Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2024, 10:42 PM   #141
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Every one of those 6 players is making at least $9.5 million a year.

Now let's see you ‘go get 100 overpaid vets’ who are making $9.5 million or more.

We'll wait.

…A very long time.
Please tell me this isn’t your argument? It’s almost too stupid to engage with. If you think I was saying the benchmark is de facto 9.5 I don’t know what to say.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:43 PM   #142
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kuzy interview on now, must see TV
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 10:44 PM   #143
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't think it is crazy to think Kuzy could score 50 in a season.
“Better sign him to a 20 year $30mm per year contract”

Certain posters logic
Old 04-12-2024, 10:44 PM   #144
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Please tell me this isn’t your argument? It’s almost too stupid to engage with. If you think I was saying the benchmark is de facto 9.5 I don’t know what to say.
You're the one saying that players with big salaries are usually overpaid based on past performance. OK, to prove that, let's look at the players with big salaries.

Obviously you think that's stupid, because you have to have everything spelled out for you in words of one syllable, and then you still pretend not to get it.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:44 PM   #145
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
And people want to extend streaky players in the middle of a hot streak to 8 year deals.
He's been in the NHL for 2 seasons. Got 40 last year, and he's on pace for 40 since being traded here.

If that's a hot steak, then sign me up.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 10:45 PM   #146
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“Better sign him to a 20 year $30mm per year contract”

Certain posters logic
Show me one person on CP who said anything like that about Kuzmenko.

Even leaving aside the idiotic exaggeration without which, it seems, you can't even try to make a point.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:47 PM   #147
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
And people want to extend streaky players in the middle of a hot streak to 8 year deals.
Holy hyperbole.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 11:00 PM   #148
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Show me one person on CP who said anything like that about Kuzmenko.

Even leaving aside the idiotic exaggeration without which, it seems, you can't even try to make a point.
You did, or implied it, rushing to the defense of Huberdeau’s horrendous contract. Yeah, tons of super bad contracts. Go have a browse around, I’m not doing it for you, there’s lots of examples. But then again you probably think those are good value.

Again a rookie just outscored a guy we’re paying $9mm more. It’s ridiculous, no matter how much of a Flames fan counterpoint need to debate guy you are. There are many, many, many other examples of overpaid players, not always that extreme, but go have a look. Here’s another, Mangiapane. Again, Zary makes 1/6 and is 3x the player.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:01 PM   #149
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ducks fry together
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 11:03 PM   #150
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Disagree. Most NHL players are paid for past performance. You put forth 6 superstars and say case closed and I could go get 100 overpaid vets.

Human nature. Guaranteed contracts. This is an easy one, take the L and move on.
Can you list these players. You should take the L and move on.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 11:05 PM   #151
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You did, or implied it, rushing to the defense of Huberdeau’s horrendous contract.
Nope, not what I did at all. I called you out for saying that big contracts USUALLY are bad.

Quote:
Yeah, tons of super bad contracts. Go have a browse around, I’m not doing it for you, there’s lots of examples. But then again you probably think those are good value.
There are 28 players in the NHL with a cap hit $9.5 million or more. Let's hear which ones (besides Huberdeau, obviously) you think are bad value. Hint: You won't find 100 of them.

Quote:
Again a rookie just outscored a guy we’re paying $9mm more. It’s ridiculous, no matter how much of a Flames fan counterpoint need to debate guy you are.
Huberdeau didn't get that contract for scoring goals. He got it for setting the record for assists by a LW. But apparently little details like that don't matter to you.

Quote:
There are many, many, many other examples of overpaid players, not always that extreme, but go have a look. Here’s another, Mangiapane. Again, Zary makes 1/6 and is 3x the player.
Again with Zary.

Here's some wild news that you obviously haven't heard before, bright guy:

Zary is on an ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT. He is NOT ALLOWED to be paid millions of dollars. But you can bet your boots he's getting a big raise on his next deal – and then you, no doubt, will be complaining that he, too, is overpaid based on past performance.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:05 PM   #152
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Not if I’m right tho, thanks for listing superstars lol
Old 04-12-2024, 11:06 PM   #153
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Jay random, I’m not setting the bar at 9.5 mm as the barometer of if it’s a bad contract. The fact I have to point this out is mindboggling

Also your point about Zary being a rookie actually is exactly my point but you need to put a little thought into it.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:07 PM   #154
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You did, or implied it, rushing to the defense of Huberdeau’s horrendous contract.
By the way, smart guy, you replied to the wrong post! You posted this in reply to my saying that nobody was calling for Kuzmenko to get (your exact words) ‘a 20 year $30mm per year contract’.

Do you practise really hard to beclown yourself like this, or does it come naturally?
Old 04-12-2024, 11:08 PM   #155
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Also are you saying that Huberdeau makes up his value because of all those assists he scores?

Aka you’re saying his contract is a good one then?
Old 04-12-2024, 11:09 PM   #156
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
By the way, smart guy, you replied to the wrong post! You posted this in reply to my saying that nobody was calling for Kuzmenko to get (your exact words) ‘a 20 year $30mm per year contract’.

Do you practise really hard to beclown yourself like this, or does it come naturally?
Haha ok, Huberdeau is great value. Great discussion.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:10 PM   #157
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jay random, I’m not setting the bar at 9.5 mm as the barometer of if it’s a bad contract. The fact I have to point this out is mindboggling
You are the one saying that most big contracts are bad.

Aarongavey listed six players on good value contracts who are all earning over $9.5 million.

If, as you seem to think, every player not on an ELC is overpaid (given your obsession with Zary), surely it's easy for you to explain why all the rest of the 28 players earning $9.5 million or more are overpaid.

Let's hear it. Fill your boots.

Quote:
Also your point about Zary being a rookie actually is exactly my point but you need to put a little thought into it.
So your exact point is that nobody should ever be paid more than a rookie because such contracts are bad value?

You just keep saying more and more foolish things.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:11 PM   #158
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha ok, Huberdeau is great value. Great discussion.
Now you're just doubling down on stupid. I pointed out that you replied with some lunacy about Huberdeau to a post that was not even about Huberdeau. Your answer? Another sarcastic crack about Huberdeau.

Why are you completely unable to keep two topics straight in your head?
Old 04-12-2024, 11:12 PM   #159
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Well we can talk about two things at once, let me know if you think Huberdeau has a good contract. I’ll go find some ####ty contracts for you hang on. Also no need to be such a dick, I know it’s super difficult of you but try to remember those self-control classes you presumably used to take.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:17 PM   #160
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also are you saying that Huberdeau makes up his value because of all those assists he scores?
If I meant to say that, I would have said it. Reading comprehension will be your friend if you let it.

Quote:
Aka you’re saying his contract is a good one then?
No, I didn't say that. I said that he GOT the contract because of all the assists he scored. That's a thing that happens in hockey. Playmakers get paid too.

But apparently you place no value on that, because you are saying Zary (13 goals, 32 points in 60 GP; 0.533 PPG) is a better offensive player than Huberdeau (12 goals, 52 points in 78 GP; 0.667 PPG). The sole evidence you give for that view is that 13 is greater than 12.

At no time did I say that Huberdeau has delivered good value on that contract since getting it. You're arguing with your imaginary friend on that one.