Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #141
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
Its super annoying when you go back to the LA game and he makes a decent play to get open for the winner and everyone says afterwards "what a player" or something along those lines.
I wasn't going to crap all over the win that day but this comment was exactly what I wanted to say. People love em when they win, and people hate them when they lose, but Monahan could pot a hat trick and I would still strongly dislike his game. You know that hypothetical hat trick would come from point blank shots in the slot off a rebound or a Johnny pass.
The guy creates nothing and its extremely difficult to accept the fact that he never will.
While I agree with you here, the fact of the matter is that Monohan still is clutch at critical / key times, and he is able to convert.

Monohan can score, and he is usually in the right position to score. So yea while he doesn't generate anything and on nights like tonight gets exposed, we still desperately need his clutch factor and scoring ability.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:43 PM   #142
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hurricane's skated our asses into the ground. It's simple as that folks. They used their speed and forechecked the hell out of our entire team.

Sam Bennett looks like he hates hockey. It's way overdue for him to be moved over to the wing. He won't have to focus so much on defense or drive the offense for the line. It's obvious to the fans and even most media.

This team is lucky - very lucky to be 4-3 right now. They have been absolutely listless since game one. It's time to have some guts and make a bold move here Brad/Glen. Somebody has to go down and somebody has to come up.

Last edited by Racki; 10-19-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #143
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

MFW I see people calling for Gulutzan's head:

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #144
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I love when people give the 4th line a pass to be crappy just because they aren't expected to be superstars.

You can't have a successful 82 game season with 2 lines providing all the offense. What is the identity of that 4th line? Is it energy? If it is, they don't seem to do that, ever. They don't look like they are skating very hard in all directions, they don't look like they're hitting or mucking it up, they don't ever fight. Okay, so are they scoring? No.

So we are just okay with sending 25% of our forward group out there and not expecting ANY results?? Why the free pass all the time? There should be expectations for the 4th line, and it should be somewhere less than leading the team in scoring for sure, but somewhere above 'all we need you to do is wear this uniform'.
Yeah the fourth line isn't where you bury your whoops contracts and let you tough guy PTOs off the leash. The fourth lines are for your cheap young, hungry up and comers or bargain bin vets. Both have something to prove.

If your forth line is making a combined 10 million and is getting run over on possession your team might be in some trouble. Good teams don't waste 10 million in cap space on a fourth line that is below replacement level at 4x the cost.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #145
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flames drop from 21st in GF/PG to 23rd in GF/PG.

Losing Versteeg hurts this roster badly.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #146
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Yep all Gulutzan

Does Gulutzan get any credit with you? Good grief. Flames have been playing like this long before Gulutzan got here.
Mike Keenan gets no credit either, why should Gulutzan? First round exits for both and that's about it. Let's look at this fairly, the team has loaded up for a playoff run on paper.

Boudreau was the coach they should have hired.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:47 PM   #147
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Is that actually a real stat? I honestly have no idea.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #148
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

they lost him for a period
Old 10-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #149
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

A part of me thinks its early and this team has been perrenial slow starters you know we are over .500 and Smith has been great.....but....... in my gut i just know something isnt quite right. The top line, even though gettinv points, is flat and lazy in their own zone. The 3rd and 4th lines are offensive black holes. The D have been cheating and losing assignments. There is a lack of urgency and intensity throughout the lineup and a most of the penalties taken are because they arent moving their feet or lost an assignment.

I think we need to remember this is a team that management has put all the chips in on and we are 100% justified and warrated in discussing any and all areas that need to improve.

Also just call Janko up already. Make room for him if he needs to be in the top 9.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 10-19-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #150
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:

In theory. I feel like Versteeg has been invisible, even moreso than Bennett, even strength.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #151
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Mike Keenan gets no credit either, why should Gulutzan? First round exits for both and that's about it. Let's look at this fairly, the team has loaded up for a playoff run on paper.

How do you or I have any inkling that Boudreau was interested in coming here?

On an unrelated note, the Flames totally should have drafted Nikita Kucherov instead of Tyler Wotherspoon.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #152
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post

Wild have a pretty solid team on paper...how did they do?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #153
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from the game.

The good: Jagr played well. Smith continues to be the best player on the team. Monahan's release in the slot is great.

The bad: Dicipline few teams can take 6 penalties in a game and win. Also, Ferland was horrible, lots of giveaways and zero offence. The over all effort was uninspired. I almost forgot when the Flames got chances in the zone they were too cute with it. When an offence is struggling, keep it simple!

The Hurricanes were the better team. Their defence guarded the bluelines well. They scored on their opritunities and their feet were moving all night.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 10-19-2017 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Grammar
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #154
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Steinberg is clueless
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #155
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

While were on the topic of coaching, does GG say anything during the game? Rarely ever shows any intensity on the bench. I understand that sometimes you have to keep an even keel as a coach but my god get fired up. Way to many times we see this team sleep walking, disinterested and not at all engaged, and I feel like they've adopted that trait from the coach.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #156
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

[Double post

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 10-19-2017 at 11:14 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:54 PM   #157
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
While I agree with you here, the fact of the matter is that Monohan still is clutch at critical / key times, and he is able to convert.

Monohan can score, and he is usually in the right position to score. So yea while he doesn't generate anything and on nights like tonight gets exposed, we still desperately need his clutch factor and scoring ability.
Don't want to be overly negative as it's only one game but Monahan is really starting to nag at me, he's almost the definition of a one dimensional scorer. Can you honestly see a championship team being led by Monahan as the number 1 center? Tough one.

Just look at the centers that have drive their teams to a cup: Kopitar, Bergeron, Toews, Crosby, Staal.

It's a criticism you could apply to many teams but still doesn't take that nagging feeling away.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 10:56 PM   #158
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
they lost him for a period
and scored one goal in the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
In theory. I feel like Versteeg has been invisible, even moreso than Bennett, even strength.
I agree, looks like the magic has worn off.

Tough when a guy relegated from Europe is one of your higher skilled players.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:57 PM   #159
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was a game to forget.

Ferland has been very disappointing for me this season. Couldn't create anything on the top line, and has brought very little energy elsewhere in the line-up.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:57 PM   #160
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Steinberg is clueless
What's he saying?
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote