Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2018, 10:14 PM   #141
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dont think so

Poster just came out today
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:17 PM   #142
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also and more related fof A4 spoilers

If you want an idea of whats involved the set photos that have come out do give some idea of certain things that may be involved
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:55 PM   #143
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Don’t we already have an Ant Man trailer? Or is that just a teaser?
I saw the AM&W trailer before IW. Looked pretty good to me.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:31 PM   #144
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I was geared up for this epic superhero movie with huge stakes and then they threw it all away with the ending by "killing" characters who I just know aren't really dead. Spider-Man and Black Panther? Seriously? They have, what, four more upcoming movies planned between the two of them?

The only time I felt any real emotional heft was when Tony was stabbed. I was thinking -- "man, he's gonna die, this is a huge moment..." -- and then he just didn't. If Tony or Cap or Thor or any of the original characters had died instead of the new guys, it would've been much more resonant to me, because, oh, maybe they're turning the page. Instead, I know it's all a fakeout, that these characters will be back.

That being said, I truly loved Josh Brolin's performance as Thanos. Paul Bettany did a good job as Vision, too, and I appreciated that his thing with Scarlet Witch was fleshed out in this one. Wanted to see more of Cap and his gang, but I figure that'll come in the next one. I sure hope Hawkeye comes back so they can truly reunite the full OG lineup, which would be totally rad.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #145
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I was geared up for this epic superhero movie with huge stakes and then they threw it all away with the ending by "killing" characters who I just know aren't really dead. Spider-Man and Black Panther? Seriously? They have, what, four more upcoming movies planned between the two of them?

The only time I felt any real emotional heft was when Tony was stabbed. I was thinking -- "man, he's gonna die, this is a huge moment..." -- and then he just didn't. If Tony or Cap or Thor or any of the original characters had died instead of the new guys, it would've been much more resonant to me, because, oh, maybe they're turning the page. Instead, I know it's all a fakeout, that these characters will be back.

That being said, I truly loved Josh Brolin's performance as Thanos. Paul Bettany did a good job as Vision, too, and I appreciated that his thing with Scarlet Witch was fleshed out in this one. Wanted to see more of Cap and his gang, but I figure that'll come in the next one. I sure hope Hawkeye comes back so they can truly reunite the full OG lineup, which would be totally rad.
It was deliberate to have all of the newer heroes disappear and be left with the original Avengers lineup to try and set things right, and it's probably safe to say that not all of them will make it through A4. And Hawkeye is already confirmed for A4, along with Ant-Man
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #146
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

You do realize its part one of two... even if they don't market that as such.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:43 PM   #147
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
You do realize its part one of two... even if they don't market that as such.
That an endorsement of his point not a rebuttle.

Tts a legitimate complaint that lowers the intensity of the ending by knowing there is a part 2. It was a marketing triumph to convince people (myself included) that Avengers 4 may not be entirely focused on the Infinity Gauntlet.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #148
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Thanos was just on a planet resting. They even had the scarecrow wearing his armour.
Which is a pretty awesome callback/easter egg to how the Infinity War comics begin:

https://screenrant.com/avengers-infi...s-farm-ending/
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #149
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you go into any comic book media expecting any death to last you will be disappointed, Marvels long term view of continuity almost certainly means they will leave an out to reintroduce a character anywhere they can.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #150
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

That was really enjoyable.

Infinity Gauntlet was the first Trade Paper Back comic I ever owned and I still love it. The movie touched on all the things I loved about the TPB and the new elements that tied all the MCU movies together were fantastic.

Thanos stole the film for me. IMO he's the best comic movie villain we've seen, only because he had the a great backstory. Ledger's Joker iss amazing for the acting but I never figured out his motivation.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #151
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
That was really enjoyable.

Infinity Gauntlet was the first Trade Paper Back comic I ever owned and I still love it. The movie touched on all the things I loved about the TPB and the new elements that tied all the MCU movies together were fantastic.

Thanos stole the film for me. IMO he's the best comic movie villain we've seen, only because he had the a great backstory. Ledger's Joker iss amazing for the acting but I never figured out his motivation.
You weren’t supposed to figure out Joker’s motivation.

OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2018, 11:48 PM   #152
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

If we're talking best comic book villains, there's some competition:

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #153
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
You weren’t supposed to figure out Joker’s motivation.
I think that's why he was tougher to like as a villain. He was a force of nature without a levels of personality. Don't get me wrong, he was great. I just liked Thanos better.

Magneto has been great too. Both Fassbender and McKellen. Though like the comics, he's a bit of a rollercoaster in how his personality is portrayed. One moment he's a genocidal maniac, the next he's teaching kids. Though you could say the same about Wolverine I guess.

Last edited by KTrain; 05-02-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #154
Torch
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Xmen series sucked hated them. 1st villain-Magneto, 2nd villain-magneto,3rd villain-Magneto with Phoenix, 4th villain-Sebastion Shaw and Magneto, 5th villain-Trask then Magneto, 6th villain-Apocalypse and Magneto as a Horseman. I cant wait for Marvel to have this property back. Singer has ruined the Xmen.
Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #155
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that's why he was tougher to like as a villain. He was a force of nature without a levels of personality. Don't get me wrong, he was great. I just liked Thanos better.

Magneto has been great too. Both Fassbender and McKellen. Though like the comics, he's a bit of a rollercoaster in how his personality is portrayed. One moment he's a genocidal maniac, the next he's teaching kids. Though you could say the same about Wolverine I guess.
I think the Joker works precisely because he follows his motivation which is chaos. He doesn't break that character for Power, loyalty, love, etc. Good Villains actions flow from underlying character traits/flaws that they remain true to that informs their actions. There actions need to make sense given their goals and time needs to be spent developing why these traits and goals make sense.

Its tough to put screen time into developing these characters when you kill them at the end of the movie. So that's where Marvel having a fully introduced roster is able to spend time on Villains.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #156
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think the Joker works precisely because he follows his motivation which is chaos. He doesn't break that character for Power, loyalty, love, etc. Good Villains actions flow from underlying character traits/flaws that they remain true to that informs their actions. There actions need to make sense given their goals and time needs to be spent developing why these traits and goals make sense.

Its tough to put screen time into developing these characters when you kill them at the end of the movie. So that's where Marvel having a fully introduced roster is able to spend time on Villains.
The fun of the joker wasn't in figuring out his motivation as much as figuring out how a person would become such an agent of chaos.

What would make a person flip like that.

Beyond the fact that he classified himself as a dog chasing a car, he was really the only guy involved that was a meticulous planner.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #157
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Finally saw it last night - didn't feel bad when so many characters died, as surely most of them will come back (for one reason - each Marvel movie makes $1 Billion +). I thought Tony would be the one to die, as I thought RDJ wanted out of the franchise.

Black Panther can't die, but T'Challa can. Another can take the mantle (Shuri?) until he is resurrected.

I think this was the best Marvel movie so far - before I talk about my favorite moments, here are my burning questions:

I'm not sure they succeeded in humanizing Thanos. If his real objective was to overcome Malthusian theory, there has to be other alternatives that are better than murdering half the sentient beings in the universe. Assuming his power is near infinite, could he not:

Create more resources, or new universes.
Enforce a population cap (by law or by biological means) - mothers can only only have one child each.
Enforce strict environmental laws.

In a vast universe are there not more powerful aliens and gods that could oppose him? Why is it most of his opponents are from Earth? Wouldn't Thanos also know the 14 million possible time streams, and realize what Strange is up to?

Last edited by troutman; 05-02-2018 at 09:37 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #158
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

One thing the comic touches on, and this isn't a spoiler or "book talk" really, is that the Gauntlet is only as powerful/useful as the mind of the person using it. If the person isn't imaginative or creative they're still limited in their ability to wield the Gauntlet.

So if Thanos has had this single-minded purpose of killing half the universe to set things in balance, that's what he's going to do.

He's obviously not right in the head if killing half the universe is even an option for him. So trying to suggest would want a single-child law across the universe is ridiculous.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 10:19 AM   #159
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
One thing the comic touches on, and this isn't a spoiler or "book talk" really, is that the Gauntlet is only as powerful/useful as the mind of the person using it. If the person isn't imaginative or creative they're still limited in their ability to wield the Gauntlet.

So if Thanos has had this single-minded purpose of killing half the universe to set things in balance, that's what he's going to do.

He's obviously not right in the head if killing half the universe is even an option for him. So trying to suggest would want a single-child law across the universe is ridiculous.
Yeah, that's exactly it, he's the "Mad" Titan. As much as he is presented as logical and calculating he also likes to do things in ways that create as much suffering as possible. The way he treated his daughters was horrific, but that was his version of love. The way he killed the other dwarves and destroyed Eltri's hands was totally unnecessary to his goal. Despite the fact that Thanos is the star of the film, he's still downright evil.

The comics use of lady death does add another layer to his character. Despite making him subservient, it provides another level of "logic" to his motivations. But once again, I don't think her character would have worked on screen.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2018, 10:57 AM   #160
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Finally saw it last night - didn't feel bad when so many characters died, as surely most of them will come back (for one reason - each Marvel movie makes $1 Billion +). I thought Tony would be the one to die, as I thought RDJ wanted out of the franchise.

Black Panther can't die, but T'Challa can. Another can take the mantle (Shuri?) until he is resurrected.

I think this was the best Marvel movie so far - before I talk about my favorite moments, here are my burning questions:

I'm not sure they succeeded in humanizing Thanos. If his real objective was to overcome Malthusian theory, there has to be other alternatives that are better than murdering half the sentient beings in the universe. Assuming his power is near infinite, could he not:

Create more resources, or new universes.
Enforce a population cap (by law or by biological means) - mothers can only only have one child each.
Enforce strict environmental laws.

In a vast universe are there not more powerful aliens and gods that could oppose him? Why is it most of his opponents are from Earth? Wouldn't Thanos also know the 14 million possible time streams, and realize what Strange is up to?
Really he just needs to use the gauntlet to implement a Carbon Tax. All of the universes problems would be solved.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:

Tags
avengers , rabbit , spoilers , thanos