Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2024, 01:09 PM   #1661
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really sucks that there are so few options out there and that none of those options are without their own warts

Hopefully the Jays can find the right guy and then not have to sign him to some risky and brutal contract
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2024, 03:57 PM   #1662
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nightengale saying the jays have been poking around Snell

I mean if they were after Yamamoto, I could see them wanting Snell too

He's a weird one. Such good stuff, but walks a ton of batters. It's amazing he gets away with it and you wonder when his luck will run out in that regard, or maybe it's just not luck at all.

That'd be one hell of a rotation though, wow.

Manoah would have to start in AAA unless they trade him first. I'd be fine with that too, he can rebuild his value there just fine IMO. If he were to nuke AAA for a couple months and look good doing it, someone would pony up for him for sure. Might be able to add a solid bat mid season ish
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2024, 05:25 PM   #1663
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The FA market on pitching this year seems the opposite of the batting, where there seemed to be some really good pitchers available. So I'm all for getting a guy for "free" in the FA market, then trading another pitching asset for a batting position they need. Even as you say, starting Monoah in AAA would work, or doing a six man rotation if he'd be called up would be smart (though not ideal). There's almost no way they luck out again with no pitching injuries, so it's a good move to strengthen it up a bit.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2024, 06:11 PM   #1664
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
The FA market on pitching this year seems the opposite of the batting, where there seemed to be some really good pitchers available. So I'm all for getting a guy for "free" in the FA market, then trading another pitching asset for a batting position they need. Even as you say, starting Monoah in AAA would work, or doing a six man rotation if he'd be called up would be smart (though not ideal). There's almost no way they luck out again with no pitching injuries, so it's a good move to strengthen it up a bit.
So what you're saying is sign a FA pitcher, then trade Manoah for Elly de la Cruz and have him play 3rd base? I like it.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 11:50 PM   #1665
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have any doubt that if the Jays are in a decent spot, there will be $ there for trade deadline acquisitions.
Rogers screwed that up about a decade ago, and with the offseason likely coming in a bit cheaper than anticipated by them, it can be made up in July. Just have to hope the Jays are generally still in it at that point.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 07:57 AM   #1666
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
So what you're saying is sign a FA pitcher, then trade Manoah for Elly de la Cruz and have him play 3rd base? I like it.
Haha. I wish. To be clear, I think the best time to trade Manoah would be right now when there’s hope it was a one off, season he just had. I’ve said it before and say it again that it’s really tough to get your mental and physical game aligned and I’d assume there will be trial and errors for him this upcoming season, much like this past season. He’s going to have to lose weight, get his mental situation right, check his ego, and adapt his pitching mechanics to the pitch clock all at once. It’s a lot to change and I don’t hold much hope it can be done all at once. Especially with his ego. So I would prefer they deal him now if a good offer is out there. Chances of a bounce back are slim for at least about a year.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:01 AM   #1667
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Nightengale saying the jays have been poking around Snell
I'd rather they invest in a bat.

I mean Snell is really good... but there is such a wide potential range in what he would represent. What I mean to say is that if Manoah is the Manoah of last year then Snell is a big upgrade... but if he's the Manoah from two years ago then using Snell over him probably makes the team worse overall.

I'd rather they put money in where the additional win probability has less potential variance.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:39 AM   #1668
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I'd rather they invest in a bat.

I mean Snell is really good... but there is such a wide potential range in what he would represent. What I mean to say is that if Manoah is the Manoah of last year then Snell is a big upgrade... but if he's the Manoah from two years ago then using Snell over him probably makes the team worse overall.

I'd rather they put money in where the additional win probability has less potential variance.
I think there are a variety of questions on how to get that boost. The batting market is questionable. So do you sign a fa or trade for a guy? If you trade for someone who do you give up? We don’t have a lot to give up prospect wise which we could afford. You’re right with reference to Snell Manoah. The club will have to make a call on who has more realistic value. To me I’d keep Manoah down the full year unless he tears it up, should Snell be signed. The guy needs to get his confidence back. Snell is a vet and will probably bounce back nicely.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:19 AM   #1669
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays 'optimistic' on landing Cuban righty Rodriguez

The Toronto Blue Jays are optimistic they will land Cuban right-hander Yariel Rodriguez, according to The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal.
Rosenthal adds hurdles remain in his immigration status, which could be preventing the Blue Jays from completing the deal. On Dec. 29, ESPN's Enrique Rojas reported the Jays had taken the lead in the bidding.
Rodriguez, 26, pitched 56 games with Japan's Chunichi Dragons in 2022 and was lights out, recording a 1.15 ERA with 60 strikeouts in 54.2 innings out of the bullpen. He also pitched for Cuba during the World Baseball Classic, appearing in two games and turning in a 2.45 ERA in 7.2 innings.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:29 AM   #1670
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what landing Rodriguez would look like?

He apparently wants to start but sat out last season. Probably should start out in AAA at first, but maybe some teams are offering to start him immediately in MLB.

He could potentially fit in well as a swing man, but the Jays already have that with White who finished last season just ripping AAA a new one, and also has no options left.

Hopefully they get him, can't have too many arms, it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Baseball FA is so annoying with how long everything takes to happen. You hear chatter for weeks and weeks before you get a resolution lol
Old 01-16-2024, 06:06 PM   #1671
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays add a bat
https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...-chicago-cubs/
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:28 AM   #1672
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
He apparently wants to start but sat out last season. Probably should start out in AAA at first, but maybe some teams are offering to start him immediately in MLB.
I doubt it. Unless he really screws the pooch in ST he'll be on a major league roster. Probably in the swingman role. Yeah, White is out of options... but Mitch White isn't a guy that you HAVE to keep... if he's DFA'd it wouldn't be a big loss. Probably would give Manoah the inside track on the #5 spot with Rodriguez being the fallback option if he falters.

I hope Nate Pearson sticks this year.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:47 AM   #1673
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like a done deal, pending physical

https://twitter.com/user/status/1747673107140088307
Jiggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 10:52 AM   #1674
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Looks like AA is now a Brave until at least 2031.
Jays Journal misses him:

https://jaysjournal.com/posts/former...on-with-braves

Quote:
Ross Atkins is now starting his 9th year as Toronto GM, and the team has no AL East titles under his leadership. They haven’t won a playoff game since 2016, with a team that was mostly inherited from his predecessors. And the 2023 team was one of MLB’s oldest, with a bottom third farm system. Current stars Bichette and Guerrero can test free agency after 2025, as can Jordan Romano. Danny Jansen will be a free agent after the upcoming season unless a contract extension is signed.

So while we wish Alex Anthopoulos well and congratulate him on his big extension, Blue Jays fans are also left wondering, “What could have been?” In 2015, the Blue Jays luxury tax payroll was $141M, which ranked 16th in baseball. What could he have done with a top-five luxury tax payroll of $258M, like Atkins had in 2023?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:53 AM   #1675
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Sounds like a done deal, pending physical
https://twitter.com/user/status/1747673107140088307
Morosi better be right on this one. Blue Jays fans will show up with pitchforks and torches if he is wrong again.

Last edited by ben voyonsdonc; 01-17-2024 at 10:55 AM.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:05 AM   #1676
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Article failed to mention that AA inherited a roster with Acuna, Austin Riley, Ozzie Albies, Mike Soroka and Max Fried. AA is great, but he walked into a pretty nice situation.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 11:32 AM   #1677
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excited to get Rodriguez.

96 MPH+, four useful pitches

That'd be amazing if they are able to stretch him out and he turned into a decent starter.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:04 PM   #1678
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the Jays are planning to use a 6 man rotation to reduce the workload on the top 4 and also ease in other guys who have had limited injuries and/or performance issues this past year.

1. Gausman
2. Berrios
3. Bassitt
4. Kikuchi
5. Manoah
6. White/Rodriguez/Tiedemann

I know the numbers show the Jays top 4 performed a LOT better on an extra day of rest throughout last season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 01:52 PM   #1679
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pitchers and catchers report Feb -15th. Less than a month away!
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 04:31 PM   #1680
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heyman apparently saying the Jays are the favorites for Soler as of now.

I think I should feel OK about that, but not 100% sure lol

Hopefully they use him as strictly a DH and he brings his 2023 bat with him if they do sign him