Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #141
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I'd say the OP realizes how crummy the current iteration of the Flames has been for most of the last 6-7 years, and despite wanting them to rebuild, is still willing to cheer them on.

Being pro-rebuild while continuing to cheer for the team are not mutually exclusive to one another.
It's just life of being a Flames fan, it just doesn't make sense some times.

I want them to change directions and embrace something they haven't done (tank), because what they have been doing all these years has resulted in 4 playoff series victories since we last raised the Stanley Cup - which is just pitiful from a results perspective.

...but until they enact such a change in philosophy, I'll cheer and hope for the best.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #142
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Advanced stats are nice tools but really prove nothing.What were the advanced stats on Backlund against the Avs in the playoffs when he was our worst player? What were the advanced stats for other clearly better two way C's like Barkov and Bergeron?
How was he our worst player in that series? Somebody, I think maybe Bingo actually broke down his stats for the series and he was far from the worst player. Because YOU say he was the worst? That's the tool that's better than stats?

I guess you can close your eyes, ignore all stats and make believe but dont try to sell others on it when you cannot back it up with anything.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #143
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
How was he our worst player in that series? Somebody, I think maybe Bingo actually broke down his stats for the series and he was far from the worst player. Because YOU say he was the worst? That's the tool that's better than stats?

I guess you can close your eyes, ignore all stats and make believe but dont try to sell others on it when you cannot back it up with anything.
Anybody who watched that series saw how bad Backlund was, just stop. I get it, you like the player but you are simply not spewing reality here. I don't need to sell it to anyone, the fans on here saw it. If you think Backlund was good in the series you have a lot to learn about hockey. A lot.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #144
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Anybody who watched that series saw how bad Backlund was, just stop. I get it, you like the player but you are simply not spewing reality here. I don't need to sell it to anyone, the fans on here saw it. If you think Backlund was good in the series you have a lot to learn about hockey. A lot.
I am virtually certain that there were plenty of knowledgable hockey fans who watched the same series you did, and have come to the conclusion that Backlund was not nearly as bad as you claim he played v. the best hockey player in the world.

You made the claim. The onus is upon you to prove it, and until you do we can all go along happily rolling our eyes and shaking our heads at oyour baseless assertions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 01:19 PM   #145
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one said he was good. What people are challenging is that he was "the worst".
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:22 PM   #146
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
No one said he was good. What people are challenging is that he was "the worst".
Or "ridiculously bad". A statement like that just makes your argument foolish. Explain why he was bad, tell us why.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #147
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Or "ridiculously bad". A statement like that just makes your argument foolish. Explain why he was bad, tell us why.
Because he wandered around like a lost puppy the whole series. He was terrible. Not the worst, who was worse in that series? This is freakin hilarious, the group bullying session is in as usual. I'm sorry, you are right, Backlund was an oak in that series.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #148
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Which I turned into this for some reason:

This lady has some fantastic vocalist reviews btw

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
SnipeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnipeShow For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #149
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Because he wandered around like a lost puppy the whole series. He was terrible. Not the worst, who was worse in that series? This is freakin hilarious, the group bullying session is in as usual. I'm sorry, you are right, Backlund was an oak in that series.
I'm not one to police the internet, but what we are seeing here isn't group bullying. It's a bunch of people who have expressed desire for you to provide something more than anecdotal 'viewings' as evidence for unconfirmed claims of Backlund's ability, specifically during the Avs series.

Smarter people than myself have posted evidence contrary to your opinion and you have not provided any evidence other than a bunch of sarcastic comments aimed at discrediting anything that opposes your viewpoint. As if opposing your viewpoint then paints those same people as bullies.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 02:04 PM   #150
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow View Post

Yup. Watch her review Haley Reinhart/Postmodern Jukebox.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #151
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Advanced stats are nice tools but really prove nothing.What were the advanced stats on Backlund against the Avs in the playoffs when he was our worst player? What were the advanced stats for other clearly better two way C's like Barkov and Bergeron?
Quote:
Backlund (and Tkachuk for that matter) got Nathan Mackinnon'd + PDO'd in that series.

Head to head against Mackinnon that line was:

52.0% Corsi For
51.9% xGF
68.4% HDCF

But ended up 0 GF and 3 GA at 5v5 because they had a 0% shooting percentage, and a .870 save percentage when on the ice against Mackinnon.

Think a couple of those GA's were on odd-man rushes after Flames held possession too and our d-men made a bad decision at the blueline.

When Backlund wasn't on the ice against Mackinnon the Flames were:

32.9% Corsi For
18.3% xGF
5.56% HDCF% (1 HDCF, 17 HDCA !!!)

But ended up 1 GF and 0 GA because they had a 1.091 PDO in that time. Smith stood on his head, but only when Backlund/Tkachuk weren't on the ice.

So yeah moral of the story is that the actual GF/GA can be somewhat random in such a small sample size, especially against one of the best players in the world.

In the end though over the long haul the Flames were in a much better position with Backlund (and Tkachuk) on the ice than they were with any other Flames forward combination against Mackinnon in that series. Even if they ended up being a little unlucky when it came to the actual results.

The top forwards felt the blame for that series...when really it was the bottom 6 that got caved in.

Jankowski - 20.9% xGF
Neal - 33.4% xGF
Ryan - 36.5% xGF
Bennett - 37.8% xGF
Frolik - 38.4% xGF
Hathaway - 38.7% xGF

All of those guys didn't have to go head to head against Mackinnon, and they were still all caved in finishing with xGF% below 40%. Also worth noting that not a single player listed there still plays for the Flames.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-14-2021 at 04:08 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #152
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, she's great and her facial reactions are great.

The GIF is from her reacting to Devin Townsend's Kingdom
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 05:30 PM   #153
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Backlund (and Tkachuk for that matter) got Nathan Mackinnon'd + PDO'd in that series.

Head to head against Mackinnon that line was:

52.0% Corsi For
51.9% xGF
68.4% HDCF

But ended up 0 GF and 3 GA at 5v5 because they had a 0% shooting percentage, and a .870 save percentage when on the ice against Mackinnon.

Think a couple of those GA's were on odd-man rushes after Flames held possession too and our d-men made a bad decision at the blueline.

When Backlund wasn't on the ice against Mackinnon the Flames were:

32.9% Corsi For
18.3% xGF
5.56% HDCF% (1 HDCF, 17 HDCA !!!)

But ended up 1 GF and 0 GA because they had a 1.091 PDO in that time. Smith stood on his head, but only when Backlund/Tkachuk weren't on the ice.

So yeah moral of the story is that the actual GF/GA can be somewhat random in such a small sample size, especially against one of the best players in the world.

In the end though over the long haul the Flames were in a much better position with Backlund (and Tkachuk) on the ice than they were with any other Flames forward combination against Mackinnon in that series. Even if they ended up being a little unlucky when it came to the actual results.

The top forwards felt the blame for that series...when really it was the bottom 6 that got caved in.

Jankowski - 20.9% xGF
Neal - 33.4% xGF
Ryan - 36.5% xGF
Bennett - 37.8% xGF
Frolik - 38.4% xGF
Hathaway - 38.7% xGF

All of those guys didn't have to go head to head against Mackinnon, and they were still all caved in finishing with xGF% below 40%. Also worth noting that not a single player listed there still plays for the Flames.
Well done SuperMatt! I started to look and compile but you just nailed it.

What I dont see in your breakdown is WLP%. Wandering Lost Puppy Percentage. I know its asking for a lot when you gave so much..

I owe you all my thanks.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 05:36 PM   #154
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Well done SuperMatt! I started to look and compile but you just nailed it.

What I dont see in your breakdown is WLP%. Wandering Lost Puppy Percentage. I know its asking for a lot when you gave so much..

I owe you all my thanks.
Keep stirring that pot....
Old 09-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #155
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I've learned about quite a few cool bands and singers from watching her break them down.

Hope Nightwish comes to Calgary sometime
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #156
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I've learned about quite a few cool bands and singers from watching her break them down.

Hope Nightwish comes to Calgary sometime
They came a couple years back but I couldn't make it disappointingly so I'm also hoping they can back their way here again. Phenomenal singer and band.

SnipeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #157
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund was on the ice for 3 of the 4 gwg in that series. All 3 goals in the momentum turning game 2 loss.

He a very good player when engaged. He isn't always as enagaed as he could he or should be.

He is a smart player too, and uses those smarts to be in good positioning and also enough to not stand out as horrible in game situations when he is playing bad. But drive to the net if it means a collision? Take a hit to make a play or keep a play alive? Not often. Get into dirty area or stay in dirty areas to get a better chance or shot on net or keep a play alive? Nope, he'll defer to dump it in the corner or while in the zone, behind the net, and drop back into a defensive position at the expense of the better opportunity for his linemates. That's not what the Flames, who have needed a second scoring line, need as far as offensive zone from their second scoring line center...part of the reason Lindy was tried there last year.

He has terrible stretches in seasons, whether it being scoring droughts or lackadaisical play. He will bounce back, but it's certainly up and down. Part of that PP2 unit a few years back that didn't score until Christmas or so.

He's a solid third line center as his career moves on, with a not insignificant cap hit.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 09:15 PM   #158
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I find it's always a good idea to acknowledge when I've been bested.

Sir, you've been bested. Take your lumps and move on. We've all been there.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:54 PM   #159
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Are you not going to reply? Someone posted a very well thought out post with evidence and data that took a while to compile together but all you could come up with is acting like a victim?
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knightslayer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 12:56 AM   #160
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Are you not going to reply? Someone posted a very well thought out post with evidence and data that took a while to compile together but all you could come up with is acting like a victim?
I was not replying to the well thought out post, I was replying to the troll post I quoted. Are we done with this crap yet?