Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #141
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If I'm reading some comments here correctly it seems there are people suggesting that Jagr be given time to heal and then come back.

He isn't coming back. Its over, unfortunately. Jagr will not play for the Flames again.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #142
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think jagr wants to go sonewhere to get in enough games to break howes record.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #143
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
If I'm reading some comments here correctly it seems there are people suggesting that Jagr be given time to heal and then come back.

He isn't coming back. Its over, unfortunately. Jagr will not play for the Flames again.
You know this for a fact?
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 10:02 AM   #144
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Not having a training camp and signing during the season didn't help. I would think it factored into his groin injuries he has been dealing with.
Exactly this. But would have been hard for the team to go out and sign him before Bennett getting a deal.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:06 AM   #145
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
You know this for a fact?
Eric Duhatschek
Chris Johnston
Bob McKenzie
Elliotte Friedman

All stating the Flames & Jagr are working on an agreement to part ways.
Jagr no longer skating or practicing with the team, also according to those sources .
And Friedman last night actually saying Jagr has played his last game with the Flames.

What more do you want?

Last edited by Toonage; 01-07-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #146
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Eric Duhatschek
Chris Johnson
Bob McKenzie
Elliotte Friedman

All stating the Flames & Jagr are working on an agreement to part ways.
Jagr no longer skating or practicing with the team, also according to those sources .
And Friedman last night actually saying Jagr has played his last game with the Flames.

What more do you want?
All 'alleging' he is done with the Flames. And he isn't skating because he's injured.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #147
Toonage

Exp:

Fine, cling all you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #148
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Fine, cling all you want.
Fine, get bent out of shape over nothing.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #149
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like he is done. Too bad. Be best for both parties to make it official with an announcement.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #150
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

As much as I would like to see Jagr stick around, get fit, and contribute, I feel the fit isn't there with the team.
What he may have indirectly helped with though:
Pressure on Ferland for top line RW, makes him raise his game
Helping teach Tkachuk how to be more effective with his body position on the cycle
Helping Bennett bounce back into form

In the end, with how Hathway and Mangiapane have looked, they can now fit as the 9th and 10th forwards. (You could also credit Jagr with forcing the guys to play into call ups). Then one of Stajan or Lazar centres 4th line. Only real spot for Jagr is 4th line RW, between him, Brouwer and Lazar. And while Jagr has been better than Brouwer, it's a lot harder contact wise to move on from Brouwer.

If he's going to shut it down, then try to come back and contribute, that would be great. But if he wants assurances he will get games, that is no longer the case on this team, barring (touch wood) a major injury crisis.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #151
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Honestly, I don’t see why they don’t allow him to stay with the team. Heal up and continue to practice with the club. Get some game reps here and there to get him as close to game speed as possible and if they make the playoffs, he could prove to be quite valuable.

I was against bringing Jagr in. Drank the Kool-aid after he was signed as so many people knew better on CP than the few who were brave enough to voice their opinion on Jagr being a mistake if it were to happen... now here we are.

May as well keep him around.. what’s it going to hurt?
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #152
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole experience has been a lot of fun. The start of the rumors and waiting to see if he will or won't. The day of the press conference where he slides right in after a long fight with humor, excitement, and a huge smile as he puts on the Flaming C. His personality affected all parts of the team and the news, and him surprising the Travelling Jagrs during an intermission was all kinds of awesome.

Then there was the first game, and the Dome went wild. Then there was the first goal, and the Dome went wild.

I'm personally disappointed because I usually make it to only one or two games a season and I really wanted to see him play live. He was out injured when they played Washington, and it looks he will be long gone by the time they host Tampa Bay in February.

If it was workable for all involved I would love if he could maintain a roster spot and be squeezed in here and there, all for the purpose of him staying active with the team and sharing his knowledge and experience with all the youth making their way up. I think guys like Bennett and Jankowski could be the ones most to benefit.

Either way, it was really cool and fun. If it doesn't work out then best of luck to Jagr finding a better way to end his career.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #153
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Honestly, I don’t see why they don’t allow him to stay with the team. Heal up and continue to practice with the club. Get some game reps here and there to get him as close to game speed as possible and if they make the playoffs, he could prove to be quite valuable.

I was against bringing Jagr in. Drank the Kool-aid after he was signed as so many people knew better on CP than the few who were brave enough to voice their opinion on Jagr being a mistake if it were to happen... now here we are.

On your first point, I'm not sure it's all the Flames decision to end things.

It's funny, I was against him signing because I feared he was done. Then when he signed I was excited because of the fun of it. But overall, it just hasn't panned out and I see nothing to suggest he might be useful down the road. Keeping him around takes up a contract spot (and a roster spot unless he's on IR).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:31 PM   #154
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regardless of how it plays out, I have enjoyed the experience. And I believe the team has benefited from his presence, which makes it worthwhile.

I am in the camp that wishes he would continue with the team. I think that, once healthy and in shape, he can contribute. And in the meantime, his presence helps the kids.

But if it's over, it's another roster spot for the kids.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #155
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

If true, poor calgaryboy.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #156
calgaryboy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
If true, poor calgaryboy.
I am still ecstatic about coming to CGY. 68 was supposed to be a cherry on top, nobody would guess it will end like that...that ´s life. I will see my beloved Flames again and that is all that matters, along with many of you guys, from this wonderful community! Cannot wait!
calgaryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #157
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

My inner child hasn't been this depressed since they gave Fleury his comeback shot and then dropped him after pre-season where he scored that penalty shot against the Oilers.

I'm so depressed today at this news.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #158
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Pittsburgh going back to Lemieux have really picked good times to tank.

True. Landing Crosby was luck though. On a side note you a Raider fan?
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #159
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post

Yeah I think Jagr maybe wants out too. Whether it’s his pride over his play, or wants a shot with another team who will play him more. I obviously don’t know but those reporters aren’t likely making all this up.

Honestly I am happy for Flames to truly commit to the younger players. I see no downside at all.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #160
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
My inner child hasn't been this depressed since they gave Fleury his comeback shot and then dropped him after pre-season where he scored that penalty shot against the Oilers.

I'm so depressed today at this news.
It was (a) a shootout goal (b) against the Isles and (c) they dropped him later in the preseason, not right after the game.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post: