Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2017, 12:48 PM   #141
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Boy, if the Flames can't beat the jets this is going to be a long season.
Haven't the Oilers won this tournament four years running?
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #142
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jets have done a bang up job collapsing around their goalie and keeping the Flames out of the slot all period.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #143
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

That was a pretty bad period, but I am pleased that McDonald is having a good game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #144
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Philips doesn't seem like an NHLer yet to me.

Those defending Hunter Smith, he should be dominating here. This is his 4TH young stars!
I think his nickname should be bobbles. He always bobbles the puck and kills any offensive play. Someone said he's going the way of the Kanzig. 100% agree.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #145
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I don't know who the Jet take out of the Central. NSH? CHI? STL? Then the Wild card is just a deep with Dallas, CGY, EDM, ANA, SJ.

I dont think the Jets have a chance.
Chicago is due for a stumble eventually. Their roster, outside of their top 5 players, is awful. Perhaps the 1st round sweep was a sign of things to come?

I think Chicago is closer to being a wildcard team than they are to the top of their division.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #146
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Chicago is due for a stumble eventually. Their roster, outside of their top 5 players, is awful. Perhaps the 1st round sweep was a sign of things to come?

I think Chicago is closer to being a wildcard team than they are to the top of their division.
Yeah Chicago would be the most likely, but they always find a way. Even if they are closer to a wild card, they still take it over the Jets.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #147
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
what you guys think of phillips this tournament? Seems like he's too small and though he's definitely quick, just not as elusive enough to be effective given his size.
I agree. I've been a bit underwhelmed. He made a great pass in the first period that, unfortunately, didn't go anywhere. To give him some credit, he been trying things but they haven't been successful. I'm not sure if it's because he's not good enough or if it's because these players are a higher level of competition though. So I suppose I'm underwhelmed but not ready to write him off.
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:55 PM   #148
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post

I will be shocked if the Hawks make the playoffs this year. I am also not buying Dallas being a big improvement. Bishop will help some but they already had a great offence and they still have a putrid D.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:55 PM   #149
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Canucks were unimpressive and will probably lose to the stinkers. Oilers getting their young stars banner ready for the rafters. September hype thrusters to full power!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #150
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR View Post
I agree. I've been a bit underwhelmed. He made a great pass in the first period that, unfortunately, didn't go anywhere. To give him some credit, he been trying things but they haven't been successful. I'm not sure if it's because he's not good enough or if it's because these players are a higher level of competition though. So I suppose I'm underwhelmed but not ready to write him off.
I was also underwhelmed by his "fluent" French
Old 09-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #151
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah Chicago would be the most likely, but they always find a way. Even if they are closer to a wild card, they still take it over the Jets.
I really dislike the Jets but I strongly disagree with that.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #152
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

janko's got that Otto vibe to him.

Huge, understated guy.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #153
sekimet
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Philips doesn't seem like an NHLer yet to me.

Those defending Hunter Smith, he should be dominating here. This is his 4TH young stars!
I think his nickname should be bobbles. He always bobbles the puck and kills any offensive play. Someone said he's going the way of the Kanzig. 100% agree.
Phillips has looked weak to me as well, was kind of hoping he would shine this year at this tournament. Ollas mattson has actually looked pretty strong today, not much offense there but he is pretty strong in his own end.
sekimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #154
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Fun little fact that makes me feel old..

In '98 My best friend's parents introduced me to Robert and Karen Reichel. Robert let me see his gold medal which is cool but not the point..

I was living with my buddy and his parents and Robert was on Phoenix playing for the yotes and Karen was staying with us as well.

Anyway.. Karen needed to go to a medical appointment as she was due to give birth.. I had to drive her to the medical appointment as no one else was available. we see now, young Kristian Reichel was the one on her belly...

Holy crap do I feel old..

Last edited by IgiTang; 09-11-2017 at 02:49 PM.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #155
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I will be shocked if the Hawks make the playoffs this year. I am also not buying Dallas being a big improvement. Bishop will help some but they already had a great offence and they still have a putrid D.
Their D isnt that bad. but those forwards...man...
Old 09-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #156
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
I was also underwhelmed by his "fluent" French
y'see, that's albertan french, i have the same accent myself.

It's like, on the one hand you are proud that you can speak french, but then on the other hand everyone around you sounds like they work in a lumber camp, so you try to fit in that way too.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #157
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
what you guys think of phillips this tournament? Seems like he's too small and though he's definitely quick, just not as elusive enough to be effective given his size.
One thing I have liked about his game is that he hasn't backed down in the dirty areas. He plays hard in front of the net and in the corners.

I wonder if he will get a preseason game, my guess is not after the split squad. This year in the AHL will answer a lot of questions for sure.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #158
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
So, for those who have watched a lot of it, how are Jankowski, Andersson, Valimaki, and Foo comparing to Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennet, Tkachuk when they played in this tourney. By comparing, I mean, are they standing out against their peer group as much as, or more or less, than the other young guys who quickly became NHL regulars?
My memory of past tourneys isn't crystal clear.

That said Jankowski looks like a surefire NHLer to me. Top two line centre with size, vision, stick handling and shooting. He was the most standout player out of all the players this year on our team or the opposition. Head and shoulders above everyone else in the tournament I've seen (including guys like Boeser, Juolevi, etc.) Of course he's far older and more experienced than most of the players here so he should stand out.

Foo has NHL speed, size and instincts IMO. Protects the puck well on the wing and looks dangerous with his head up looking to pass or shoot. Hard to tell what his offensive upside is but I'd say he's looking like a 3rd/2nd liner. I think he's close to competing for a spot. If he doesn't start up here I'd be shocked if he wasn't an injury callup at some point this year. I think you could plug him in with Frolik-Backlund if you wanted and he'd be capable. Some have suggested trying him with Gaudreau-Monahan and I think that's ambitious. Don't think he has 1st line upside.

Andersson looks great but its hard to gauge defensemen until they're playing against NHL forwards. He's very composed in the offensive zone and is playing as the lone defenseman on the first PP unit. I'd say he's close to competing but because he's a RHD I think he'll be in tough to make the team. Definitely has top 4 dman upside.

Valimaki looks composed beyond his years. Was arguably the best player in our first game and has looked solid since. Again it'll be a different task to play against NHL forwards in the preseason. I think he'll show well in training camp but I highly doubt he'll make the team. Upside looks great though. There's no rush with him but I think he'll be ready within 1-2 years. Definitely has top 3 dman upside in my mind.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #159
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Their D isnt that bad. but those forwards...man...
It is putrid. Methot is the only guy that can actually play D. Klingberg is a total offensive minded guy who gets caught out of position a lot to get his points. Hamhuis is a pylon now. Bishop is gonna see 40+ shots every night.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #160
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
One thing I have liked about his game is that he hasn't backed down in the dirty areas. He plays hard in front of the net and in the corners.

I wonder if he will get a preseason game, my guess is not after the split squad. This year in the AHL will answer a lot of questions for sure.
Agreed with your first paragraph. He'll actually be back in junior though, he's too young to go to the AHL.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: