Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2020, 05:39 PM   #141
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
So....Bill Gates wants to take away the Sun?

Vitamin D is extremely readily available and cheap. It is commonly used in agriculture animal feed and water use, because, well, animals need vitamins too.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krynski For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 06:16 PM   #142
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know why celebrities and athletes tend to spew stuff they know nothing about. The only reasonable answer is ego and attention seeking. Certainly if dummies believe Theo, I don’t care, but when anyone says something that controversial, they should be posting proof aside a doofus’ blog. While the jury is still out on the effectiveness of the vaccine, which I’m sure another month in it’ll be clear, Fleury has his head up his butt. And I’m a person who really respects his playing days. Check your ego, Theo.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:20 PM   #143
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's high past time that we stop looking at sports figures and celebrities as anything other than what they are; good at something we're willing to pay money for.

It's not going to stop, but we should stop idolizing these people just because they're talented at something. Some are smart, some are not, but in reality unless it's something in their specialized field, why should we even care what they think?

I admire my neighbour's skill as a woodworker but that doesn't mean I have to listen to his views on anything else.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #144
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krynski View Post
So....Bill Gates wants to take away the Sun?
He's vanquished all his enemies: The elementary school, the local tavern, and the old age home.

But he can't be proud. Not while his greatest nemesis still provides customers with free light, heat, and energy.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #145
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
I think it's high past time that we stop looking at sports figures and celebrities as anything other than what they are; good at something we're willing to pay money for.

It's not going to stop, but we should stop idolizing these people just because they're talented at something. Some are smart, some are not, but in reality unless it's something in their specialized field, why should we even care what they think?

I admire my neighbour's skill as a woodworker but that doesn't mean I have to listen to his views on anything else.
I agree to a certain extent, but a person who is in the public spotlight and chooses to participate in social media should be under scrutiny for what false crap they decide to spew out into the the world. Your neighbour likely isn't a social media influencer or have a huge social media following.

It's best to leave things to professionals or at least those who are not ignorant, and unfortunately a lot of "social media influencers" spew off things that they don't even care to fact check. They have a following regardless, but also have a social responsibility to be a role model. If you want to keep your life private, fine, but when you choose to be present in social media you should be held accountable for your actions because kids and adults of all shapes, colours, intelligence, education, etc. may be following every single word.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:30 PM   #146
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree to a certain extent, but a person who is in the public spotlight and chooses to participate in social media should be under scrutiny for what false crap they decide to spew out into the the world. Your neighbour likely isn't a social media influencer or have a huge social media following.

It's best to leave things to professionals or at least those who are not ignorant, and unfortunately a lot of "social media influencers" spew off things that they don't even care to fact check. They have a following regardless, but also have a social responsibility to be a role model. If you want to keep your life private, fine, but when you choose to be present in social media you should be held accountable for your actions because kids and adults of all shapes, colours, intelligence, education, etc. may be following every single word.
Well, this is where the world is getting f’d. Real experts are pushed aside in favour of tik toks and blogs that keep things catchy and succinct, but with little backing or research. Parents and such should be the ones educating their kids to think critically about this stuff but you now see it creep into adult life through LinkedIn garbage posts in the same way where adults fall into the same trap. While I don’t have kids, I can say I don’t give a poop what celebrity said as it shouldn’t affect kids thoughts. But celebrities should be criticized by media which doesn’t tend to step on their toes either.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #147
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I thought I de-railed and killed this thread. Why is it still going?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:37 PM   #148
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I thought I de-railed and killed this thread. Why is it still going?
Almost, looked like a certainty, but you didn’t close the deal.

Kinda like the Canucks eh?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #149
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Well sure, but that's the problem. If 14 million people like Theoren Fleury as a hockey player or Eric Clapton as a singer or Matthew McConaughey as an actor, why should their views on Corona or lockdowns or masks or anything be important? Why should the fact that they have all these followers make what they're saying relevant? Why can't we separate Theoren Fleury the hockey player from Theoren Fleury the wingnut?

Fleury should be responsible for what he puts out there, but why on earth are people accepting that because he could score goals in hockey game, he's an expert on everything?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 08:10 PM   #150
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fleury should be responsible for what he puts out there, but why on earth are people accepting that because he could score goals in hockey game, he's an expert on everything?
I'm accepting that everyone has an opinion good or bad. I don't follow Fleury on social media because I really don't care what athletes have to say that's non-sports related. Sounds like he's saying some dumb things but that has no bearing on his playing days when he was one of the only reasons to watch the Flames in the 90's. He was a fantastic player and that's how I choose to think of him as if I turned my back on everyone that makes dumb comments in social media I would have to cut loose over half the people I went to school, hung out with, worked with, etc as well as some family.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2020, 08:13 PM   #151
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Well sure, but that's the problem. If 14 million people like Theoren Fleury as a hockey player or Eric Clapton as a singer or Matthew McConaughey as an actor, why should their views on Corona or lockdowns or masks or anything be important? Why should the fact that they have all these followers make what they're saying relevant? Why can't we separate Theoren Fleury the hockey player from Theoren Fleury the wingnut?

You're absolutely right, people should not be getting hung up on what celebs think about these sorts of things.......except for Ja Rule of course.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:26 PM   #152
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think most of us do. We just hoped that one of our heroes wouldn't use their influence to be a dangerous lunatic.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 12:15 AM   #153
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Lol, of course.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1347767862820159488

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 12:16 AM   #154
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Lol I'm surprised he wasn't at the Capitol.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:18 AM   #155
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was. You didn’t see him sliding down the hall on his knees?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 01:09 AM   #156
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember a story where a few days before the 97 draft Fleury was asked if he thought the Flames were hoping to nab Sergei Samsonov with the 6th overall pick.

Fleurys answer was "I hope not, I hear he's a flake and a bit of a nutjob"

Amazing
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 01:46 AM   #157
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I remember a story where a few days before the 97 draft Fleury was asked if he thought the Flames were hoping to nab Sergei Samsonov with the 6th overall pick.

Fleurys answer was "I hope not, I hear he's a flake and a bit of a nutjob"

Amazing
What a terrible draft that was for the Flames.

12 picks and 26 NHL games played (Tkaczuk 19, Ready 7). That includes one 1st rounder (6th overall), three 2nd rounders and two 3rd rounders.

It was a pretty weak draft in general, but we really nailed it.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:06 AM   #158
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Tkaczuk was a fantastic prospect and exactly what the team needed..........a very good two-way center that was Captain material and had a huge year with Barrie. He kinda fell into their laps when the Isles took Brewer ahead of them, it was a no-brainer pick, I remember being stunned and so excited when they got him.

Just brutal luck for him and the team with his concussion issues. What could have been......

But the Flames are making that same pick 10 times out of 10. Just horrible luck, injury wise.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 02:08 AM   #159
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

And back on topic.................what a fall from grace for one of my all time fave Flames in Fleury. He's always had issues, but to see his political views today, it's just sad.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2021, 12:32 PM   #160
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anybody in his close circle of normal friends thought of an intervention or something?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote