Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #1701
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've been buy Chinook quite a bit in the last 6 weeks, it seems like steady progress is being made. They were working on the pedestrian crossings on Monday if memory serves.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #1702
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I pass by Chinook daily and I think it should be open by the end of the month, coinciding with the next signup period. Crews were putting in the trees and other landscaping. The concrete work is done, including the platform ramp.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #1703
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevinder View Post
I pass by Chinook daily and I think it should be open by the end of the month, coinciding with the next signup period. Crews were putting in the trees and other landscaping. The concrete work is done, including the platform ramp.
The next sign up period starts September 2nd, so that would make sense for a reopening. However, reopening the station doesn't really affect the routing of bus routes so I don't see setting up the reopening with the beginning of a sign up as a necessary precursor for reopening Chinook.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #1704
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Well, the reopening does effect the bus routes as they will be back at the station instead of the temporary bus terminal on 3rd St SW.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #1705
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevinder View Post
Well, the reopening does effect the bus routes as they will be back at the station instead of the temporary bus terminal on 3rd St SW.
Like I said the reopening doesn't REALLY affect the routing

The routes should go back to their old ways (who knows what schedules has in store), so some with be more efficient than with the current temporary station as they won't have to zig zag around to get to 3rd st (23, 36, 41) while some routes will be less efficient (mainly the 73, as going straight through on 58th ave instead of turing south on Macleod and then east on 61st ave saved ALOT of time). Routes like the 10 and 72 weren't really affected by the temporary station. I didn't include some of the shuttle routes (47,81 and 506) as they have tons of time on them regardless of where the station was.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #1706
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can only speak to the 72 & 73 regarding timing. My run on the 73 in the morning during the summer always has a 10 minute layover at Chinook. Given that I work not too far away from it, walking has been an option. After September, we will be back to normal commuting patterns and that 10 minute rest will disappear.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #1707
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

CT on Undercover Boss Canada on Oct 31.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ca...867/story.html
Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #1708
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll try to confirm, but I bet it is Doug Morgan, the Director of Calgary Transit going undercover. Doug is all over this kind of stuff and has started to affect a culture change within CT management since taking over about a year and a half ago.

I have a few news and notes items I'll try to get to in a subsequent post as well.

Also one other thing I really can't share too much about at this time unfortunately, other than to say a fairly significant news item will come up in mid-September and I think/hope that you'll like what it will bring.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #1709
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Also one other thing I really can't share too much about at this time unfortunately, other than to say a fairly significant news item will come up in mid-September and I think/hope that you'll like what it will bring.
They're finally going to remove the tracks and pave some new roads into downtown?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #1710
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
We're finally getting gondolas!
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #1711
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Interchanges at every station!!

Ok, seriously, you better follow up on this. If there is no announcement by equinox, you'd better give some kind of update. Umm.. or else.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #1712
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something to do with the electronic card program I am guessing?
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #1713
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Urban trebuchets?
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #1714
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Please be GPS for buses with Google Maps integration.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #1715
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Please be GPS for buses with Google Maps integration.
Not sure about Google Maps integration, but it could very well be GPS for buses with the CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) system they have planned.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #1716
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

News and Notes

60 Foot Buses on Route #3

Starting in September (and coinciding with the fall service revisions that start on September 3rd), some D60LFR model buses (articulated or "bendy" buses) will be operated on Route #3. Many of the facilities at bus stops along the south end of the route have been lengthened to accommodate this.

Route #3 has long been the busiest bus route in the city. At a committee meeting several months ago, Transit Camp suggested both this solution and the creation of a limited stop version of the route as an augment to accommodate the immense ridership and crowding it sees.

Although I have yet to hear an official opening date for Chinook Station, this news would lead one to think that Chinook will re-open on or close to the same date since several articulated buses are currently being used on the interim shuttle route between Chinook Station and 39th Avenue Station and the "extra" buses to employ on the Route #3 would have to come from being freed up somewhere.

Bench Seating Trial/Pilot

In the coming months, you will see some of the seating on the SD160 Series 8 LRVs (newest train cars) replaced with a "bench" style seat, which would eliminate the groove partitions with the current bucket style seats. This will be done on a trial basis to see how it goes. This is in response to the feedback related to these cars/seats.

I think it may be only one of the 38 of this model that will be part of the trial. Can't remember. This all came up in a recent meeting with some members of Calgary Transit management.

Centre Street Transit-Only Lanes

Not really news, just a link to a small infographic about this project.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/Ce...Only-Lanes.pdf

The only factoid I might add on the topic is that there are more people who cross McKnight Blvd. on Centre Street during rush hour on transit than any other mode.

Website Improvements

Just last week, an RFP (Request for Proposals) was issued by the City looking for vendors to submit their proposals for revamping the Calgary Transit website.

No idea on budget, scope or timeline, just that one tidbit of news. Progress I suppose.

Fare Increase Policy Improvement

This is a small change but in the future, when fares are increased, the "old" books of tickets will be accepted without having to add the difference at the fare box, in a similar fashion to the way postage stamps have worked for quite a few years now.

This came out of discussions between the Customer Advisory Group and the Senior Management Team at Calgary Transit. Quite a few other operational/policy/process changes and tweaks have come out of these discussions, but this one was the only real "quick win" type of change.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #1717
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can neither confirm nor deny any of the guesses. The significance of the announcement to you may depend on your level of transit nerdiness. Also not sure how many details will actually be released in September.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #1718
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Bench Seating Trial/Pilot

In the coming months, you will see some of the seating on the SD160 Series 8 LRVs (newest train cars) replaced with a "bench" style seat, which would eliminate the groove partitions with the current bucket style seats. This will be done on a trial basis to see how it goes. This is in response to the feedback related to these cars/seats.

I think it may be only one of the 38 of this model that will be part of the trial. Can't remember. This all came up in a recent meeting with some members of Calgary Transit management.
Thank goodness. I know you've articulated (quite well) the reasoning behind the bucket seats, but they're horrible.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #1719
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
I can neither confirm nor deny any of the guesses. The significance of the announcement to you may depend on your level of transit nerdiness. Also not sure how many details will actually be released in September.
New supplier of LRVs?
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #1720
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

@TurnedTheCorner:

Have I? I don't like them either. At the risk of someone digging up an older post where it may seem that I argued for them, I was probably either playing devil's advocate or was arguing more for the seating arrangement philosophy (longitudinal or "perimeter," "inward facing").

I really don't prefer the bucket seats over bench seating, but acknowledge they do provide some benefits. More correctly, I dislike the current arrangement of poles, handholds, stanchions, seating arrangement and seat type (bucket) as it has been executed on the Series 8 cars. All of these elements factor into a suboptimal situation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings