Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2022, 10:18 PM   #141
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Can they please trade Markstrom? Before there is a need to pay a first round pick to get rid of him?

Typical Flames - going to wait until the player has 0 to negative value before getting rid of them.

I am sure a team like the Kings can use him. Heck, send him to Edmonton.
Markstrom for Peterson straight up. Jesus LAs goalie tandem would be 100 years old.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:18 PM   #142
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I feel like I barely ever notice him.
For a defenseman, that's not bad, but I wish I noticed him more in the offensive zone though.
I am the same way.

Frankly he is playing pretty well but I was expecting some more high risk, high reward play from him. And a guy that would really lead the way in gaining the zone more.

That was his calling card in FLA. Of course they got nowhere with him playing like that and some will tell you he cost them a playoff series with some of his gaffes.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:20 PM   #143
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

So many people piling on Markstrom but this team doesn't come back from 1 goal leads. It's evident from the many 1 goal losses we've had. It's virtually impossible to take leads in 82 games this season and it feels like when we are behind regardless of the goal, we can't bounce back. That's not on Markstrom, that's on the mental strength of the team and the system. We are playing not to lose right now instead of playing to win. There's a difference.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:21 PM   #144
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

The book is out with the flames system. Play a perimeter only defence in the zone, allow a million low quality shots, win games. Sutter’s inability to adapt or create a new system with the tools he has is incredibly frustrating. He should be getting as much heat as Markstrom gets on this board. How we have a woefully losing record when we shoot 40+ shots is actually so sad it’s impressive.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:22 PM   #145
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Pretty crazy only 18000 tonight. I don't think I've ever seen a Montreal/leafs game not sold out in calgary.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:22 PM   #146
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitix View Post
The powerplay (first unit since they get most of the icetime) is just so embarrassing, I have not seen one so non-threatening in awhile. I do not think there is a single east-west pass, not a single drawn up play, every time they get the puck they stick handle and take a look as if they do not know what to do with it. It is either a side shot or dman shot. It is the dumbest and least creative powerplay
Loved Muller as a player but jesus why the hell is he the powerplay coach!!!
Even 5 on 5 half the time it looks like they don't have a clue what their linemate is going to do with the puck. No anticipation of what is going to happen next. The ####ing defenseman are scared to do anything on offence other then the odd rush by Nikita. Something amiss with the coaching or gameplan.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:23 PM   #147
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CalgaryFlam...tm_name=iossmf
Old 12-01-2022, 10:23 PM   #148
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
So many people piling on Markstrom but this team doesn't come back from 1 goal leads. It's evident from the many 1 goal losses we've had. It's virtually impossible to take leads in 82 games this season and it feels like when we are behind regardless of the goal, we can't bounce back. That's not on Markstrom, that's on the mental strength of the team and the system. We are playing not to lose right now instead of playing to win. There's a difference.
No… markstrom is a liability. I call a spade a spade. He’s a straight liability.

People coming to defend this guy this season are out of it… this is a what have you done for me lately league.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:24 PM   #149
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lack of top end skill is very evident. This team has no game breakers or anyone who can put the team on their back when down a goal. The style they are playing right now is to grind away and direct pucks to the net. Most often these are low percentage perimeter opportunities.

You can certainly have a low talented team go far (think 04) but unfortunately this team doesn’t have a Jarome Iginla type player to take over games and dominate shifts. And don’t even start me on the goaltending…
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ferarri For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:27 PM   #150
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Yep.
Like, sure he's let in some bad goals, but even if he was playing lights out, he can't score. Yes, the team plays differently when they feel like they can count on a goalie to make a save for them, and maybe that's having a negative effect.
At the same time, I'm sure the goalie is able to play a little better when he knows the team can score well enough to cover up a mistake. Imagine how tight he's gripping his stick knowing that letting in more 2+ goals is basically going to be too deep a hole to dig out of for the team in front of you.

All that being said, just play Vladar.
Part of the reason they are having trouble scoring is they have to play so defensively to protect Markstrom.

He got lots of goals support in the Oilers series and shat the bed there.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:28 PM   #151
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Pretty crazy only 18000 tonight. I don't think I've ever seen a Montreal/leafs game not sold out in calgary.
Go watch two uninspiring teams on a night with wind chills close to -40? No thanks!
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:28 PM   #152
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
No… markstrom is a liability. I call a spade a spade. He’s a straight liability.

People coming to defend this guy this season are out of it… this is a what have you done for me lately league.
We scored 1 goal!!! So Markstrom is expected to get a shutout so we could win?
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:28 PM   #153
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It’s because Flames fans straight up aren’t very good.

Don’t sell out the building.

Very quiet, maybe the quietest in the NHL considering attendance.

Boo the goalie who’s obviously fighting it.

Like Sutter says, the fans matter, a lot, and Calgarys crowd has been total horse#### for a couple years now. You know, while we are “calling a spade a spade”. The worst part is how arrogant people are about the crowd. There’s a reason they turned the volume up to level 3,000 to try and get the morgue going a bit. I think people legit think Flames fans are good or something, but they are like exactly the opposite. Coleman level crowd.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:30 PM   #154
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
While I agree to some degree, it’s hard to play with the lead when your goaltender hands the opponent a lead 15 seconds into the game.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:32 PM   #155
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If only we had a reliable backup because our number 1 goalie is clearly done.

What the hell is the matter with Sutter? Honest question. Because this stubbornness is going to cost us the season really soon.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:33 PM   #156
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I thought Weegar was great today.
easily their best defenseman tonight
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:33 PM   #157
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

Like Sutter says, the fans matter, a lot, and Calgarys crowd has been total horse#### for a couple years now. You know, while we are “calling a spade a spade”. The worst part is how arrogant people are about the crowd. There’s a reason they turned the volume up to level 3,000 to try and get the morgue going a bit. I think people legit think Flames fans are good or something, but they are like exactly the opposite. Coleman level crowd.

#### that.

Team is boring, can’t score

Goalie with an easy night makes 2 mental mistakes that hurt the team and lose the game

The millionaires should do their job and give the fans something to cheer for, and certainly to spend their hard earned money on
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:34 PM   #158
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Boring is the most annoying part for me.
Yeah seriously.

It's entertainment at the end of the day.

If you aren't winning they better be entertaining atleast.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:35 PM   #159
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

Or it’s -26 outside on a Thursday night. Do you really blame people for wanting to stay home?
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:35 PM   #160
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames fans are great, they aren’t as loud as other Canadian fan bases because they aren’t as dumb

They know this team isn’t worth blowing your budget for. The games are boring and the results are middling and they have seen this movie play out too many times
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote