Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #141
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlameDog View Post
Post of the year candidate.....
Until they earn the benefit of the doubt, they will not get it from this fan base.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #142
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fata, Ward 13 stuck with Diane Colley-Urquhart? May as well trade Gaudreau now before he jumps ship.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #143
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Why do people think Glencross is going to be traded? He has a NTC and I recall he said around the deadline last year that he would not waive it. Sit him in the pressbox so him, and the rest of the team, get the message that awful play won't be tolerated no matter who you are.

At least Baertschi has been trying to improve his game every night, Glencross just looks uninterested right now.
I don't expect him to be traded, but would like him to be. Just pointing out lots of different things could be going on and go into decisions.

I agree Glencross looks disinterested, I'd much rather have him sit than Sven at this point............not even a question for me. But, the very reason many folks are up in arms about why Sven shouldn't be sitting, might actually be the reason why he ends up sitting and Glencross doesn't. This rediculous, argue to the lowest common denominator crap that gets applied is painful. Sven is young, which apprently means the only thing he can do to develop is play as much as possible, in all situations and only at the NHL level?? Such BS. The bottom line is, because Sven is a work in progress and the Flames goal is to have him reach his highest potential is why they might employ more tactics with him than a Glencross. If the coaches feel he was off a little in some regards (not saying he was) and they think sending a message will get him focused in the right way long term, then so be it. If the coaches feel he's young and might benefit from observing something specific from the press box, then so be it. Glencross is what he is and has reached his potential, so they aren't trying to grow him, that's not what they are doing with Sven, and it's why they might use different techniques.

This simplistic argument that keeps getting made, "if you aren't playing your prospects as much as possible, you are hurting their development" lacks sophistication and is plain and simply stupid. Developing an NHL player is a lot more difficult than "give him ice time", so give the coaches who have been at this for a while some credit and people need to stop assuming they are idiot sticks who for some reason have this strange goal of "runining" young players careers.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #144
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

nevermind
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #145
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I even think Baertschi has been very unlucky. He's had a handful of scoring chances himself where the puck would have gone in most of the time, and he's created chances for his linemates as well that they haven't been able to capitalize on. I think he's unlucky not to have a few more points.

All this while being stronger in his own zone.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #146
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, don't expect any Monahan goals now that they're scratching his best setup man and breaking up that line chemistry. Instead we get to watch undeserving vets get MORE ice time and make even MORE boneheaded plays! Woooo meritocracy!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #147
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well there goes all intelligent conversation about the Flames for a few days. Time to get some work done!

Oh yeah, Flames win this one 3-1 with Glencross getting a pair (1 into an empty net) completely stunning CP.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #148
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah my only question now is - who is going to set up Han-mono for the one timers?

Last edited by calumniate; 10-24-2013 at 01:26 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #149
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Holy hell people, calm your tits. This is now how I view Ashasx

Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #150
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goligoski scratched. Boy that trade certainly isn't looking all that great for the Stars.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #151
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Holy hell people, calm your tits. This is now how I view Ashasx

I like how disagreement with a coaching decision equates to not being calm.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #152
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I hope you guys understand that Gaudreau will only be a good player on two thirds of the ice.
Gaudreau's not even on this team yet and he's constantly mentioning that he wants to be a better defensive player.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #153
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Gaudreau's not even on this team yet and he's constantly mentioning that he wants to be a better defensive player.
Everyone wants to be a better defensive player.

But given Gaudreau's size, he will never be a good defensive player. If we see Gaudreau as a long term asset for this team, it's his offense that matters, not his defense.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #154
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ridiculous.

Team is going to lose big tonight.
Quote:
A team that places blame on the wrong players, that uses others as scapegoats and gives ice time to players that don't deserve it, is a team that will not find any sort of success.

I guarantee a loss tonight. Prediction 5-1 or 6-1 Dallas.
Quote:
I also don't understand the praise for Colborne. I mean, yeah, it's nice that he scored a goal last game, but has anyone ever seen a more passive hockey player?

I guess Sven needs to score at a point per game to get praise from this team.
Quote:
I like how disagreement with a coaching decision equates to not being calm.
LOL no, it's more these kind of comments, all because a rookie is scratched. Give your head a shake.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #155
Gary83
Scoring Winger

Exp:

And let the lol's continue.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #156
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just hope Baertschi doesn't become the next Backlund where they basically develop him to be a defensive player and then just say he never had the offensive potential.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #157
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
LOL no, it's more these kind of comments, all because a rookie is scratched. Give your head a shake.
I guess you should look up the dictionary definition of calm, because you seem to be reacting more than I am.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #158
Puddy27
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Everyone wants to be a better defensive player.

But given Gaudreau's size, he will never be a good defensive player. If we see Gaudreau as a long term asset for this team, it's his offense that matters, not his defense.
That's a terrible view point imo. You can't be good defensively because you're small now? Jesus. Yes, it is tougher because of the size and strength of the average NHLers but to label every small player as bad defensively is very narrow sighted.

GFG!!!!
Puddy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #159
Gary83
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I guess you should look up the dictionary definition of calm, because you seem to be reacting more than I am.
Nah man.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #160
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy27 View Post
That's a terrible view point imo. You can't be good defensively because you're small now? Jesus. Yes, it is tougher because of the size and strength of the average NHLers but to label every small player as bad defensively is very narrow sighted.

GFG!!!!
How many of the small players around the league (sub 5'9") are successful because of their defensive games? How many of them even have defensive games?

I love St. Louis but it would be a stretch to say he's anything close to even an average defensive forward.

I'm surprised anyone would disagree with this.

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin