Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2020, 07:13 AM   #1701
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I'm heading out to do Nepal this afternoon. I'll report back on the conditions.

The paths have been a mess with people. Fish Creek felt like a busy Saturday last week and it was only Tuesday. I can only imagine how busy it was yesterday.

Yesterday I hit the highway to avoid the people and it was great. East of the city on 22x has been cleaned and the super wide shoulders make for nice, flat riding. I haven't tried the canal path from 52nd to Chestermere yet but I imagine it'll be crowded.
Canal was pretty quiet yesterday. Lots of room. Still passed the odd person, but nothing like the downtown pathways. The pavement is still as poor as I had remembered.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #1702
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

from my house it is a real easy ride out to chestermere via the canal - i can make it close to 50k round trip.

I could also go to fish creek and log simialr mileage, but i suspect that Fish would be much busier unless i went early in the morning
Old 04-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #1703
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
from my house it is a real easy ride out to chestermere via the canal - i can make it close to 50k round trip.

I could also go to fish creek and log similar mileage, but i suspect that Fish would be much busier unless i went early in the morning

I've never done the Chestermere ride... in order to get ~30-40km where's the best place in East Calgary to start from? I'd need to drive/park, plus want to drag my teenager along. What's the quality of pavement? what I'm getting at is it ok for 25mm road tires, cross tires, or bigger?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #1704
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
I've never done the Chestermere ride... in order to get ~30-40km where's the best place in East Calgary to start from? I'd need to drive/park, plus want to drag my teenager along. What's the quality of pavement? what I'm getting at is it ok for 25mm road tires, cross tires, or bigger?
It's fine on a road bike, there are just lots of roots underneath that make it bumpy. Mostly in the earlier part by Glenmore. "East side" doesn't narrow it down much, what community? There are probably trails you can access without driving.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #1705
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I rode my gravel bike with huge tires, but it's definitely rideable with skinnier roadie stuff, just have to be careful on some spots where the tree roots have come through. You could probably park somewhere off Blackfoot, right after you exit from Deerfoot and go from there. You can get to the canal path right off the new commuter bus bridge.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #1706
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Where in East Calgary would you be starting from? The canal path is pretty accessible from anywhere.

Just south of Glenmore the canal path is rooty and bumpy for about .5 km. Just slow down and ride across the grass beside the path and you'll save your tires and any teeth rattling.

After that, heading towards Chestermere is smooth sailing. You'll have to deal with the speed barriers at each road but it's just annoying and probably worth not having pathletes flying over the roads.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #1707
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Where in East Calgary would you be starting from? The canal path is pretty accessible from anywhere.

Just south of Glenmore the canal path is rooty and bumpy for about .5 km. Just slow down and ride across the grass beside the path and you'll save your tires and any teeth rattling.

After that, heading towards Chestermere is smooth sailing. You'll have to deal with the speed barriers at each road but it's just annoying and probably worth not having pathletes flying over the roads.

I'd be driving to a start point since my teenager would not be up for riding from NW Calgary (N/NW of Crowfoot area) out and back. They could ride moms bike w/ the 'cross tires and I'd take my gravel bike. Not worried at all about some speed barriers... That said it might make for a decent days ride for myself.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #1708
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I just got back from the canal path and it's in great shape from 84th to Chestermere. No puddles and other than the wind coming back it was great.

RichieRich, you could actually get on the canal from almost any of the side roads it crosses over. There's usually street/road parking on all them or near them so it would depend on how far you want to ride.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:11 PM   #1709
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

On the Canal topic, does anyone know if there's a connection here (see arrow)?

In my head I think this works....

Last edited by Ahuch; 04-21-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:29 PM   #1710
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

^That’s exactly how it works.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #1711
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is there a connection now from the bow river pathway in the north to the Greenway (kinda country hills/coventry area)? I went up near the airport on the weekend but just hit dead ends on the pathway. Could take the streets obviously but just curious.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #1712
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's all chopped up in this area (Northern Hills). You can go through Harvest Hills to Country Hills Blvd, ride east along that and then head north on the path that runs along 14 st NE. It leads to a dirt road that goes under Stoney Trail and then links up with the Greenway again.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #1713
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey all - Sorry if this has been asked previously, but can anyone recommend a local repair shop or person in the West NW (I'm in Tuscany)who I can bring my older mountain bike in for a tune up and wheel repair? The bike has been sitting for 4-5 years, so definitely needs some attention. Looking to support a smaller shop or individual if possible.

Thank-you.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #1714
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Hey all - Sorry if this has been asked previously, but can anyone recommend a local repair shop or person in the West NW (I'm in Tuscany)who I can bring my older mountain bike in for a tune up and wheel repair? The bike has been sitting for 4-5 years, so definitely needs some attention. Looking to support a smaller shop or individual if possible.

Thank-you.

Ridley's (Kensington) and Bowcycle (Bowness) are both still operating. Call to make an appointment, then arrange to drop-off/pickup curb-side.

There may be others closer to Tuscany but I'm not sure what the options are further north
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #1715
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Thank-you.

The bike shop in panorama hills, or bow cycle are your closest. Cochrane has a new shop called big hill cycle and they are offering deals on repairs and they are the little guy that's trying to start out.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #1716
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:

Thank-you.
Not sure on the turnaround time but https://bicyclerepairhub.com/ might be worth a call too. He has Covid rules in place so he's not entering your garage/home, new gloves for each client, etransfers, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #1717
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Daydreaming (in between tasks on the frontlines in healthcare) of mountain biking...

Just installed Maxxis Minion 3.8" tires on my Trek Farley 7 I recently got (Ridleys). While Santa Cruz Tallboy 3 remains my main non-winter bike, I'm actually excited to give the Farley a go as an option, to mix things up, when trails are ready (and permitted), of course.

Funny how perspective changes over the years. A few years back I demoed a plus-size bike and thought that was overkill (26 or 2.8" tires); now I can't wait to ride 3.8" in non-winter conditions...
Old 04-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #1718
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Rode 25km of my neighbourhood this afternoon. Tried to hit every part of the streets that I could. I think I missed only a handful.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #1719
alexle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Thank-you.
Sports Rent in Montgomery is also open http://www.sportsrent.ca/bike-repair-calgary/
Old 04-23-2020, 07:57 PM   #1720
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m also in Shaganappi. Had a quick rip around this afternoon after making some adjustments to my bike. Went down to the river and was going to do a loop around to Edworthy and then back on the north side. Didn’t go as planned as the gate is still down at Edworthy at the tracks crossing. I met someone coming the other way who said he turned around as the path up ahead was still snow packed. Still good to get out and mid afternoon that paths were pretty quiet.