Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2016, 10:40 PM   #1601
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
In a city, there are no problems with all weather IMO they are adequate, but obviously winter tires are better. However, if you do the occasional drive on the highways in the mountains, there may be a benefit to having winters.
I also think it varies vehicle to vehicle. I feel very sturdy in my Frontier with Duratracs on icey highways. The Crosstrek with Geolanders however starts to get floaty on icey highways to the point where the vehicle won't track straight as it shimmy's in the ruts. Terrifying! Track width perhaps? Wide tires on a light vehicle maybe? Overrated Subaru AWD system?

Heavy vehicles on skinny (comparatively) tires seem to do better on ice. Not that I'm supporting the practice but there are no shortage of guys on slick roads going 140 in a one ton truck with a pair of sleds on the deck...

Last edited by kevman; 10-10-2016 at 10:42 PM.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #1602
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quite enjoy my studded tires. The definite downside is road noise, especially in the first week or two before they get worn in a little. But they are phenomenal on ice, and especially black ice. Even when the roads are "greasy" with that fine blowing snow over them. I personally haven't noticed any drop in performance on snow either. They are basically a proper winter tire, so the treads to the work on the snow regardless of the little studs on the tire. It is on the ice where you can really feel them bite in.

Initially, the noise was enough where I actually doubted my decision. But after a couple of weeks, they got a fair bit quieter. Definitely noticeable still, but a reasonable trade-off for me personally. I'll probably get studs on my next set as well, as I find them well suited to Calgary's climate. We don't get a lot of snow compared with other Canadian cities, but we get a lot of freezing and thawing.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #1603
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
got my winter rims/tires for my new truck this week...

35" studded general grabber at2

Spoiler!

i'm not sure if i'm a huge fan of the all black rims. oh well - they're just winters.

now watch kelowna get even less snow than normal
Why the Fata do you need winters? I thought Kelowna was an easy winter.

Also:

Spoiler!

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #1604
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I also think it varies vehicle to vehicle. I feel very sturdy in my Frontier with Duratracs on icey highways. The Crosstrek with Geolanders however starts to get floaty on icey highways to the point where the vehicle won't track straight as it shimmy's in the ruts. Terrifying! Track width perhaps? Wide tires on a light vehicle maybe? Overrated Subaru AWD system?

Heavy vehicles on skinny (comparatively) tires seem to do better on ice. Not that I'm supporting the practice but there are no shortage of guys on slick roads going 140 in a one ton truck with a pair of sleds on the deck...
A heavier vehicle will always feel more stable IMO. I think it has to do with the fact that the heavier vehicle isn't prone to being affected by wind on top of the difference in road traction. I believe this also is reflected in some people's suggestions of weighing down your trunk with kitty litter for stability and the ability to use the kitty litter in the event you hit an area that needs a bit of extra traction.

Another thing to sometimes consider is clearance height. I've seen guys in sub compact cars stuck because they had winters on, felt invincible and tried to drive over a snow bank that SUVs were clearing no problem.

Personally, the things I notice most about AWD systems is the acceleration and ability to do evasive maneuvers is superior, but braking is the same as other vehicles of similar weight with the same tires. I really doubt in general though that those with AWD systems are of higher ability to avoid collisions though. Aggressive actions or panic often negates their AWD advantage. AWD is superior and offers benefits, but I really doubt the average driver is actually able to use the AWD system in a safe manner. I do feel it does offer a slightly more comfortable ride in the winter though. Less wobble.

Driving style > Tires > vehicle weight > AWD in terms of biggest ability to affect towards avoiding collisions IMO, but probably not everyone agrees.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #1605
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Got my winter tires on today. that is all.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:12 PM   #1606
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had my previously ordered Blizzak WS80s put on today at Costco. Glad I ordered while it was still warm out, they're booking into November now for appointment installs (still the FCFS massacre every morning, no thanks).
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #1607
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are Nokians still bad for treadwear? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on some Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 (studded) for my 2x4 F150 but I don't want to spend the money on a tire that is only going to last 1-2 winters.
fundmark19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #1608
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
They are OK for traction (IMHO 75% of a winter tire) but I would say they have 30% of the braking abilities of a winter tire. They are a compromise.

It irked me to watch this Kal Tire guy talk some lady out of winters for all weathers. She came in wanting Winters, and talked her down to AW's emphasizing the benefits (mainly cost) but didn't talk about the compromises.

Speaking of Kal Tire, they did a craptastic job today. Used my summer wheel lugs on my winter wheels despite me leaving separate bags marked summer & winter. The summer lugs stick out an extra 1/2" so they looked fairly ridiculous. And they didn't chalk the summers position for rotation.

This is why I do my own rotations... (I was buying new winters today)
I swear the Kal Tire sales guys must get a larger commission from selling Nokians. Went in looking for winter tires for my gf's car and they started pushing the all weathers right away. I had the X-Ice on my vehicle and really liked them so was looking for those for her car. Guy thought it was odd I was considering that particular tire...talked up the Nokian winter tire. We went to a couple different tire places and none of them stuck to one brand of tire like Kal Tire did.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #1609
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sixth winter on my blizzaks starts today... probably going to need new ones next year, but they've held up well. Granted, the large majority of my driving on them is to and from the mountains.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #1610
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Annual plug for the General Tire AlitMAX Artic. I've used these for a number of years in the city and the mountains and am happy with the performance. They are in my sweet spot of performance vs budget, a little cheaper than Blizzaks and Xis, but still offer really good performance and long life (going on 6 years with one set no problem).

Canadian tire is having a sale on them right now too, 25% off. That makes them an even better deal right now.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #1611
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to get a set of General Altimax Arctic studded tires for my mom's Genesis sedan but with studs and install it was over $1050. I find a good deal on a set of Pirelli Winter Ice Zero tires instead which was only $900. We've never run studded tires in our family before so I'm interested in seeing how the Pirelli's handle our slick winter roads. I'm expecting it will be pretty awesome accelerating and braking at ice covered intersections.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #1612
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

I wanted to get studded tires for the truck but then I have to worry about changing the tires back and forth when the pavement is bare.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #1613
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why? Just run them all winter.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #1614
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Why? Just run them all winter.
Just heard about someone getting a 400$ ticket for running studs on bare pavement
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #1615
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Just heard about someone getting a 400$ ticket for running studs on bare pavement
I don't think Alberta has regulations on studded tires. I would think studded tires would be over-kill in Calgary and would reduce braking performance on wet roads, which is the norm for the majority of winter in Calgary.

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 10-15-2016 at 01:03 PM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #1616
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, there are some places that have fines, but not Alberta, and I don't think BC.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #1617
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was told that the regulation in Alberta was that studded tires could be used from Nov 1 to May 1 which is similar to BC (Oct 1 to May 1.)
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #1618
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't look like there are any regulations.
https://tirecraft.com/resource/can-u...-tires-canada/
It says "during winter" but nothing about specific dates.
From Alberta Transportation:
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...er%20Tires.pdf
Old 10-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #1619
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'll go outside and spend the 15 minutes to change the tires.
where do you live, airdrie?
Old 10-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #1620
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I swear the Kal Tire sales guys must get a larger commission from selling Nokians. Went in looking for winter tires for my gf's car and they started pushing the all weathers right away. I had the X-Ice on my vehicle and really liked them so was looking for those for her car. Guy thought it was odd I was considering that particular tire...talked up the Nokian winter tire. We went to a couple different tire places and none of them stuck to one brand of tire like Kal Tire did.
Yep I was hard sold on those as well for an f150 years ago (winters). Ended up getting them. Believe it or not the handling was hands down better than the stock firestones that came with the truck. The firestones were like driving on balloons. The walls of the Nokian were so much better

Last edited by calumniate; 10-15-2016 at 06:29 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote