Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2018, 02:07 AM   #141
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Oh come on, so Jiri has a different opinion than yours? Nothing wrong with that. He may look at some things a little differently than some of us do but the differing points of view and insight is what makes the forum unique and creates balance . As far as GG goes, Jiri has made no secret that the players need to be held accountable for their play. If I recall he is big on constancy and advocates long term management and coaching. It is somewhat disrespectful to question Jiri's hockey mind when your misrepresenting his initial intentions, or his perspective,
Advocating long term management and coaching is great if you have the right coach. Gulutzan wasnt that coach and Jiri (and maybe you) by that extension have a poor grasp on the game.

Different opinions arent a bad thing but it's better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

God do I wish I could dig up some old posts...
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:07 AM   #142
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This couldn't possibly be more on point right now. Just change "Eddie" for "Mikey":

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ck-bad-season/
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:19 AM   #143
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tank Commander Smith is ready for duty, he just needs his assignment. I heard the Rangers want this Hughes guy, they also got this Hank guy that probably doesn’t want to go through an entire rebuild at the latter part of his career. Just a thought.
Beninho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:56 AM   #144
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can somebody please find the thread when we accuired Mike Smith? Please post the link with the thread when Mike Smith come to Calgary
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:06 AM   #145
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll just leave this here...

Marc-Andre Fleury would have waived no-trade for the Flames

NEW YORK –#Marc-Andre Fleury#can admit now he was preparing for the possibility of becoming a Calgary Flame.

He’ll even go as far as to say that had Pittsburgh Penguins GM Jim Rutherford crafted a deal to send Fleury to the Flames at last season’s trade deadline(2017 trade deadline), the 31-year-old goaltender would have waived the no-trade clause he has in his contract.

“I think so,” said Fleury while in New York for league meetings.

“I think Calgary is a great town and a great hockey team too. I think they’ll be very good again this year."

What could have been.....

Last edited by TheOnlyBilko; 11-16-2018 at 04:08 AM.
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:19 AM   #146
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Advocating long term management and coaching is great if you have the right coach. Gulutzan wasnt that coach and Jiri (and maybe you) by that extension have a poor grasp on the game.

Different opinions arent a bad thing but it's better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

God do I wish I could dig up some old posts...
Trying to say "I told you so" a dozen different times and then not being able to gather evidence to prove your point does little.

Time to let it go man. Give it a rest.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 04:38 AM   #147
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Trying to say "I told you so" a dozen different times and then not being able to gather evidence to prove your point does little.

Time to let it go man. Give it a rest.
Have it your way and head up to Edmonton with Gulutzan not gonna miss you.

Let me go back through entire post histories and I'll be glad to show how Jiri is a poor contributor to this forum and if given the chance I'd do the same for you.

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 11-16-2018 at 04:42 AM.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:55 AM   #148
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have it your way and head up to Edmonton with Gulutzan not gonna miss you.

Let me go back through entire post histories and I'll be glad to show how Jiri is a poor contributor to this forum and if given the chance I'd do the same for you.
LOL, don't mix me up as a GG supporter. I wanted him gone XMas of 2016.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:00 AM   #149
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post

NEW YORK –#Marc-Andre Fleury#can admit now he was preparing for the possibility of becoming a Calgary Flame.

He’ll even go as far as to say that had Pittsburgh Penguins GM Jim Rutherford crafted a deal to send Fleury to the Flames at last season’s trade deadline(2017 trade deadline), the 31-year-old goaltender would have waived the no-trade clause he has in his contract.

“I think Calgary is a great town and a great hockey team too. I think they’ll be very good again this year."

I wonder what the Flames were sending back... hmm...
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:05 AM   #150
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
In this thread, almost everyone is talking about Mike Smith and goaltending while you side track into a vendetta against a poster.
Who is the poor contributor to this forum again?
Yes, we're all obviously passionate fans to be posting about our team in a forum but you are taking this too far by getting personal.

I agree with a few other posters who have pointed back to Smith's injury last year. Since then he has had a couple of good games, but a lot where he has let in soft goals that he would have had covered before.
Peters doesn't choose all of his players, so having a guy who has been a starting calibre goalie he had to try to play him into form. It is not working.
Now he needs to go to Rittich and run him as the starter.
Treliving is very limited in how he can address this situation now, but one would hope he is working the phones to find a fix.

Start Rittich, see how far the team goes on him, keep looking for a way to upgrade Smith, but waiving to minors is last resort. Burying him doesn't leave much cap room to address the position via trade and no one is breaking the door down in the AHL
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 05:39 AM   #151
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I can't believe that some people seriously consider Jiri a bad poster. Wow.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:54 AM   #152
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I can't believe that some people seriously consider Jiri a bad poster. Wow.
Says a lot actually.

I actually laughed out loud.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:56 AM   #153
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Oooo do me do me!

Or do something productive with your day and move on.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #154
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

In regards to the topic, I've said this before. The only trade I can possibly see is our problem child for someone else's.

Mike Smith for Jake Allen

Edit - Haynes on 960 right now to discuss this mess
- Haynes agrees with those of us that suggest this started last March. This isn't a few bad starts this season, this goes back to last year.

My take - sure there was a summer off in between those months, but thats even more concerning. He had 6 months off and its still this bad.

Last edited by Toonage; 11-16-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #155
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm willing to buy that he needs time to get his confidence and game back

But it's time he does that in practices because it's not working in games

Last edited by btimbit; 11-16-2018 at 09:01 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #156
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post

You've brought this up before and people have told you it would have cost the Flames Tkachuk. Would you have been ok with that? Because I sure wouldn't have.

Let it go. It would have been nice to get Fleury but not at that cost.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #157
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Peters is riding Smith, or at least was at the beginning because both Rittich and Smith could have been going through streaks and if you turn on smith and rittich doesn't work out, you're done.

The sample size is large enough at this point, Rittich is 5-1 with a sub2 GAA and a 9+ save percentage.
The sample size goes back to post-injury last year too. Mike Smith has been done for almost a year now. He hasn't put back to back decent games together in months. And Bill Peters lost us last night's game by trying.

It's time for the coach to accept reality: Mike Smith is not an NHL capable starting goaltender. The GM needs to see this as well, but I honestly don't know what Treliving could do right now. Nobody is going to take Smith off our hands, and acquiring another goalie at this point in the season is going to really hurt someone's development in the AHL since that's pretty much where you'd have to park Smith.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #158
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sorry but it's really not about how you defend and back up your views. Jiri was a huge defender of Gulutzan and Gully straight up sucked as a head coach. Most of this board could see it, but he was a backer. Jiri is not a strong mind for hockey and would be better if he posted less about it. Sort of how I dont generally post my opinion all too often about the game. A little silence would go a long ways.
Again you are misrepresenting my views
My point was that gully was getting too much of the blame and the players should be getting more. I never said he should be fire or not just that I didn’t think changing the coach would solve the issues
But basically your post amounts to “I don’t agree with you so that means you should post less”
That’s a remarkably immature and non inclusive stance to take
But at least we uncovered that’s what it is
Grow up and realize people can disagree with you and that’s ok
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #159
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
You've brought this up before and people have told you it would have cost the Flames Tkachuk. Would you have been ok with that? Because I sure wouldn't have.

Let it go. It would have been nice to get Fleury but not at that cost.
Um, read that again, sorry. 2017 deadline. Flames already had drafted Tkachuk by then.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #160
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Honestly I'd rather take a chance on Steve Mason. There's no way he'd be worse.
The Flames have roughly 3 million in cap space if they send Mike Smith down to the A.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote