunately they don’t hear much. It’s mostly baseless attacks on their motives and character and almost no refutation of their message.
I'm talking about the climate zealots, not everyone. Now if you can point me to one of these protestors that is willing to listen to reason please do. Everyone I've seen has zero interest in a constructive dialog.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #1745
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The best thing would be to come out with a message that is agreeable, like "yes, we agree fossil fuels and its production aren't great for the environment, but we need it for a lot of industries, and having it supplied by us in an ethical manner is a lot better than getting it from some OPEC nation".
I would prefer "but we need the income from it to sustain our health care system, which will continue to suffer through underfunding". That may hit closer to home.

Also the environmentalists don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to importing dirtier foreign oil.

I think the Federal Conservatives should have used these types of arguments more in the campaign.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #1746
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Take a quick look at who thanks your posts. It’s the same group over and over and over. Not just in this thread but in just about all of them. Liberals always pat eachother on the back.
They just want to bone me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #1747
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Even if that's correct, what's the benefit of what UWR and The Rebel are doing, other than satisfying their raging hate-boners?
The Rebel simply needs to be ignored I find them especially their dear leader incredibly annoying and condescending. There is nothing wrong with being right or left leaning but they are way way off the rails, just as bad as the screaming climate protestors blocking traffic and scolding people for trying to get to work.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #1748
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Imagine how far right you'd have to be to believe this is a true statement.
Imagine how far left you would have to be to believe Calgary Puck is conservative.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #1749
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm talking about the climate zealots, not everyone. Now if you can point me to one of these protestors that is willing to listen to reason please do. Everyone I've seen has zero interest in a constructive dialog.
I think generally you can't reason with a mob. Get a few of them one on one and engage critically with them, and you have a shot. I've seen it happen firsthand.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #1750
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Take a quick look at who thanks your posts. It’s the same group over and over and over. Not just in this thread but in just about all of them. Liberals always pat eachother on the back.
And? Is that group the majority? Of course not.

Take a look at the Canada Politics thread. It’s mostly CPC voters, and guess what, I’m totally fine with that. You’re the one who can’t tolerate different opinions. So much so that they’re all you seem to see.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #1751
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

What we need is an open poll on who you voted for so we can all see everyone's allegiances.

Then we can meet at the parking lot for a battle. To death?
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #1752
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Imagine how far left you would have to be to believe Calgary Puck is conservative.
Imagine imagining that I actually wrote that.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #1753
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'm a diesel driving, oilfield working CCFR member.

Damn btimbit and his liberal agenda.
Nm
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #1754
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Rebel simply needs to be ignored I find them especially their dear leader incredibly annoying and condescending. There is nothing wrong with being right or left leaning but they are way way off the rails, just as bad as the screaming climate protestors blocking traffic and scolding people for trying to get to work.
That's a really bad false equivalency. Blocking people getting to work isn't really on the same level as inciting people to shoot up Mosques and then trying to spread a conspiracy theory about it, doxxing a disabled teenager, etc. One of those things is kind of annoying and inconvenient, the other is downright dangerous.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #1755
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think generally you can't reason with a mob. Get a few of them one on one and engage critically with them, and you have a shot. I've seen it happen firsthand.
Not a chance, I've watched vids where some of the protestors were engaged one on one, they never stepped down from their screaming hysteria. Not even close, in fact they got extremely angry because it's "them against the corporate evil doers" there is no reasoning with that.

And you have to recognize the total lack of self awareness, they use the same energy as everyone else, they are as complicit as you or I. We are all responsible.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #1756
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, I'm a Liberal?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #1757
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not a chance, I've watched vids where some of the protestors were engaged one on one, they never stepped down from their screaming hysteria. Not even close, in fact they got extremely angry because it's "them against the corporate evil doers" there is no reasoning with that.

And you have to recognize the total lack of self awareness, they use the same energy as everyone else, they are as complicit as you or I. We are all responsible.
Right, but it sounds like you're talking about videos where attempts are made to engage them while they're still in the mob/act of protesting. There's a performative element of protesting that I think you have to remove people from before you can really have a conversation with them.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #1758
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Wait, I'm a Liberal?
You've thanked my posts. Sorry, dude, guess you're voting NDP on Monday.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:33 PM   #1759
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You've thanked my posts. Sorry, dude, guess you're voting NDP on Monday.
Elizabeth May for Emporer!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:34 PM   #1760
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Right, but it sounds like you're talking about videos where attempts are made to engage them while they're still in the mob/act of protesting. There's a performative element of protesting that I think you have to remove people from before you can really have a conversation with them.
Performative element? #### off, those people are idiots plain and simple you don't block traffic and dance on trains and scream the world is ending in 12 years if you're head is screwed on tight.