Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #141
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daliwan View Post
Just booked a business class ticket to Sydney with 135k Aeroplan miles. Next year the same ticket will cost 160k Aeroplan miles.
Nice. If you buy the ticket with cash, it probably costs you $8000, so you got 6 cents/mile on this reward ticket. This is the best way to spend your miles.
caff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #142
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caff View Post
Nice. If you buy the ticket with cash, it probably costs you $8000, so you got 6 cents/mile on this reward ticket. This is the best way to spend your miles.
Yeah, agree. This is why I transfer most of my points to Aeroplan.
Daliwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #143
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Just booked a business class ticket to Sydney with 135k Aeroplan miles. Next year the same ticket will cost 160k Aeroplan miles.
The change only affects business class reward tickets. The miles needed for economy class reward tickets stay the same. For example, it will be still 25k for a return ticket to any North American destination.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #144
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
A new good promo by Amex for AeroplanPlus Gold card: 30k Aeroplan miles and first year free: https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...ATEg4dAw%3D%3D
I got this card two weeks ago. Yesterday received my first statement with 30k bonus miles.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #145
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I got this card two weeks ago. Yesterday received my first statement with 30k bonus miles.
Good for you. This card is the best promo Amex ever had.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #146
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Psi View Post
If you convert to Avios though you can book over the phone for free, at least I was able to when I booked my last one in May.
I like to book online so I can see all the options available.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #147
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Both TD and American express are planning to issue new Aeroplan credit cards. Amex said they will offer one more Premium Aeroplan Credit card with Unique features.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #148
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Both TD and American express are planning to issue new Aeroplan credit cards. Amex said they will offer one more Premium Aeroplan Credit card with Unique features.
Interesting. What is the unique feature of the comming new Amex card?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #149
derfel
Draft Pick

I just switched to Aspire World Travel from another equivalent card.
http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-card...-travel-world/

You get 35,000 points upfront plus 10,000 every year plus 2 points per 1$ spent.

There is a 120$ annual fee which is almost covered by the annual points they give you.

Redeeming the points looks pretty straight forward, you get about 100$ of travel reward per 10,000 points but I didn't have to do that yet.
derfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #150
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfel View Post
I just switched to Aspire World Travel from another equivalent card.
http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-card...-travel-world/

You get 35,000 points upfront plus 10,000 every year plus 2 points per 1$ spent.

There is a 120$ annual fee which is almost covered by the annual points they give you.

Redeeming the points looks pretty straight forward, you get about 100$ of travel reward per 10,000 points but I didn't have to do that yet.
It is a good deal. If they waive the annual fee for the first year as American express, the deal would be the best in the market.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #151
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Just curious if anyone here has ever tried to transfer their Avion points to another person's card? Is this possible?

I know you can combine from different accounts, but can't read through the legal print on the agreement about straight up giving your points to another person.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #152
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Just curious if anyone here has ever tried to transfer their Avion points to another person's card? Is this possible?

I know you can combine from different accounts, but can't read through the legal print on the agreement about straight up giving your points to another person.
Usually it is not allowed, but if you call and get a nice rep, she/he might be able to help you if the transfer is between family members.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #153
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The new Aeroplan visa card from TD will be issed in January with some nice features such as loung access, priority boarding etc. The annual fee will be lower than the Amex Aeroplan Plat card.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #154
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
A new good promo by Amex for AeroplanPlus Gold card: 30k Aeroplan miles and first year free: https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...ATEg4dAw%3D%3D
The new TD Aeroplan card is available now, but it is not as good as the Amex AeroplanPlus card.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #155
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I still think the regular Gold and Platinum Amex cards are better. Aeroplan continues to degrade their points and the fees are sometimes ridiculous to book flights and I find it hard to find rewards flights unless booked quite a bit ahead of time.

The absolute best card for anyone that travels quite a bit is the Amex Platinum which although it carries a $699 fee/year, it comes with the best benefits out there. You get 60,000 points just for signing up, then you get Priority Pass which gets you into all the airport lounges for free with a guest too. I've used it at 10 lounges so far and love it, saves you the $40 entry and you can get free meals and drinks in a lot of the lounges. Plus you get $200 in free travel credit for each calender year with the card so $400 in the first year which brings down your total cost to $299 and the 60,000 points is worth more than 4x that cost. Plus all the regular travel benefits, SPG upgrade, Carlson Club membership and on top of that I've booked a couple flights and hotels through Amex directly and they've actually given a discount over the airlines website and any other sites I've seen which is nice. Might be $20-30 but it's still worth it. Anyways, check it out, I love it.

AMEX PLATINUM: https://www.americanexpress.com/canada/en/mgm/mgmeeApplynow.cgi?mgmerCard=platinumCard&CPID=9999 99371&MGM_URN=AAAAEg0fHB8bCw%3D%3D

If you don't want to spend the money for the Platinum then the Gold is awesome too, gives you 25,000 points and your first year is free. Has all the usual credit card benefits and still not having to deal with Aeroplan. My girlfriend has this card since I have the Platinum and she likes it.

AMEX GOLD: https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...0fHB8bGQ%3D%3D

If you have a spouse or girlfriend then what you do is one of you gets the Platinum and then the other gets the Gold, then when the year is up the Platinum member refers the Gold to Platinum and the Gold card holder refers the Platinum to Gold. That way you get the referral bonuses each time and you always keep 1 of each card handy for use with travel and you never have to pay the fee for the Gold card. We also love the Amex's cus we shop at Costco a lot and like to be able to use a credit card rather than debit so we get the points.

There has been some talk about the BMO World Elite Mastercard being a great value for the sign up points but so far people haven't been happy with booking rewards through them which you need to do to redeem so I don't recommend that one.

The only other card I can recommend is the Capital One Aspire World. I like that one too and have it as well, it's got good benefits and although it carries a $120 fee you pretty much get it back in the renewal bonus points.

Jason
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #156
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Amex cards are great for sign-up bonus, so many people sign them up and cancel before the end of first year free period.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #157
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah my GF, my family, my friends and I all cycle their cards, it's ridiculous how many points you can earn just by doing that between their cards. I also love Amex's customer service, they have the best service out of any company out there IMO.
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #158
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Psi View Post
Yeah my GF, my family, my friends and I all cycle their cards, it's ridiculous how many points you can earn just by doing that between their cards. I also love Amex's customer service, they have the best service out of any company out there IMO.
Amex first year free offers are the best way to collect Aeroplan miles.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #159
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

We use the Scotia visa infinite cash back card and so far it has been great. 4% cash back on gas, groceries and 2% on recurring bills. They also waive the first years annual fee. Definitely worth it if you spend a decent amount every month on gas/groceries and it adds up quickly
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #160
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I've had the RBC Avion Infinite for a little while now and I'm seriously considering switching to the RBC Westjet World Elite Mastercard.

I like the introductory Westjet points and the fact that you get one annual $99 companion airfare.

Anyone have the RBC Westjet Mastercard? Is it a good card and are the fees worth it?

Last edited by Tyler; 02-01-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
credit card , credit cards , rewards points