Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2024, 12:44 AM   #141
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EN FUEGO View Post
Hate to bring this up, but I'm referring to geographical/tax/economic factors like Tkachuck wanting to wear flip flops, Johnny wanting a better nursing program for his wife, and Hanafin wanting ______ being greatly exacerbated. I don't think Johnny thought Columbus was a cup contender.

We have already been offering better money and having guys walk, it's gonna get worse. (Including assets we are developing now)
If Johnny Gaudreau’s dad doesn’t have a heart attack and a global pandemic doesn’t happen, Gaudreau is still a Flame.

Tkachuk, they should’ve signed long term when they had the chance.

Hanifin… what professional reason would he have for staying?

“So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.”

We love you, Rowan - February 15, 2024

We love you, Johnny - August 13 1993 - August 29, 2024

We love you, Matthew - December 5, 1994 - August 29, 2024
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:11 AM   #142
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I Learned is Zarys -moustashe is Moon. No way they are not one and the same.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:03 AM   #143
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lol i thought we were all aboard the rebuild train. I’m shocked at how many posters in this thread are already complaining.

Keep the L’s coming boys!!

Chicago is last in the league and Bedard had a 5 point game today. Don’t tell me he’s not worth the price of admission on a nightly basis. Flames just need to draft a franchise cornerstone and the losing in the short term will matter less. The team just doesn’t have a player that’s a draw right now. Losing as much as possible is the best way to solve that issue.

We will likely end up picking in top 10 this year and are highly incentivized to pick in the top 10 next year. Hopefully we can truly bottom out and be in the Gavin Mckenna sweepstakes.

Embrace the losing. Do your part by leaving the TV on the game or continuing to buy your normal Flames gear. I know i will be doing just that. As a fan, this is all I’ve ever wanted. Dream come true.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to InternationalVillager For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 05:39 AM   #144
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
My god people have lost their minds around here hahaha

The Flames start a rebuild (or god forbid a retool) , have traded 5 UFAs and lose 3 games to arguably the 3 best teams in the NHL and now people are worried that they will be moving the team shortly after the new stadium opens ?

Wow
It was a tongue in cheek comment about things scary real fast if there are empty seats. Empty seats is not scary for anyone other than the owners (and potentially Flames employees due to possible layoffs) because there is supposed to be a “you must stay in Calgary” clause attached to the arena largess. If that clause does not exist they could move.

I also could have misinterpreted what All in Good meant by scary real fast. But for me as a fan the number of fans in the building is not scary for anyone other than a very select group of Calgarians and a resident of Switzerland.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:22 AM   #145
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
To the pro-tank people who are also complaining:

Spoiler!
It's already funny reading these threads after 3 rough games. What the hell did people expect when they asked for a rebuild?

Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:24 AM   #146
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideally the losses would be closer and the games have a little more entertainment value but these losses are exactly what the doctor ordered. It's a results based league and they are getting the results they need to ice a good team in the future.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:28 AM   #147
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hardly pro-tanking, more-so just 'look at the bright side'
Even if we'd been undefeated since the deadline the Flames would still not be in the playoffs. I agree getting shelled isn't fun, I mean I didn't even watch last night, but a few weeks of this is for the best. Hope they drop below a few more teams

We're coming Tij!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 06:32 AM   #148
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
It was a tongue in cheek comment about things scary real fast if there are empty seats. Empty seats is not scary for anyone other than the owners (and potentially Flames employees due to possible layoffs) because there is supposed to be a “you must stay in Calgary” clause attached to the arena largess. If that clause does not exist they could move.

I also could have misinterpreted what All in Good meant by scary real fast. But for me as a fan the number of fans in the building is not scary for anyone other than a very select group of Calgarians and a resident of Switzerland.
Yeah, I’m not worried if attendance drops. The Flames aren’t going anywhere. If anything Murray will just cash out and find a new owner.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 07:00 AM   #149
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think for passion to remain high among the fanbase during a rebuild it's important to have a young franchise player that excites people. We have some solid young players in the system but nobody that really has star potential. Having a Flames prospect win rookie of the year or something would be huge if it's a losing season. Unfortunately to get these types you have to suffer through some painful hockey.

I remember following Iginla closely through the Young Guns era and being excited for what he could possibly turn into. Hopefully we have someone in the system step up and make things exciting during the next couple of years!
Flames_F.T.W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames_F.T.W For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2024, 07:04 AM   #150
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Yeah, I’m not worried if attendance drops. The Flames aren’t going anywhere. If anything Murray will just cash out and find a new owner.
Didn’t they sign a commitment as part of the arena deal?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:08 AM   #151
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Of course they did . 35 years .

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/calgar...28153.amp.html
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:08 AM   #152
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:10 AM   #153
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Yes my point was only I hope the City of Calgary’s legal team crossed the i’s and dotted the t’s on that commitment and there are no weird out clauses. Ideally that clause would be binding in all scenarios.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:12 AM   #154
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
It's already funny reading these threads after 3 rough games. What the hell did people expect when they asked for a rebuild?

Careful what you wish for.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:14 AM   #155
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Yes my point was only I hope the City of Calgary’s legal team crossed the i’s and dotted the t’s on that commitment and there are no weird out clauses. Ideally that clause would be binding in all scenarios.
This just reads like desperation to be disappointed man…
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:17 AM   #156
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus christ, we've been rebuilding for 3 games and already the team is relocating LOLOLOL
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:18 AM   #157
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
I think for passion to remain high among the fanbase during a rebuild it's important to have a young franchise player that excites people. We have some solid young players in the system but nobody that really has star potential. Having a Flames prospect win rookie of the year or something would be huge if it's a losing season. Unfortunately to get these types you have to suffer through some painful hockey.

I remember following Iginla closely through the Young Guns era and being excited for what he could possibly turn into. Hopefully we have someone in the system step up and make things exciting during the next couple of years!
I bought seasons for the Save our Flames campaign and before that went to many games as a result of old 5 dollar vouchers for Flames tickets you used to be able to get in 12 packs of Coca Cola. Got the seasons when I turned 21. But back in the young fun days we would sit in the bleeders for the first period and keep an eye out for rows of empty seats in the lower bowl. If you moved down during intermissions when people were coming and going the ushers would never stop you. That system was always reliable for me until the Flames started winning again. Hell, in the 2004 playoffs the Flames had a deal where STH’s could get another seat for each seat they held if you bought for all 4 rounds. If the Flames were knocked out (which did not happen on that great run) it was credited to your account for next year. Grabbed my best friend two seats for the entire run under that system.

During a rebuild you end up getting down to your tried and true fans. From 2000 until the end of the 2004 season it was hard to give away your tickets if you could not make a game.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:19 AM   #158
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This just reads like desperation to be disappointed man…
It reads more like someone who still thinks it is ridiculous to give away a billion bucks. But that ship has sailed. I was a STH for 16 years until I moved away from Calgary. Probably been to about 600 Flames games at the dome in my life. But sure I am desperate to be a disappointed man😂
Old 03-13-2024, 07:26 AM   #159
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EN FUEGO View Post
I have no issue with the trades made this season, that's just common sense asset management.

My issue is with cheering for losses and a full on rebuild. Those years prior to 04 were soul sucking on me because I bleed Flames hockey like everyone else here.

I have serious doubts the fan base will give the necessary support if it takes the better part of a decade to get back in the playoffs again, but I'll do my part and buy tickets when I'm in town.
Its not a full rebuild, difference being the ownership want a competitive team when their new building opens

Flames obviously need to improve their prospects etc.

They will have lots of cap, to spend when its time.
flambers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:50 AM   #160
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I am fine with the team being bad, that is where they were trending anyways and now have some assets to go along with being bad.

I have always thought the 'intelligent' hockey fan is akin to the noble savage. This semi-mythical fan that will pay big dollars and show up to watch terrible hockey because they are a real Canadian.

The Flames will sellout when they are good and hopefully they are about to enter an era where they actually have a #1 center and a #1 D.

Let's gooooo drafting.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post: