Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #141
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I actually don't blame the NHL and the owners here. They only get an intangible "eyes on the sport" for two weeks every four years. They have to take a two week break, something no other sport does, have to pay all the costs, get no tangible association with the Olympics etc.

I enjoy the Olympic hockey but there very little real measurable benefit for the NHL here and the IOC obviously don't care so why would the NHL bend over when they are simultaneously trying to build their own international best on best tourney?

It sucks we, as fans, get screwed here too but we are just collateral damage. The NHL isn't trying to screw us, they just aren't going to make bad business decisions to placate us.

Even then hockey is just a blip in the winter olympics program. Figure Skating is the marque event worldwide.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #142
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm OK with that as long as every one of the elite hockey countries send in their amateur squads with no NHL pro hockey players. It should've been like this forever. I kind of got tired of watching NHL playoff style hockey in the Olympics where the only teams winning are the same old teams - Canada, US, Russia, Sweden, and Finland. Let the young kids have their glory every 4 years. Some of them might not even see a Stanley Cup ever in their career. So, let the best of the amateurs have their moments and if they ever become pros, they'll have their moments of fame and money.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #143
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

The WJC should be now and should always have been moved to February in Olympic years. Be fantastic Olympic hockey.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #144
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty indifferent to this decision. I'm old enough to remember no NHL players at the Olympics, so this decision just isn't really bothering me. If anything, this could potentially increase how much we care about the potential World Cup. Back in 87 and 96, the Canada Cup and World Cup I remember and cared about the most, there was no other best on best so I was clamoring for it with those tournaments

Also, as long as the Flames are going well, I don't actually love the break in the NHL season during Olympic years.

Tweak and improve the WC format and cadence, and I will be fine with the NHL not going back to the Olympics ever, and I'll still enjoy the Olympics just as much as I do now.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #145
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So whats the alternative then? Bunch of WJ players or those pushed out of the nhl ie Glenx et al??
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #146
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Agreed, and the world Cup will never be as good or have the same prestige.

The Canada Cup was way better than ANY Olympics ever played.

It could easily be that again as long as the NHL stays away from Olympic participation for any real length of time.

Its unfortunate that this has taken place, but considering the ridiculous stance the IOC/IIHF have had towards the NHL, easy decision for them.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #147
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I wonder is a single American (who didn't play in it) could tell you what the Canada Cup was.
It was prime time programming on ESPN.

So the millions of hockey fans certainly could tell you.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #148
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yah but if the IIHF and IOC says they will welcome players that still come, teams won't want to be punished by the league if some of their players still go.

Thus it will be up to the teams.
Yah, I don't think the NHL would even allow that. You either let them go in the first place, or impose consistent suspensions as a collective group for all teams to those who go without your permission. Can you imagine a cup contender team losing 10 of their top players to the Olympics for 2 weeks? Like the NHL would ever let that happen.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #149
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I wonder is a single American (who didn't play in it) could tell you what the Canada Cup was.
Why should I care?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #150
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I barely cared about Olympic hockey with NHL players, so this makes it all the more "meh" to me.

I'm on the side of the NHL in this case. The IOC and the NHLPA did nothing to make this worthwhile for the NHL, so why do it?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #151
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am just not an Olympic hockey fan.

Calgary playoff rounds >>> Canadian Olympic games
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #152
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bettman's job is to make the owners and NHL money. The Olympics doesn't directly do that. The World Cup does.

They hope that the World Cup shifts the control of the best international play from the Olympics to the NHL. Therefore, the NHL can make lots of money.

I, on the other hand, feel that the Olympics have such a rich history and winning it means a lot more to the players than winning the "World Cup", a tournament invented by the NHL.

I'm not going to watch any of the World Cup. It's such a gimmick. The players didn't even want to pass around the trophy.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #153
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I'm pretty indifferent to this decision. I'm old enough to remember no NHL players at the Olympics, so this decision just isn't really bothering me. If anything, this could potentially increase how much we care about the potential World Cup. Back in 87 and 96, the Canada Cup and World Cup I remember and cared about the most, there was no other best on best so I was clamoring for it with those tournaments

Also, as long as the Flames are going well, I don't actually love the break in the NHL season during Olympic years.

Tweak and improve the WC format and cadence, and I will be fine with the NHL not going back to the Olympics ever, and I'll still enjoy the Olympics just as much as I do now.
You didn't care about the 1991 Canada Cup?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #154
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

2010 gold metal game was the most watched television event broadcast in Canadian history, so a few people must be interested.

https://www.nhl.com/news/olympic-fin...years/c-519476

2014 almost as many viewers
https://sec.theglobeandmail.com/spor...8/?service=amp
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #155
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
Bettman's job is to make the owners and NHL money. The Olympics doesn't directly do that. The World Cup does.

They hope that the World Cup shifts the control of the best international play from the Olympics to the NHL. Therefore, the NHL can make lots of money.

I, on the other hand, feel that the Olympics have such a rich history and winning it means a lot more to the players than winning the "World Cup", a tournament invented by the NHL.

I'm not going to watch any of the World Cup. It's such a gimmick. The players didn't even want to pass around the trophy.

There have been 22 Winter Olympic games contested.

The NHL has been part of 5 of them.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #156
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
It was prime time programming on ESPN.

So the millions of hockey fans certainly could tell you.
In fairness to Polak, I am not sure he was even a twinkle in his dad's eye at the time of the last Canada Cup (91)

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:36 PM   #157
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post

'96 was not the Canada Cup.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #158
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
'96 was not the Canada Cup.

Same thing...different name.

Thats whats kind of humorous here. The NHL has been to 5 Olympic games and people are freaking out that its so much better than the Canada/World Cup.

The NHL was involved in 5 Canada/World Cups.

1987 CC was the best hockey I think that ever has been and ever will be played.

The 1996 iteration was terrible...but that was due to the fact that everyone knew there would be NHL representation going to Nagano which changed everything.

Now we have come full circle and I would expect to see the World Cup to once again become the huge tournament of best on best it once was...but it wont happen right away.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #159
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
In fairness to Polak, I am not sure he was even a twinkle in his dad's eye at the time of the last Canada Cup (91)
I was 37.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #160
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to admit that the number of posters on this board who say they don't care about Olympic hockey/ or the somewhat contrived cup is moderately shocking to me.

To me, the Olympics is awesome because it is best on best, last fall's World Cup a little less so.

The Olympics was great when it was in Salt Lake City and Vancouver because of the time, it was not as much fun getting up at 4am to watch from Russia, though.