Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2024, 08:13 AM   #141
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first outright terrible City Connect jerseys belong to St. Louis. The idea behind the CC jerseys is it's not supposed to be vintage. History or not, they opted in and completely missed the point. Calling it "The Lou" after a 2000 Nelly rap? Making it look like a 7 year old put it together in half hour? Terrible. They should've been denied the ability to put it out. So dumb.

bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:13 AM   #142
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

The jerseys are so bad in both design and quality that I flip flopped on my stance on buying Chinese knockoff jerseys.

I've got a royal blue Eovaldi, a white with championship gold trim Seager, a youth royal blue Semien for my oldest, and royal blue Scherzer for my wife. All for the cost of, what, one MLB replica? All the same quality?

I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that Fanatics outsources their jerseys to DHGate.

All that to say

F*** St. Louis. Glad their city connect jersey is ugly!

13 years and a championship later I'm still *REALLY* bitter.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 01:18 PM   #143
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
The first outright terrible City Connect jerseys belong to St. Louis. The idea behind the CC jerseys is it's not supposed to be vintage. History or not, they opted in and completely missed the point. Calling it "The Lou" after a 2000 Nelly rap? Making it look like a 7 year old put it together in half hour? Terrible. They should've been denied the ability to put it out. So dumb.

Yeah "The Lou" is bad as it doesn't appear anyone in St Louis associates with that.
The squiggly lines are to reflect the rivers. Would've been bold for them to put those in blue on the jersey, not the small grey stiching that isn't noticeable unless up close.
The fleur de lis and the rivers are on the city flag.
Are they the worst? Depends what define as worst. Un-imanagtive? Worst looking? There are lots of ones in each of those categories, and most of them that really don't dive fully into a city connect theme.

I did a big post in the Jays thread about the CC's. You can tell the teams who really engaged in this process, and those others who didn't.

The majority of them are basically alternate uniforms that teams already probably had in mind, and tack on some vauge local thing like a patch or the city initals or slogan and call it city connect. Most of those have the same color scheme generally as their current uniform set, maybe change the pants to dark to give an alternative look.

Teams though like Padres, Rays, Mets, Red Sox, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Rangers and Marlins (the last two to a lesser degree)went away from the current color schemes to try and capture the city connect vibe through a uniform look, not just a patch.

Will see what the Jays pull off in a week or less, if it leaks.

Last edited by browna; 05-20-2024 at 01:24 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:28 PM   #144
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure I can recall three home runs being hit so hard within the same inning...they kept one upping each other.

https://x.com/mlb/status/1794193195263529003?s=46
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 12:00 PM   #145
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't watch baseball or follow it, other than to see how the Jays are doing, but I have no investment in it. But on my youtube algorithms I seem to be getting a lot of umpires missing ball/strikes so very badly. Is this becoming more widespread now, or is it just something that's being noticed and reported on more? And is there a good reason baseball doesn't just go with automated strike zones? One thing I will say is that sometimes with the camera angle, the call looks egregious, but it is hard to see where the ball crossed the plate horizontally, if if that makes any sense.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 07:32 PM   #146
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please be true.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1795263487486349369
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 07:51 PM   #147
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

I think he became the whipping boy at a certain point in his career and ultimately wanted to get a package to walk away. When that didn't transpire he tried forcing their hand and it still didn't work, so now here we are. I'm surprised but not really. Must be hard being the butt end of a joke every day when coming to work.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 08:08 PM   #148
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll miss ####ting on Hernandez. But he's only the tip of the iceberg. CB Bucknor and Laz Diaz come on down!
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2024, 08:10 PM   #149
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just the best news
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 08:24 PM   #150
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One of my fav baseball moments was Schwarber going off on Angel. And not just for himself, but for both teams. It was an egregious outing.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 03:06 PM   #151
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2024, 08:33 PM   #152
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mets reliever gets tossed by 3rd base ump, throws glove into stands, and after the game calls the Mets "The worst F-ing team in MLB". Promptly DFA'D.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 09:52 AM   #153
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 05-30-2024, 09:58 AM   #154
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

It kind of sounds like he was saying "I'm the worst teammate in the MLB" and then had difficulty understanding the reporters follow up questions and it's just a confusing mess.

But I really do hope he said I'm on the worst team because that's as metsy as it getsy.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 10:36 AM   #155
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

The interview is a good example of why someone, like Vladdy, who can communicate in English but isn’t a native speaker wants to use a translator in media interviews. Accents and poor diction can lead to serious miscommunications.

Some reports are saying that he actually meant to say that he’s “the worst teammate on the worst team” which isn’t any better. His instagram explains that he did mean the worst teammate. I kind of heard that when I listened.

One interesting question would be: if a player with a translator said something in their native language that the translator knew was going to be very poorly received, would the translator try to soften it or potentially ignore it in the translation to protect the player/team? It’s a tough spot to put the translator in.

Last edited by ben voyonsdonc; 05-30-2024 at 10:39 AM.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2024, 04:25 PM   #156
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/mlb-pl...source=twitter

Quote:
NEW YORK - San Diego Padres infielder Tucupita Marcano is under investigation by Major League Baseball for allegedly betting on baseball and could be subject to a lifetime ban, according to a person familiar with the probe.
MLB is looking into allegations Marcano bet on games involving the Pittsburgh Pirates while on the team's injured list last season, according to the person who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 09:10 PM   #157
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m so glad the Jays got rid of Teoscar. We DEFINITELY didn’t need him.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote