Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #141
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wish the flames won last night. I don't even care about the oilers anymore this season. Actually hope they start stringing some wins to get closer to the 10th overall pick, not tonight of course.

I'm back to wondering what Bennett is. He and his linemates have gone quiet again. Prior to that, they were generating tons of chances but very little to show for it.

Lack of a pp and depth offense issues are back plaguing this team again....

Hope tonight is a good flames game with them figuring out how to score again.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #142
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
The Oilers last season were not essentially an AHL squad like they are this year. However, if they had managed to win some of those games, they might not have had to face the Ducks and suffered a much different fate than a 4-0 sweep in round #1. Games like this really do matter, especially now, since the 2018 Oilers are stains in the toilet bowl.
Of course, tonight's game matters. And I have never suggested anything different. But where I beg to differ is in the rather extreme and inflammatory rhetoric that somehow this ONE, individual game carries with it the Flames entire playoff expectations. Such is utter nonsense, and I am sure you understand why.

Quote:
Clinging to some flawed logic that this result tonight is meaningless is nothing more than severe hometown bias.
Again, I never said tonight's game is MEANINGLESS. My contention is that it is just as MEANINGFUL as most other games at this point of this season. I don't get why you would classify that as a "hometown bias," since it is actually an imminently rational response, and quite counter to the extremely emotive and reactionary belief that the results of this SINGLE game will determine the entire rest of the season.

Quote:
Four consecutive ho-hum efforts, with all but one game against a team you can consider to be playing at a high level would be beyond crushing for a team coming off of what should have been a significant turning point. If the Flames can muster their best effort at this stage of the season, they quite simply do not have what it takes to be a playoff team in my eyes. It's about the character of the team at this point, much more than it will ever be about the 2 points.
This is clearly the problem. I think your eyes are so counter-intuitively fixated on this single result that you cannot process the value of it accordingly with respect to a full 82-game season. You can continue to pontificate about how players will feel with a loss, how it will affect them down the road, and what it somehow means with regards to their quality as a playoff team. But in the end these remain your imaginations.

The Flames could get blown out tonight, and then go on another tear to win nine straight. This could happen because it DOES happen. That does not mean the it will happen, but it sure as hell does not also mean that a loss is the proverbial and of their season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:08 PM   #143
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh man, are we going to have to listen to Remenda and Quinn tonight because it's in Edmonton?
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #144
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Oh man, are we going to have to listen to Remenda and Quinn tonight because it's in Edmonton?
Yeah and Principe

"So Johnny, the flames are up 3-0 in the first period and you've scored on all three goals. Did you look up to Connor McDavid when you were growing up?"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #145
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
How the Flames can exploit the 3rd guy high in the Oilers PK

The Oilers employ a "one F high, three low" strategy on their penalty kill. On paper it should work well - the aim is to funnel the puck to the outside as much as possible and prevent high danger scoring chances from inside the slot. One forward pressures while the other shrinks back to protect the slot, and they switch spots when the puck moves to their end of the ice.

The problem is, your PKing forwards need to be fast(yes), and have good enough defensive acumen (hell no) to recognize when to switch spots. If they fail to do so, which happens fairly often because they're the Oilers, an entire side of the ice opens up.

It's bad enough for them that Tenderness has lost his stick here (effectively making him close to useless in this role), but Khaira also doesn't even start moving his feet until the puck is already in motion. Once he does that, the slot opens up.

Last night, Eichel was able to use this to his advantage. He baited Kassian to overcommit to him and get it to Ristolainen with all the time in the world, leaving Letestu in no-man's-land acting as nothing more than a screen as the puck squirts past Talbot. If Ristolainen felt that he didn't have a good shot, Reinhart was wide open as well.

Later that game, Ristolainen returns the favor and dishes to Eichel for a nicely sniped goal with plenty of time for a look... while The Tenderness has no clue what to do, Pakarinen overcommits as usual, and Nurse is in no-man's-land screening his goalie.

Once in a while, both forwards just completely lose their #### and BOTH overcommit, turning a 5 on 4 into a 5 on 2, and this happens. Immensely satisfying to see who the culprits were.

How are you not on the Flames staff yet? You seem infinitely more qualified to breakdown opposition strategy and make appropriate adjustments than Cameron ever will. Great stuff.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #146
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping whoever this is is on here. You're my hero
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #147
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow....that takes commitment to the bit. Kudos good sir.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #148
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Wow....that takes commitment to the bit. Kudos good sir.
The stink eye this legend was getting was getting were great. This was a man that gave no ####s - and a weird 80s mural should be painted in this mall in his honour.
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #149
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
The stink eye this legend was getting was getting were great. This was a man that gave no ####s - and a weird 80s mural should be painted in this mall in his honour.
But, the real question remains: Under that glorious upper-garment was there a mustard-stained wife-beater?

And I will whole-heartedly forgive him for ensuring that his wife or girlfriend did not have bruised legs. I appreciate commitment to the cause, but only so far.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #150
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
But, the real question remains: Under that glorious upper-garment was there a mustard-stained wife-beater?

And I will whole-heartedly forgive him for ensuring that his wife or girlfriend did not have bruised legs. I appreciate commitment to the cause, but only so far.
I just choked on my juice. Hopefully none of the mullets around here have any questions
Old 01-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #151
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
How are you not on the Flames staff yet? You seem infinitely more qualified to breakdown opposition strategy and make appropriate adjustments than Cameron ever will. Great stuff.
Thanks, I just watch video sometimes. In this case I was very curious as to how the Oilers home PK was so astronomically bad.

I'd like to think of it as... if I can notice it, hopefully someone on the Flames watching tape can too. Our powerplay really makes me have doubts at times though.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #152
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers legendarily bad PK versus our "powerplay"...

Who will come out the winner?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #153
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

First time betting last night and lost 150 on the Flames
Put 250 on them tonight, if they don't win, I'm sorry and I'll never bet again.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #154
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I am perplexed how a team that has a clear 12 point lead over the other plays so timid. So much so the local board has (justified) anxiety all over it. I would understand if this was the Ducks, as they ice good teams each year.

Yes this team causing so much anxiety is in danger of sliding into 28th place by the weekend.

Just totally perplexes me.
I think it's the McDavid factor that makes them timid and hesitant. He always gets up for us so much, I hate it. Always trying his 3/4 of the rink launches up the middle of the ice for a do it himself goal, the Flames look terrified about it. Just be yourselves and stop worrying about that clown. There's a reason they're hanging out by the bottom of the standings.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:39 PM   #155
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

The result of this game is the difference between happy to get points in the last 11 games or the troubling aspect of losing 4 games in a row, and 2 to the toilet teams in the league.

Guy Charron coached this team for only 16 games in 1992 but even he got 3 out of 4 possible points vs the Oilers those games. GG has 1 point from a possible 12 against the Oilers. That has to change tonight.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #156
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I think it's the McDavid factor that makes them timid and hesitant. He always gets up for us so much, I hate it. Always trying his 3/4 of the rink launches up the middle of the ice for a do it himself goal, the Flames look terrified about it. Just be yourselves and stop worrying about that clown. There's a reason they're hanging out by the bottom of the standings.
The first game yes...not in the last one though

Oilers just got every conceivable break that night
Old 01-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #157
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

You're telling me they didn't shoot the puck through Gio's skate on purpose?
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #158
smoothskatingbrodie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Going to the game tonight... not sure if it would be better to stay home and watch it instead. At least then if the flames play like garbage I can turn it off and do something else
smoothskatingbrodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #159
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is not ok to lose to the Oilers
Old 01-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #160
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Win. Anything else is unacceptable
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greasers , oilers are no good , please don’t lose , please just win , rittich ftw