Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #1621
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Because he got spooked and support the invasion of Iraq.
There was no way to avoid it, as much as the numpties in the UK don't want to admit it the UK is the US's ***ch as has to do as its told, Corbyn would have had to take the troops in.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:08 AM   #1622
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Yes in much the same way the numpties on the UK left think Tony Blair, the most successful Labour Prime in history (granted not a high bar to meet) was a complete failure
It is strange how activists in both Labour and the Democrats revile the leaders of their parties who have actually managed to win national elections and govern. Success itself is regarded with hostility and resentment by those habituated to opposition and protest.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-02-2020 at 10:10 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #1623
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It is strange how activists in both Labour and the Democrats revile the leaders of their parties who have actually managed to win national elections and govern. Success itself is regarded with hostility and resentment by those habituated to opposition and protest.
On this week's episode of "Cliff completely misses the point..."
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:50 AM   #1624
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think the resentment, at least speaking from the labour side, is due to the fact that democrats make big promises and rely on working class voters to become elected. However once elected there is very little action taken to address the concerns of the working class.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #1625
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, other than Biden, it's not like any of the candidates are really speaking directly to the working class. Hillary failed in that area, too. Bernie certainly has a working class constituency too although he's his own animal in that regard as in most others.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #1626
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Honestly, other than Biden, it's not like any of the candidates are really speaking directly to the working class. Hillary failed in that area, too. Bernie certainly has a working class constituency too although he's his own animal in that regard as in most others.
What gives you the sense that Biden is speaking to/for the working class? Genuinely curious to know, to me he comes off as a “business as usual” democrat which IMO isn’t helpful to working class and lower income Americans.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #1627
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Another one is dropping out.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1234547676034801666
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #1628
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Klobuchar is dropping out, will fly to Dallas to endorse Biden.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #1629
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Establishment coalescing around Biden... wonder if Warren figures she's helping more one way or the other. Ir maybe she figures she'll pick up a bunch of Klob voters as a result of being the only woman left.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:46 AM   #1630
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
What gives you the sense that Biden is speaking to/for the working class? Genuinely curious to know, to me he comes off as a “business as usual” democrat which IMO isn’t helpful to working class and lower income Americans.
I might have wished for more from the Obama years although without control of either the House or Senate I'm not sure how they could have done more but the passing of Obamacare was probably the most significant gain the working poor in the US have had since LBJ and the Great Society, added to that the management of the 2008 financial crisis, what else do you want?
Old 03-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #1631
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Establishment coalescing around Biden... wonder if Warren figures she's helping more one way or the other. Ir maybe she figures she'll pick up a bunch of Klob voters as a result of being the only woman left.
Sure. It could put Warren over 15% to qualify for delegates. Especially in California.

All shes in it for now is to get enough delegates to be the balance of power in a brokered convention.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #1632
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know which side Warren is on between Biden and Sanders. Her politics align more closely to Bernie and I'm sure she is taking more votes from him, but she really doesn't seem to like or support him.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #1633
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Warren is playing spoiler against Bernie now. She's sticking around to siphon enough support off Bernie to make it a brokered convention.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #1634
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
An opinion shared by a large majority of Democrats, and by most Americans as a whole.

However, that isn't the case in the progressive echo-chamber, where Obama is reviled as a neoliberal, centrist, corporatist shill who was a massive failure as president. And these folks vastly overestimate how many Democrats and Americans share their opinion.

Where's your basis for this opinion?

It's a common thought that the younger a person is, the more liberal they are.

Millennials have the highest % favourability of Obama, in the second article that you tagged.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #1635
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I might have wished for more from the Obama years although without control of either the House or Senate I'm not sure how they could have done more but the passing of Obamacare was probably the most significant gain the working poor in the US have had since LBJ and the Great Society, added to that the management of the 2008 financial crisis, what else do you want?
I don’t disagree that Obamacare was a significant gain for low income Americans, at the same time it didn’t do much to address the actual problems that are making healthcare increasingly less affordable in the US.

As for what else I would want, off the top of my head, labour law reform, increasing the federal minimum wage, better regulation of the pharmaceutical, healthcare and insurance industries would be at the top of my list. Many of the problems facing working class people and low income earners in the US are systemic so I don’t think throwing a carrot to a small number of those affected is going to make a very big improvement if everything else keeps getting worse.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #1636
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t disagree that Obamacare was a significant gain for low income Americans, at the same time it didn’t do much to address the actual problems that are making healthcare increasingly less affordable in the US.

As for what else I would want, off the top of my head, labour law reform, increasing the federal minimum wage, better regulation of the pharmaceutical, healthcare and insurance industries would be at the top of my list. Many of the problems facing working class people and low income earners in the US are systemic so I don’t think throwing a carrot to a small number of those affected is going to make a very big improvement if everything else keeps getting worse.
All of those would have required a democratic house and senate or a magic wand, none of which they had
Old 03-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #1637
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All of those would have required a democratic house and senate or a magic wand, none of which they had
The democrats had a majority in both the house and the senate in 2008 did they not?
Old 03-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #1638
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Mayor Pete will endorse Biden as well, his campaign manager says.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #1639
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The democrats had a majority in both the house and the senate in 2008 did they not?
Which tells you how difficult getting a hardline progressive agenda passed will be. Bernie isn’t getting to 60 in the Senate and most of his big ideas are impossible to do through reconciliation. Also worth remembering things are roughly 10,000 times more polarized now, making it even more difficult.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #1640
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Which tells you how difficult getting a hardline progressive agenda passed will be. Bernie isn’t getting to 60 in the Senate and most of his big ideas are impossible to do through reconciliation. Also worth remembering things are roughly 10,000 times more polarized now, making it even more difficult.
The republicans haven’t seemed to struggle with moving their agenda forward.