Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #1721
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamefan74 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with Toyo Enscribe CSI-1? Not much info on Google. Dealer here has a deal on them right now, but not sure if they are any good. Only thing cheaper of a brand name is the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice and not sure I want those. Have used the Toyo Observe GSI-5 before, so wonderig if these are comparable.

Thanks
I have the Goodyear Ultra Grip tires and they're simply alright. They did the job but they're not going to compare to the higher end tires in terms of handling. I'll take them any day over all seasons though!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #1722
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I have the Goodyear Ultra Grip tires and they're simply alright. They did the job but they're not going to compare to the higher end tires in terms of handling. I'll take them any day over all seasons though!

What did you think of the Goodyear’s on ice? Heard that’s where their downfall is. Have used the Nokians before, but Kal Tire told me not to buy them anymore after having to replace 2 sets in one year due to wear. I liked the Blizzaks but also wore down too quickly.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #1723
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What did you think of the Goodyear’s on ice? Heard that’s where their downfall is. Have used the Nokians before, but Kal Tire told me not to buy them anymore after having to replace 2 sets in one year due to wear. I liked the Blizzaks but also wore down too quickly.
When do you put on your winters/take them off??
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #1724
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
They weren't great on ice, but I could definitely tell that there was an improvement over my all seasons. I was on Highway 3 in BC around last Christmas and it was extremely icy for long stretches. While I never felt like I had no control, but I did slide a little a couple times. Overall for what I normally encountered here in Alberta, it was fine. They were good with snow.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #1725
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
When do you put on your winters/take them off??

Put them on around last week Oct/first week Nov. Usually off by end of Mar.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #1726
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
They weren't great on ice, but I could definitely tell that there was an improvement over my all seasons. I was on Highway 3 in BC around last Christmas and it was extremely icy for long stretches. While I never felt like I had no control, but I did slide a little a couple times. Overall for what I normally encountered here in Alberta, it was fine. They were good with snow.

Thanks for your reply. Had 2 other people I know use them. One said great on ice and another was meh about it. Think I will look at another brand.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #1727
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Apparently I have to get 18's for the Honda, can't go 17
What is it a type R or something?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:56 PM   #1728
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Two sets in a season? That's absurd.
I had the ultra grips, but studded. On a big old car, they felt really good actually. Could really get through any amount of snow easily and with the studs they were great on ice.
81MC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:32 AM   #1729
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'm trying to find cheap winter tires to put on my Murano, just something to get through the winter as the tires I have I think are too worn.

Not finding a whole lot on Kijiji for my OEM size (235/65R18), but am finding more stuff for other close sizes. Is the standard 3% out? I'm looking at a tire calculator, 245/60R18 is 1.3% smaller. Also seeing lots at 265/60R18 which is 1.7% bigger but is also a whole inch wider, and I don't know if the width of the rims starts to play a part in that as well.

Anything else to look for when buying used tires? I have a depth gauge and know lots of people really misstate how much tread is left. I also ask them the DOT code to get the manufacture date, but how old is too old for a winter tire?
Old 10-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #1730
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much additional wear does having the tires on prematurely cause? I put my on late last month. Does a month of driving in spring-like weather conditions accelerate the deterioration much, or is it insignificant?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:01 PM   #1731
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've never really found a good answer to that. The only info I ever see is "they will wear faster". I doubt the one month was too much of an issue. I think the real damage would be done at 20 degrees +, but driving them when the temp is in the teens probably isn't so bad.

TL;DR - I have no idea, but my uninformed opinion is you've done no real harm.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #1732
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How much additional wear does having the tires on prematurely cause? I put my on late last month. Does a month of driving in spring-like weather conditions accelerate the deterioration much, or is it insignificant?
I wouldn't say its insignificant because they wouldn't suggest you don't do it otherwise. I mean you can stand downtown and tell who has winter tires on based on sound.

Also your breaking and handling is impacted using winter tires in warm conditions. Could be a factor in a collision.

Last edited by Weitz; 10-31-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:24 PM   #1733
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Anything else to look for when buying used tires? I have a depth gauge and know lots of people really misstate how much tread is left. I also ask them the DOT code to get the manufacture date, but how old is too old for a winter tire?
I recall hearing that 5 years was the recommendation.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:04 PM   #1734
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I recall hearing that 5 years was the recommendation.
Thanks! I managed to get a set of Nokian Hakkapeliittas that were only 2 years old and had 10/32nds left for $75 each, that seems pretty decent to me.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:32 AM   #1735
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random question, is converting old winters to all weather tires a good idea? I have a friend who travels in the rockies relatively frequently during the winter months and isn't comfortable with his winters now that they're around 3+ years old. I suggested replacing his aging all season tires with his winters which have more tread and grabbing new winters to use during the winter months.

I know that heat really causes the winters to wear down faster. Assuming the tires aren't completely bald and he doesn't drive like a maniac on a hot summer day, it's not a bad way to use up the 4th and 5th year of the tire, right?

Would it also be fair to mention he likely will have just slightly more traction/on par on every first snowfall than if he has slightly newer all seasons?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #1736
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he isn't comfortable with his old winters, maybe that means his tread is low and he needs to replace them? Tires aren't guaranteed to last 5 years, it will depend on the driving. Perhaps all his travel to the mountains has worn his old tires out.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #1737
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

ugh, I have been busy the past 4 weekends with my son's hockey and have not ahd a chance to swap out my all seasons for my winters and as fate would have it, we have to drive up to RD on Saturday and I don't have time to swap them until next weekend at the eariliest.......oh well, I drove with all seaons for years, so it should be no big deal
Old 11-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #1738
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
ugh, I have been busy the past 4 weekends with my son's hockey and have not ahd a chance to swap out my all seasons for my winters and as fate would have it, we have to drive up to RD on Saturday and I don't have time to swap them until next weekend at the eariliest.......oh well, I drove with all seaons for years, so it should be no big deal
Yup I'm with you. Feel pretty dumb for not swapping earlier, I'm usually on the ball for changing them but haven't even been home in a month to do it. Now I'm in Lloydminster for another 2 weeks before I can get it done. Not happy with myself
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #1739
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Stupidly, one year I did not take my winter tires off. I needed to get new summer tires, and I just kept putting it off, until I realized that I had an opportunity to do two things - one, not change my tires, and two, test the effects of warm weather on winter tires.

I did not notice any significant wear. I continued with those tires the following winter. Not an issue at all. The following spring I saved up enough to buy new summers, and had no issues. Not a problem to be seen. Tread was still relatively deep - perhaps not as deep as if it were changed, but still good. In fact, I even took a road trip with those tires. For science's sake.

Well, one of the posts on the wheel holding the rim onto the wheel snapped when I changed tires, but that was a different issue altogether.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #1740
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

The wear rate in summer really depends on how your driving and the type of tire. Some winters are a harder conpound then others. For example a Hakka would wear quicker then a ipike strictly due to the softer conpound. I put my winters on every thanksgiving at the latest and have never had wear issues.