Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #141
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Why do a trial run of something that is never, ever, intended to be permanent?
Calgary planning at its' finest.
SeoulFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #142
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The trail was to see if it was viable, which it did not prove to be during the trial.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #143
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone please explain the Discotrain to me, I can only pray it has something to do with what I think it does...
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #144
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeoulFire View Post
Calgary planning at its' finest.
From what I understand, Siemens, the manufacturer, was taking it around the continent to their clients as a demonstration unit. So, it was probably more a case of Siemens phoning CT up and saying, "hey, we have this new unit and will do a free demo for you" and CT going "yeah sure, may as well check it out."

Calgary runs Siemens' U2 model (pre-2001 units) and their SD160 model (2001-onward). Siemens also manufactures LRV units for lots of other cities including Edmonton, Denver, Portland, Sacramento, San Jose, Salt Lake City, Charlotte and San Diego.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:06 AM   #145
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ummm, they did make it permanent. The Discotrain ran from Anderson to Shawnessy, so by building extensions to Fish Creek and Somerset, they basically did the same thing as the Discotrain.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #146
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
Ummm, they did make it permanent. The Discotrain ran from Anderson to Shawnessy, so by building extensions to Fish Creek and Somerset, they basically did the same thing as the Discotrain.
That could have been done by any train in the CT fleet. The Discotrain was a Tech demo.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #147
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's a report going to the Land Use Planning and Transportation Committee on Wednesday about improved fare payment systems. Looks like the aim is to have them implemented in 2012.

An excerpt:

Quote:
In 2010 July, Calgary Transit customers
provided positive feedback and valuable input
during focus group sessions held to explore
various electronic fare media concepts.
A request for proposal (RFP) for a new EFC
system was released in 2010 June and
closed in September. Calgary Transit is
evaluating the proposals received. Selection
of a vendor and finalizing an agreement for
purchase and implementation is expected to
take place late in 2010.

The system design phase will occur throughout most of 2011 with
implementation planned for early 2012.

Calgary Transit is working towards
implementing the first phase of an electronic
fare collection (EFC) system. This system will
provide customers with more convenient and
flexible means of purchasing and using transit
fares while creating opportunities for
innovative fare strategies after the system has
been in place for an appropriate length of
time.

As well, Calgary Transit is investigating
modification of some existing fare collection
equipment to provide customers with an
option to pay for a transit fare using their
credit card at LRT stations. If feasible, these
modifications could take place in 2011.
http://agendaminutes.calgary.ca/sire...0124834452.PDF
Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #148
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

A couple updates:

I saw on the 6PM news last night that CTV will be running a special segment on Calgary Transit's history and future on tonight's 6PM news (Nov. 11). It will be part of a series they've been running about Calgary's history while celebrating CFCN's 50th Anniversary. Tune in tonight if you're interested. I'd imagine they will be discussing lots of the things that have come up in this thread.

------------------------

Now that Whitehorn has had it's platform extended, Southland Station will be the next to see its platform extended to handle 4 car trains.

As per SSP and CP contributor You Need a Thneed:

Quote:
Includes:
Extended platform
New south end platform access, much bigger than the current one
Partial replacement of the existing platform.
I think some renos inside the station head.
Concrete repairs to existing grade beams and deck.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #149
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Now that Whitehorn has had it's platform extended, Southland Station will be the next to see its platform extended to handle 4 car trains.

As per SSP and CP contributor You Need a Thneed:
The plans show a much improved south platform access. Much wider, and designed to not look like an afterthought.

Whitehorn station has it's ramp all done, mostly the above platform stuff left to go (including an actual canopy)

The pedestrian bridge at McKnight Westwinds Station over Metis Trail is nearing completion, just a few lengths of railng to go, then all of the railing is done.

The tunnel under 64th Ave for the LRT extention to Saddletowne is mostly backfilled over, and might have traffic going over it in a few weeks.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #150
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't for the life of me remember what the plan is for the 39th Ave station; as IIRC its not big enough to accomodate the 4 car expansion.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #151
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I can't for the life of me remember what the plan is for the 39th Ave station; as IIRC its not big enough to accomodate the 4 car expansion.
It is, but barely.

With 5 cars being the long-term plan, there will have to be bigger changes for a few stations, including 39th Avenue. Moving it to the north side of the crossing, or closing the 39th Ave. roadway to through traffic would be my guess.

I hope when they extend it to 4 car length that they add some sort of canopy. I think it's the most unwelcoming station in the system.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #152
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just a reminder to watch the Calgary Transit special segment on CFCN news. Broadcast is starting now. Not sure when the special segment starts.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #153
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

More on the improvements forthcoming for fare payment, including smart card technology.

Quote:
Transit bringing in debit, credit card machines

Calgary Transit plans to install credit and debit card machines at some stations by next summer.

The idea is to make it easier for C-Train patrons to pay for their ride.

"The new stations will have it and some of the old stations will be retrofitted in order to be able to accommodate it," said Ald. John Mar, member of the city's land use, planning and transportation committee.

The system will come as a relief to some LRT commuters.

[...]

Besides the debit and credit card system being piloted, the city is also working to bring in an electronic fare system using smart cards.

[...]

One model that Calgary Transit is considering is London's Oyster system.

[...]

Mar even suggested the proposed smart card system could allow holders access to other city services like the library.

The soonest a smart card system could be expected is 2012.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/11/10/calgary-transit-ctrain-fares-debit-credit-machines.html

Last edited by frinkprof; 11-11-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #154
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ as Mar called it on CBC the "Prairie Oyster" card.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #155
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's some information/feedback sessions coming up for the possible (i.e. no timeline or exact routing set) SW BRT service.

Here's a map of the probable route with probable major stops.

It's from this brochure: http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/SW...chure_sPg1.pdf

Looks like they could go a step further with this BRT route and introduce more robust stations and busways (separated bus-only lanes) along some of the route.

Info sessions:

Public Meetings:

November 23 from 11:30am - 2:00pm
Rockyview General Hospital: 7007, 14 Street SW

November 23 from 3:30pm - 8:00pm
Southland Leisure Centre: 2000 Southland Drive SW

November 24 from 11:30am - 2:00pm
Mount Royal University: 4825 Mount Royal Gate SW

November 24 from 3:30pm - 7:00pm
Braeside Community Association: 11024 Braeside Drive SW

More info: http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/sw_brt_2010.html

--------------------

Thoughts on a possible SW BRT?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #156
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
That could have been done by any train in the CT fleet. The Discotrain was a Tech demo.

except that the disco train was diesel-powered.

The bigger reason for the trial was that siemens was trying to get calgary to buy a diesel powered lrt
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #157
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't go to any of the SW BRT open houses myself, but here are some of the components/features being discussed based on what someone who did attend said:

1. Bus only lane will start at Southland drive and then head north up 14th street

2. Both North/South lanes will run on the west side on 14th St

3. A Bus only underpass at 90th ave

4. Bus lanes on Glenmore and Crowchild

5. Stops at Mount Royal

6. Rough estimates price it at $30-50 million

Thoughts on the route and/or any of the above features?

Last edited by frinkprof; 11-24-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #158
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

No offense to the residents in the SW 'cause it's great for them but why aren't they looking at dedicated bus lanes and underpasses for the existing SE BRT. I live in Copperfield and it takes the same amount of time to take the community bus to the LRT to downtown as community bus to SE BRT to downtown. The R is supposed to stand for rapid IIRC.

The lasers that are supposed to give priority at intersections do #### all, going through quarry park adds a ton of time to the trip and no one gets on or off (it's a business park. everyone has a parking spot for cripes sake) and there is only one lane for a large portion of the trip. It's even more ridiculous that the SE expresses go this way as well.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:06 AM   #159
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
3. A Bus only underpass at 90th ave
So here is my question- why build a "Bus Only" underpass there? Why not an underpass for all of 14th street traffic; and leave the surface intersection for the turning traffic.

Yes, the bottleneck will continue to be the next intersection; but at least start making 14th a bit of an expressway.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:24 AM   #160
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
No offense to the residents in the SW 'cause it's great for them but why aren't they looking at dedicated bus lanes and underpasses for the existing SE BRT. I live in Copperfield and it takes the same amount of time to take the community bus to the LRT to downtown as community bus to SE BRT to downtown. The R is supposed to stand for rapid IIRC.

The lasers that are supposed to give priority at intersections do #### all, going through quarry park adds a ton of time to the trip and no one gets on or off (it's a business park. everyone has a parking spot for cripes sake) and there is only one lane for a large portion of the trip. It's even more ridiculous that the SE expresses go this way as well.
Not to say this sentiment doesn't have legitimacy, because it does, but here's a couple points in response.

The SE BRT is planned as a precursor for an LRT route, so a lot of the capital expenditures (bridges, dedicated rights of way, signal bypassing, etc.) are being put off for when the LRT route itself will be constructed. The same isn't true for the SW, so spending the capital on the BRT makes more sense, because that is the endgame.

Also, to be fair, the SW route will have its own detour by stopping at MRU. Mind you, it should have more people boarding/unboarding than Quarry Park, but it will take more time than a direct route to/from downtown for SW commuters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
So here is my question- why build a "Bus Only" underpass there? Why not an underpass for all of 14th street traffic; and leave the surface intersection for the turning traffic.

Yes, the bottleneck will continue to be the next intersection; but at least start making 14th a bit of an expressway.
The guy that went to the open house (and I am getting the above information from) said he asked about this too - why not a full-out interchange rather than just the bus-only underpass? The response he got was that the residents nearby do not want an interchange there, so they are floating this bus-only underpass idea for the BRT. This isn't anything new either. Residents along the 14th Street corridor have been shooting down the thought of turning it into an expressway with interchanges for decades.
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings