Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #1701
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Same company/network. Rogers owns Fido.
That's what I thought. Is Rogers any good. I heard bad things a few years back, but I am sure the coverage in Canada has to be about the best.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #1702
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
That's what I thought. Is Rogers any good. I heard bad things a few years back, but I am sure the coverage in Canada has to be about the best.
I've heard negative things about their travel rates, but within Canada I've been very impressed. My bill is never more than a few dollars off the average and I've never had an issue with their customer service.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #1703
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I've had no issues at all with Rogers. Awful experiences with Telus and especially Bell....ugh.

As for coverage, not sure as I don't travel much or get out of the city much.

Rogers has been very good for me overall though, customer service has been way better than any other cell provider I've ever had.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #1704
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Data network as far as 3G goes is very urban centred. As far as hearing a few bad things, well its a Canadian wireless company. Pick your poison.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #1705
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jailbreaking---I know it invalidates the warranty, but has anyone recently had any irreversible problems?

I am thinking of jailbreaking, but want to know if anyone has had an experience that will keep me from doing it.

Conversely, are most people happy with it that have done it?
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #1706
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Jailbreaking---I know it invalidates the warranty, but has anyone recently had any irreversible problems?

I am thinking of jailbreaking, but want to know if anyone has had an experience that will keep me from doing it.

I've had nothing but misery trying to do jailbreaks and unlocks from my Mac's, but my Windows computer.. no problems at all.

Redsn0w is your friend.

If you mess things up, then just go back to the most recent backup after you restore. And if you have an issue where you need to take it in to Apple. Restore before you go in.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #1707
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Your warranty is only void if you take it in for service while it's jailbroken

I've had no issues whatsoever (Windows). The process is super easy now, and easily undoable.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #1708
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks guys, I think I'll give it a try.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #1709
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I just jailbroke mine this past weekend after much convincing from a fellow techno-weenie friend of mine.

I've gotta say that it has renewed the love affair for me with my phone. The novelty had all but wore off but I've been smitten again ever since I unlocked it!

I've had no problems whatsoever.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #1710
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Be forewarned.. 3.1 jailbreak likely won't work yet.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #1711
User Name
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Jailbreaking is awesome... I love being able to apply different themes too it. Keeps it looking fresh.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #1712
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone tell me about unlocking/sim card use for out of country? ie: I'd like to use my phone in Mexico this winter just for internet browsing, the odd email, etc. From what I've found (which isn't real clear), I need to unlock my phone, then get a Mexican sim card for it. This is all I know though.....what are the steps i need to take....how much still will this cost to browse daily etc., what steps do i have to take...thx
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #1713
jdso
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Can anyone tell me about unlocking/sim card use for out of country? ie: I'd like to use my phone in Mexico this winter just for internet browsing, the odd email, etc. From what I've found (which isn't real clear), I need to unlock my phone, then get a Mexican sim card for it. This is all I know though.....what are the steps i need to take....how much still will this cost to browse daily etc., what steps do i have to take...thx
I used this guide:
http://www.iclarified.com/entries/in...scid=11&seid=1

You have to jailbreak your iPhone first and then you can unlock it. There's a guide to jailbreaking your iPhone on there as well.

If you recently upgraded your OS to 3.1 you might be SOL as they haven't created a jailbreak/unlock for it yet.
jdso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #1714
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Is there a way I can block calls to my iPhone from a certain number so my phone doesn't even ring when that number calls me?
iBlacklist does it but only for Jailbreak phones.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #1715
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So many pages...

Can anyone point me in the right direction for where to go AFTER i jailbreak my iPhone. Where do i get apps, what are good apps, things like that.

Thanks!
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:24 PM   #1716
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm having an issue getting all of my podcasts to sync to my iphone. They all show up in itunes on my Mac, but synching for whatever reason, doesn't get them all to my phone. Anyone know a solution? I have them checked properly, and the setting in itunes is to sync everything...
Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #1717
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
So many pages...

Can anyone point me in the right direction for where to go AFTER i jailbreak my iPhone. Where do i get apps, what are good apps, things like that.

Thanks!
Depending on the jailbreaking process you chose, you should have an app called "Cydia". This is like the app store but it's all the homebrew/non-apple-supported stuff.

Off the top of my head I loved the emulators, Finder, Winterboard (for themes), can't remember what else. I've got some screenshots posted earlier in this thread of some of the cooler stuff I found to do at the time with a jailbroken iPhone.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #1718
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Did anyone here experience any problems when upgrading their phones to 3.1?

I've read a lot of people having major battery issues, where a phone sitting idle over night will go down 20% in battery life.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #1719
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing that's changed for me since updating to 3.1 is the fact that my phone freezes much more than it used to. Just doesn't unlock, unless someone calls or texts.

I reset it 3 times last week, before 3.1 I'd reset it maybe once a month.
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #1720
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

My battery life has been horrible since 3.1 Also can anyone recommend good headphones with a mic. My in box buds with mic have seemed to walked away one me.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote