Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2023, 01:07 PM   #1681
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Walk Hard: the Story of Dewy Cox, is the best bio-pic of all time.
Respectfully, the best biopic of all time is Space Jam.
Old 05-24-2023, 01:08 PM   #1682
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

There are a few weird measurements in China. For example, they don't measure weight by the kilo it's by the half kilo, 'jin'. So if you want 2kg of something, you have to ask for 4 jins.

Same with numbers. They don't have units to the thousand (000) like us, thousand (000), million (000000), billion (000000000). They have it to the hundreds. So hundred (00), wan (0000), million (000000), billion (00000000). so a Chinese billion is only 8 zeros or one hundred million.

If you talk to Chinese person and say you bought a house for six hundred thousand, they may not understand you. They would say 60 Wan or 60 ten thousands.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 02:52 PM   #1683
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
TIL there is such thing as Chinese Inches (cun).

We have a cloth measuring tape, and I assumed that one side was metric and the other was regular American inches, but I never bothered to compare. I used this a couple of times to try to order a cat harness, and they always arrived way too small. I just chalked it up to the Amazon sellers just having crappy sizing charts but in reality, I have been measuring everything in Chinese inches, and 10 Chinese Inches is more than 13 Imperial Inches.
Fun fact and sort of related. In the US Oilpatch length is measured in feet but it's a pain to total up lengths of objects when they are measured this way. So they actually use decimal feet rather than feet/inches. Measuring tapes have feet divided into 1/10's rather than 1/12's.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 03:02 PM   #1684
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Fun fact and sort of related. In the US Oilpatch length is measured in feet but it's a pain to total up lengths of objects when they are measured this way. So they actually use decimal feet rather than feet/inches. Measuring tapes have feet divided into 1/10's rather than 1/12's.
Don't even get me started on their mapping grids and their use of feet...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 03:03 PM   #1685
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Or dress up as our avatars. It's always weird when you meet a CP dude and they're just a normal guy. I want Larry David ffs.
I'm your huckleberry. Recently introduced my S.O. to Curb (she had somehow never heard of it) which she loves now, and she's repeatedly said how many Larryisms I have. I choose to take it as a compliment, but it's probably best I don't look too deeply into it...
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 03:07 PM   #1686
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I'm your huckleberry. Recently introduced my S.O. to Curb (she had somehow never heard of it) which she loves now, and she's repeatedly said how many Larryisms I have. I choose to take it as a compliment, but it's probably best I don't look too deeply into it...
Oh man, me too, dude. My wife stares at me - mouth agape - half the time we watch that show. Apparently I have a lot of Larryisms, as well.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 03:19 PM   #1687
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look forward to our coffee shop meetup where we're both sticking our noses in the brew to prove to the server it's not hot enough.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 03:23 PM   #1688
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Oh man, me too, dude. My wife stares at me - mouth agape - half the time we watch that show. Apparently I have a lot of Larryisms, as well.
Just in case you need reassurance, you’re both living life right and there’s nothing wrong with either of you.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 05:22 PM   #1689
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea what you guys are talking about but in my university days the term Larry (used as an adjective) to describe someone was not exactly complimentary.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:18 PM   #1690
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know which NHL fanbase was the first to yell/emphasize something in the national anthem that related to the team? It seems like a lot of teams are doing it now like Winnipeg, Calgary, Vegas, Dallas, Florida, etc. I feel like it was Winnipeg that started this with their emphasis on "true north" but does anyone know for sure who started this?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 06:49 PM   #1691
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like Calgary came before Winnipeg, unless you mean the Canadian national anthem and not the US’s.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:51 PM   #1692
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were doing it when the Jets were still in Atlanta.

Go watch the anthem during the Heritage Classic at McMahon and you can hear the "C" and "Red" (and I'm still convinced that's the only reason they played the US anthem before a game between Calgary and Montreal). That was February 2011 and the Thrashers officially moved in May 2011.

From what I remember, it was first done at the Dome for David Hale during "what so proudly we hailed" in the 2008 playoffs. Then, the "C" and "Red" started up the next season and was pretty wide spread by the playoffs that year.

I believe Dallas was the first to do it, but I don't have 100% certainty on that. I believe the Caps fans also do "Red" during the anthem, but I'm not sure if they did it before Calgary.

I remember back in the 80s watching an Atlanta Braves game and they shouted out during "the home of the brave(s)" at the end of the anthem.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:52 PM   #1693
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I feel like Calgary came before Winnipeg, unless you mean the Canadian national anthem and not the US’s.
Either one. I thought it might be close between Calgary and Winnipeg but I seem to remember Winnipeg doing it first.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:55 PM   #1694
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Old 05-25-2023, 06:57 PM   #1695
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I have no idea what you guys are talking about but in my university days the term Larry (used as an adjective) to describe someone was not exactly complimentary.
Quiet down Larry.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 07:51 PM   #1696
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
We were doing it when the Jets were still in Atlanta.

Go watch the anthem during the Heritage Classic at McMahon and you can hear the "C" and "Red" (and I'm still convinced that's the only reason they played the US anthem before a game between Calgary and Montreal). That was February 2011 and the Thrashers officially moved in May 2011.

From what I remember, it was first done at the Dome for David Hale during "what so proudly we hailed" in the 2008 playoffs. Then, the "C" and "Red" started up the next season and was pretty wide spread by the playoffs that year.

I believe Dallas was the first to do it, but I don't have 100% certainty on that. I believe the Caps fans also do "Red" during the anthem, but I'm not sure if they did it before Calgary.

I remember back in the 80s watching an Atlanta Braves game and they shouted out during "the home of the brave(s)" at the end of the anthem.
Those are the same things I remember about this, and I think it was Dallas that was first also.

As an aside, I’m not sure which is the worst though. It could be Winnipeg yelling the name of the corporation, which is pretty lame. Or it could be here with fans yelling a couple words in the visiting anthem.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 11:00 AM   #1697
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Either one. I thought it might be close between Calgary and Winnipeg but I seem to remember Winnipeg doing it first.
Nope, Calgary was definitely mid to late 2000's. Winnipeg just came back for the 2010/2011 season.

I think getback is right about Dallas having done it forever, though. I believe Calgary did kind of blow up the trend though, as Washington and Carolina jumped on shouting Red after we started doing it regularly.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 11:04 AM   #1698
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I also bought it was dallas. The stars thing has been going on a long time I think.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 11:07 AM   #1699
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My recollection is Dallas as well, that's definitely the place I recall hearing it first. I went to a game in the old Reunion arena back in the late 90's, I want to say they were doing it then but the memory is a little fuzzy.
Old 05-26-2023, 12:09 PM   #1700
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the Capitals adopted the red color scheme until like 2010ish?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote