Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #141
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
As a pit bull owner it's unfortunate to hear the continued negative stories about the breed. I still though think it comes down to the owners not the breed. With the right owner and environment they are great dogs. If raised the wrong way they can be a menage to both humans and other dogs.

We've had no issues on our end. Our dog is great with our kids and around other dogs. It's well documented that the breed is great with kids and no exception on our end.

2 things though we do avoid is 1) off leash dog parks and 2) bringing other dogs into our home (aka into her territory). As responsible dog owners we would never want to put our dog into an unfair situation where she had to react.
Is your dog neutered?
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #142
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep wanting to have an open mind about the breed, but it seems when they attack, it doesn't end well.

If I see a dog that is what I think is a pit, I'd make an effort to give it a wide berth.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #143
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
My dog thinks that Sliver and all his dog hateing buddies are paranoid.

God, I hate when dog owners get like this. Makes me want to puke.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-19-2012 at 04:15 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #144
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I keep wanting to have an open mind about the breed, but it seems when they attack, it doesn't end well.

If I see a dog that is what I think is a pit, I'd make an effort to give it a wide berth.
I do the same with my lab at the offleash park. The only time I felt my dog was seriously threatened was when a large pitbull ran over and jumped on my 90 lb, intact, male lab. Forunately my dog was smart enough to keep his head low and stay motionless, and the pitbull backed off without starting a fight.

As I passed the ower (a youngish guy with a surly attitude) said his dog takes issues with dogs that are unneutered.

I realize that there are a lot of good natured pitbulls around, however all it takes is one and your dog could be dead. I for one would not be disappointed if they banned the breed.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #145
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #146
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are 60 more times likely to be killed by a falling coconut than a pit bull.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #147
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You are 60 more times likely to be killed by a falling coconut than a pit bull.
Yes, but the majority of attacks aren't fatal. The issue is kids and other pets getting mauled and seriously injured in their communities.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #148
BlackRedGold25
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd ban cigarettes and pit bulls since neither provide any value to society.
BlackRedGold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #149
Hans Landa
Self Lifetime Suspended

Exp:

My Opinion Follows:

I'm all for people being allowed to do and own whatever they want... but in the case of certain dog breeds, I don't care who the owner is.

Dogs are instinctive creatures. They don't simply develop their behavior based on what they are taught. No one teaches a puppy (or a human baby for that matter) to suck on a nipple seconds after it enters the world. That's instinct.

A particular dog breed's instinctive tendency to be aggressive has as good a chance of being controlled by it's owner, as a homosexual's instinctive tendency to being gay can be controlled by the government. In other words... it's not happening. They are born that way.

Just as there are particular dog breeds that excel at obedience competition, there are dog breeds that excel at being disobedient.

Pitbulls are like a kid with tourette syndrome. Fine most of the time, but a ticking time bomb all the same. It may or may not go off, but it's always ticking.
Pairing a dog like this with the Juvie Hall alumni, that seem most attracted to owning one, is just asking for it.
Hans Landa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #150
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landa View Post
My Opinion Follows:

I'm all for people being allowed to do and own whatever they want... but in the case of certain dog breeds, I don't care who the owner is.

Dogs are instinctive creatures. They don't simply develop their behavior based on what they are taught. No one teaches a puppy (or a human baby for that matter) to suck on a nipple seconds after it enters the world. That's instinct.

A particular dog breed's instinctive tendency to be aggressive has as good a chance of being controlled by it's owner, as a homosexual's instinctive tendency to being gay can be controlled by the government. In other words... it's not happening. They are born that way.

Just as there are particular dog breeds that excel at obedience competition, there are dog breeds that excel at being disobedient.

Pitbulls are like a kid with tourette syndrome. Fine most of the time, but a ticking time bomb all the same. It may or may not go off, but it's always ticking.
Pairing a dog like this with the Juvie Hall alumni, that seem most attracted to owning one, is just asking for it.
Yeah, that's the other problem. You don't see very many "responsible" looking pitbull owners. They usually look as nasty and ugly as their dog, and they tend to have the "don't F with me, or my dog will F you up" look when they're out walking them.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #151
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe in parts of the US, the pitbull owners are required to carry a device which fits between the dogs back teeth. It is used to pry the pitbull's jaw apart when it locks on to the neck of another dog. Without it, the dog which is being attacked could die a slow painful death.

I would feel more comfortable if they came up with a bylaw that bans all pitbulls from off leash parks.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #152
Hans Landa
Self Lifetime Suspended

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I didn't realize kids with Tourette's were ticking timebombs. Might need to go back to the drawing board with that analogy.
So much for banking on the assumption that there are no members of a Tourettes Focus Group lurking here.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #153
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Growing up in Toronto, a couple of my friends owned a pitbull cross called "Joey". He was great with all the kids on the block, and with dogs owned by those kids. But Joey had killed three small dogs that happened to wander through the area.

Joey especially hated this collie that lived two doors down from him. The owner of the collie was an old gentleman who was night watchman for a factory at the end of the street. One night, as the old gentleman walked to work with the collie, I witnessed Joey walking slowly across the road, gradually picking up speed, until he flew in the air and landed on the collie's neck. The old gentleman started wapping Joey against a telephone pole with Joey still attached to the collie. It took numerousl waps before Joey finally let go. Fortunately the collie was not seriously injured, thanks to the efforts of the old man. Strangely enough Joey was also unharmed.

This experience proves to me that pitbulls can be as happy and friendly as any other dog when it comes to people and dogs they know and like, while when the same pitbull comes in contact with certain other dogs, they can be very dangerous.

Last edited by flamesfever; 08-19-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #154
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
God, I hate when dog owners get like this. Makes me want to puke.
Note to self... Never give flameswin a book by Dean Koontz
The Following User Says Thank You to Rerun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #155
jofillips
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

i love these forums, by far it has the best sense of humour - even when discussing baby-ripping dogs!
jofillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #156
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Having almost been attacked while walking home alone a few years ago in Tuscany by some irresponsible #######s pitbull looking dog I blame owners. ####ing ####### let this beast out late at night to just roam the neighborhood (and presumably piss and #### all over his neighbors lawns) and it snapped and growled at me until the owner called it back home.

I'd never had problems with dogs and for the most part still don't with most breeds but I'm scared ####less of those dogs now.

I'm not sure if we're talking about bans but I'd go ahead and say I'm all for a ban of dangerous breeds.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #157
Hans Landa
Self Lifetime Suspended

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
... I'm all for a ban of dangerous breeds.

Yea but that opens a huge can of worms.

I agree that pitbulls are more dangerous than say, a Newfoundland Dog, but Pitbull owners are going to shout Doggy Racism.

And if you're the type of person that thinks dogs are like people, then I guess they'd have a point.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #158
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any dog over a certain weight (I dunno, 30 pounds?) should have to wear a muzzle in public. You don't have to kill any dogs, and it's easy for any bylaw officer/cop to see who's complying or not.

Sure it won't prevent all attacks, (ie dogs from escaping their yard) but at least you will seriously cut down on any damage from attacks of people walking dogs and getting loose, or being in dog parks etc.

Last edited by Table 5; 08-20-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #159
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landa View Post
Yea but that opens a huge can of worms.

I agree that pitbulls are more dangerous than say, a Newfoundland Dog, but Pitbull owners are going to shout Doggy Racism.

And if you're the type of person that thinks dogs are like people, then I guess they'd have a point.
I like dogs. I think all dogs should be treated with respect and care.

But when it comes to my rights vs a dog's rights, #### the dog. My rights trump dogs' rights 10 times out of 10 because they don't have any.

And #### any owners who value a dogs imaginary rights over my very real rights.

Yeah, yeah it is the owners fault. Sure I agree but we legislate plenty of things that are abused by only some people while the responsible people have to deal with it too.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #160
Rerun

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Any dog over a certain weight (I dunno, 30 pounds?) should have to wear a muzzle in public. You don't have to kill any dogs, and it's easy for any bylaw officer/cop to see who's complying or not.

Sure it won't prevent all attacks, (ie dogs from escaping their yard) but at least you will seriously cut down on attacks of people walking dogs and getting loose, or being in dog parks etc.
Thank god... we now have the solution to all those dogs that are terrorizing our communities killing and maiming people.

Tags
dog attack puppy barking