Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2022, 11:43 AM   #1581
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Y'all I know it's not how it works today. I am literally working on a portion of this exact project for another type of facility design. This absolutely CAN be done if we change a few small regulatory considerations. It's not about full pre approval, but getting everything not requiring exact design approval up to regulatory snuff and just requiring the design portions for the last 15 yards. This is achievable. Alternately, you can pre approve a range of design options.

We can't just say "this is not how it works". Yes, it's not how it currently works. But how it currently works doesn't actually work, and that's what we need to fix.

Oh I don't agree with most of this
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:02 PM   #1582
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
PP fighting the good fight for the common man

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...prime-minister

If there is one thing we need it is to have laws written in the most simple way possible.
I think there is something to be said for clear and concise legislation, but is there really anyone confused by the word "obtain" vs. "get"?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:04 PM   #1583
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I think there is something to be said for clear and concise legislation, but is there really anyone confused by the word "obtain" vs. "get"?
Is it more of a second language/immigration issue rather than dumbing things down for native speakers?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:09 PM   #1584
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is it more of a second language/immigration issue rather than dumbing things down for native speakers?
I think it’s more about keeping the language as ambiguous as possible. The lawyers on here can probably better explain how that will inevitably be problematic.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:12 PM   #1585
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

If there is one thing we need it is to have laws written in the most simple way possible.
I have been told that it takes a lot more effort, in terms of work, skill and time, to write laws that are simple, as opposed to what normally takes place. My guess is finding the right people to accomplish this is going to be difficult. I don't think bureaucrats are that talented...they aren't paid enough to attract the right people.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:23 PM   #1586
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I have been told that it takes a lot more effort, in terms of work, skill and time, to write laws that are simple, as opposed to what normally takes place. My guess is finding the right people to accomplish this is going to be difficult. I don't think bureaucrats are that talented...they aren't paid enough to attract the right people.
People are only talented if they make a lot of money?
Old 09-01-2022, 12:30 PM   #1587
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Druh Farrell and Pierre Poilievre; two peas in a pod

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...rell-1.5871829
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #1588
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

"According to a press release obtained by the National Post ahead of release, Conservative leadership front-runner would pass the law to require government publications use the “fewest and simplest words needed” to state information but also require legal drafters to write laws as simply as possible.

and

Ordinary Canadians would also be able to report “bureaucratese” — defined as overcomplicated language used by bureaucrats — on a specially created webpage.

Simpler language = more vague language for interpreting laws.

In other words, people who want more freedoms can simply argue the law was written to wordy to understand.

It effectively dumbs down our legal system and lets people obstruct justice based on more vague interpretations of laws, legislations, and policy.

This also effectively assumes that courts, lawyers, and the legal profession as a whole are too dumb to do their own jobs.

We should just call this the "Be Your Own Lawyer" Act.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:45 PM   #1589
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can I report 'bureaucratese'?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:50 PM   #1590
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Basically he'll get after the tax laws, simplify them, create more loopholes he and his buddies can take advantage of.
Old 09-01-2022, 01:20 PM   #1591
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

One of the major strengths of the English language is the breadth of vocabulary it has, choosing the correct word is usually more important than choosing the simplest. That said, there's nothing wrong with having style guides - but there is definitely something wrong with having a single style guide for the entire federal government and all its many parts.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:48 PM   #1592
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...eir-fair-share

On Thursday, the Trudeau Liberals brought in a new luxury tax on high-end cars, boats and planes.

It’s just their latest attempt to tax Canada into prosperity, which as Churchill said, is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.

Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland, who also holds the finance portfolio, defended the new tax Wednesday by once again falling back on the argument that’s it’s about people paying their fair share.

“I think it is great for Canadians to be successful. It is great for Canadians to be prosperous. I also think that people who are doing really, really well should feel comfortable supporting everybody else.”

Just another tax. Another tax that will unfortunately harm some industries. Costing jobs for working class people.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:55 PM   #1593
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

In terms of harms to working class people, a tax on $100,000 cars and $250,000 boats is about the least onerous tax you could design other than a progressive income tax.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2022, 09:01 PM   #1594
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd be curious how much tax revenue they're estimating from this.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:16 PM   #1595
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I'd be curious how much tax revenue they're estimating from this.
PBO says 2023-24 could see $163M in tax revenue generated. But this new tax could also see a decrease in sales of these luxury goods by $2.8B over the next 5 years.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 09-01-2022 at 10:05 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:26 PM   #1596
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
In terms of harms to working class people, a tax on $100,000 cars and $250,000 boats is about the least onerous tax you could design other than a progressive income tax.
I don’t know. I just think it could be as simple as a salesperson losing their job. I’m sure if I wasn’t so tired right now, I could think of more people and more jobs that could be directly affected by this tax.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:35 PM   #1597
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I don’t know. I just think it could be as simple as a salesperson losing their job. I’m sure if I wasn’t so tired right now, I could think of more people and more jobs that could be directly affected by this tax.
No need. I acknowledge they exist, and concede that simply taxing high incomes (or wealth/capital gains) would avoid the drawback of picking winners and losers (i.e. distorting the economy) while producing an overall similar effect in terms of raising revenue while distributing the burden to those who can most afford to bear it.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #1598
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Rest up and I’m sure the scare tactics will naturally start to come to you.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:40 PM   #1599
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I agree with Doctorfever. We should just raise the income taxes on people who can afford a $250,000 boat instead of making them buy a $250,000 boat to try and get extra taxes from them. That way they can’t just avoid the tax by buying a $249,999 boat while making the guy who works at the $250,000+ boat dealership lose his job.

Great point Doctorfever. Tax the rich. Directly and swiftly.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2022, 09:43 PM   #1600
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
"According to a press release obtained by the National Post ahead of release, Conservative leadership front-runner would pass the law to require government publications use the “fewest and simplest words needed” to state information but also require legal drafters to write laws as simply as possible.

and

Ordinary Canadians would also be able to report “bureaucratese” — defined as overcomplicated language used by bureaucrats — on a specially created webpage.

Simpler language = more vague language for interpreting laws.

In other words, people who want more freedoms can simply argue the law was written to wordy to understand.

It effectively dumbs down our legal system and lets people obstruct justice based on more vague interpretations of laws, legislations, and policy.

This also effectively assumes that courts, lawyers, and the legal profession as a whole are too dumb to do their own jobs.

We should just call this the "Be Your Own Lawyer" Act.
Hi, I'd like to report the bureaucratise website for bureaucratise

Last edited by Torture; 09-01-2022 at 09:45 PM.
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote