Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2015, 10:13 PM   #141
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Judging by the way this team has played defense, it seems like the have the confidence that their goalies will stop everything.

Some goals and some games are on the goalies. Nights like this - they're on the team.
I can't believe people are still defending goaltending. Do you guys (not specifically just you) watch highlights? Did you see Jake Allen make 3 saves in one sequence he had no business making? Teams are going to get scoring chances, and good ones. When every one ends up in the back of your net, its the goalies fault. Oh it was a close slapshot, oh it was a cross ice pass, oh it was a 2 on 1.

Hard to excuse those save percentages.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 10:14 PM   #142
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I just wish the draft lottery rules didn't change this season.
The Flames never do anything the easy way. Ever. It's so Calgary Flames to overachieve on a season where they were supposed to be in the running for a generational talent only to revert the following season to the team that everyone thought they would be. To make things even worse the do it in a season where the lottery rules make it harder for bottom feeders to get the first overall pick.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #143
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan is really struggling right now, which hurts to watch. Not sure if it's because of his wingers (Hudler is also really bad), but it's a struggle for him. Neither Monahan nor Hudler get anything going without Gaudreau. Bennett and Gaudreau are the only two forwards who can really generate offense.

Some praise for Jooris. Gaudreau, Bennett and Jooris are the only Flames forwards who have any real tenacity on the forecheck.

We need a goalie that can make a save at a key time. The only time I can think of one our goalies making a save we "needed", was when Hiller robbed McDavid. Outside of that, what should go in - goes in. What shouldn't go in, goes in. It's hard to win at the NHL level when your goalie isn't one of your best players.

Defensively, Wideman was atrocious but so were our forwards. We need to win more defensive board battles.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #144
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
List of things to do in the AM:

1) Not watch Sportscentre.
2) Drop Flames goalies in fantasy league.
3) Cancel Centre Ice Package.

I was thinking tonight how glad I was I didn't get the sports package this year.

The Wideman we had last year was some imposter, this is the real Wideman.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #145
VERVE
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flames got a real competitive and very talented player in Bennett. Channel surfing and caught the play where Bennett did a nice move on Duchene behind the net. He sure has confidence and plays hard dominating plays whenever he is on the ice. Mistakes will be made at any level but Bennett and company can certainly do damage as they mature. This kid's got game.

—Richard Lewis

Last edited by VERVE; 11-03-2015 at 10:20 PM. Reason: correct spelling before textc does
VERVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:16 PM   #146
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Scrivens is still under contract with the Oilers, he's in the AHL right now.
D'oh... Leland Irving it is!

(His stats in the AHL are actually not bad... 1.96 GAA and 0.939 save % in five games)
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #147
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, with McDavid injured "long term" we'll be racing the Oil to the bottom at this rate....

(I hope that really IS sarcasm.....)

Quite happy with Hamilton tonight - he seems to be getting his poop in a group and I thought he played well. A couple of good rushes, a few mistakes, but much less in the turnover mode.

Bennett is really coming along - so happy to see his development - he has a fire in his belly and it seems to be growing.

Johnny? Still Johnny. Great.

On the negative side....way to many "meh" players. Stats show Flames with no Giveaways - can't quite figure that out as I saw quite a few. And the blocked shots on Colorado seem a bit....generous.

Didn't like a few of the goals on us - too far out and totally exploiting Ramo's poor side-to-side movement. That guy needs a coach who can push him hard Not sure that's happening. Maybe he just doesn't think the game well. Sigh.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #148
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Have you ever won a hockey pool?
A few times... My plan backfired big time this year though.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:20 PM   #149
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
He'll be an anchor in 3 years time? How do you know this? So he's played pretty poorly by his standards so far this season. Who's to say that come the new year he doesn't snap out of it? Who's to say that come next season(providing he stays healthy), he doesn't get back to his old levels?

Why will a 34 year old Gio in 3 years not be at a pretty decent level still? There are scores of d-men doing really well at 34 and older. Really not sure why you seem to think this is it for Gio, a slow and steady decline to a point in 3 years where he is a anchor on the team. Bizarre comment.
My thoughts on Gio's contract are not at all swayed by this years slow start. I have full faith he will regain form this year, and play well in the early few years of his new deal. The problem is, the Flames are looking very far away from being contender in that time frame ( no fault of Gio's).

Of course I can't predict the future, so I could be wrong. But a lot of strong evidence to support that Gio, like any player, will not be playing close to his best hockey in the back half of his new deal given his age. The unfortunate part for the Flames is that he will still be making a lot of dough then, more than his play will likely warrant, right when our younger players really hit there primes. Not an ideal situations. If the Flames were going to contend in the next couple of years, taking the hit in the later years to ensure we locked Gio in would be worth it. To ensure we have him around for his prime in the rebuild years, not sure it's worth it.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #150
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I could be wrong but aren't the flames 5-6 points out of a playoff spot? Not sure how they have to go 65% wins for rest of season to make up 6 points?
The Flames made the playoffs in 8th place last year with 97 points. That is often the magic number give or take a point to make it. The Flames need 90 points in the remaining 69 games to hit that number. That equals a 65% winning percentage to accomplish.

There is of course room to argue that it might be a point or two less to make it, or with loser points it might not need to be quite 65%, but the point and situation the Flames are in right now remains. They literally need to be the best team in hockey, or at the very least one of the NHLs elite teams from here on in to make it.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #151
expatflame
Formerly FlamesFaninChina

Exp:

TJ Brodie with a +3 in that game. We need more Brodies and less Widemans
expatflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #152
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Flames never do anything the easy way. Ever. It's so Calgary Flames to overachieve on a season where they were supposed to be in the running for a generational talent only to revert the following season to the team that everyone thought they would be. To make things even worse the do it in a season where the lottery rules make it harder for bottom feeders to get the first overall pick.
We're not gonna be last place anyways, this probably will end up helping us when we are in like 10th or 11th place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 10:27 PM   #153
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought this was Wideman's last season under contract
Old 11-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #154
GB70
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We keep getting lit up for 5+ goals against for too many more games. Treliving may well do the worst thing and make a reaction trade for a goalie. Que in the rumours for Riemer/ ward / Bernier to YYC . For the love of hockey I hope we never do another deal with the leafs we lose on every transaction with them. And Ward's numbers scare the heck outa me as much as our current three stooges we already got.
GB70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #155
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB70 View Post
We keep getting lit up for 5+ goals against for too many more games. Treliving may well do the worst thing and make a reaction trade for a goalie. Que in the rumours for Riemer/ ward / Bernier to YYC . For the love of hockey I hope we never do another deal with the leafs we lose on every transaction with them. And Ward's numbers scare the heck outa me as much as our current three stooges we already got.

Stajan > Phaneuf
Old 11-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #156
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I could be wrong but aren't the flames 5-6 points out of a playoff spot? Not sure how they have to go 65% wins for rest of season to make up 6 points?
You just have to calculate how many points the Flames need to get to around 95 points. It will require about 20 games over .500. That's why they need .650. 6 points out of the playoffs is misleading.

Also, already lost so many home games.

Last edited by troutman; 11-03-2015 at 10:35 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #157
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wideman started last season the same way. Is it a conditioning issue?

Because he looked fine after about game 20
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #158
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Wideman started last season the same way. Is it a conditioning issue?

Because he looked fine after about game 20
A lot of Flames that looked fine last season look awful this season.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #159
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I can't believe people are still defending goaltending. Do you guys (not specifically just you) watch highlights? Did you see Jake Allen make 3 saves in one sequence he had no business making? Teams are going to get scoring chances, and good ones. When every one ends up in the back of your net, its the goalies fault. Oh it was a close slapshot, oh it was a cross ice pass, oh it was a 2 on 1.

Hard to excuse those save percentages.
The oilers said the same thing for five+ years. Dubnyk, scrivens, fasths, bryzgalov, etc.

Is the goaltending bad? Sure

It it the only problem? Nope

Is our defense good? When theyve played to their abilities - vancouver and detroit - weve won. Otherwise hamilton, Russell, gio, and wideman have played some of their worst hockey of their careers.

Have the forwards been good on the backcheck? Not as a group.

How has the pk been? Terrible

The group is a disaster right now. That includes the goaltending.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 10:38 PM   #160
azzarish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Extremely depressing.

Has all the hallmarks of one of those seasons where the team is just going to be bad. May have to just take an impartial stance from here on in and try and enjoy Gaudreau, Brodie and Bennett.

Reminds me of when I first moved here and the only good thing about the team was Iggy, Bure, Savard and Stillman. Anything in terms of results was just gravy.

Going to be that type of season.
azzarish is offline   Reply With Quote