Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #141
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I checked the standings and things are looking a bit less bleak every day, even when the Flames aren't playing.

Winnipeg now has the same amount of games played and points as the Flames. There's one team we've caught up to.

Dallas has 1 less game played and the same amount of points. That's another team we've pretty much caught up to.

Vancouver has 2 less games played and 2 less points. Safe to say they will lose at least one of those games in hand. One more team we've caught up to.

Colorado and Phoenix both with 4 less games played and 5 less points. Both of them are under .500 and very unlikely to go on hot streaks so we're fine.

That said, it seems we're officially a bubble team now and in the mix. We just need to catch up in points percentage with the teams that do currently hold playoff spots.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #142
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
I checked the standings and things are looking a bit less bleak every day, even when the Flames aren't playing.

Winnipeg now has the same amount of games played and points as the Flames. There's one team we've caught up to.

Dallas has 1 less game played and the same amount of points. That's another team we've pretty much caught up to.

Vancouver has 2 less games played and 2 less points. Safe to say they will lose at least one of those games in hand. One more team we've caught up to.

Colorado and Phoenix both with 4 less games played and 5 less points. Both of them are under .500 and very unlikely to go on hot streaks so we're fine.

That said, it seems we're officially a bubble team now and in the mix. We just need to catch up in points percentage with the teams that do currently hold playoff spots.
Yup - always in the mix - that's the Calgary Flames over the past 10 years or so. When you look at the current standings, you have to place more weight on the fact that the Flames are behind teams to get into a wildcard spot. It is very difficult to move past teams in the 3 point NHL without going on a very long winning streak. Nothing short of a minimum 6 game winning streak will get the Flames back into a real playoff spot, and even that might not be enough. The only team in the top 8 that Calgary can likely catch is Edmonton. And to do so, Calgary has to beat out Dallas and Winnipeg - and probably battle it out with Colorado and Edmonton as well by the end of it. Possible, but not very likely. Gassing it in October and November kills you just about every time. Its why there will be lots of available seats in the dome this winter.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #143
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might be one of the only ones that thinks a 6 game winning streak isn't THAT unlikely for us.. Or at least an 8-2 stretch. Once Johnny is back I think.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #144
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Yup - always in the mix - that's the Calgary Flames over the past 10 years or so. When you look at the current standings, you have to place more weight on the fact that the Flames are behind teams to get into a wildcard spot. It is very difficult to move past teams in the 3 point NHL without going on a very long winning streak. Nothing short of a minimum 6 game winning streak will get the Flames back into a real playoff spot, and even that might not be enough. The only team in the top 8 that Calgary can likely catch is Edmonton. And to do so, Calgary has to beat out Dallas and Winnipeg - and probably battle it out with Colorado and Edmonton as well by the end of it. Possible, but not very likely. Gassing it in October and November kills you just about every time. Its why there will be lots of available seats in the dome this winter.

Quite the gloomy post, but that's nothing new from you.

Guess what? Calgary's next 5 games are teams either ahead of us or below us. These are 4 point games and if we win even 3/5 we'll be in a better position than we are in now.

There is plenty of time to make up just a few extra wins than the other teams we're fighting with. It's not like we're down to the home stretch. The team has been playing great lately which should give hope to even the biggest pessimists on this site.

If Chad was our starter all year we'd be in a playoff position right now. He's had the numbers of an elite starting goalie for a full calendar year now.

And all this while having the worst special teams in the league. If our special teams gets to a league average level, we'll be dominating games.

Also, we're a team that rolls 4 lines and 3 D-pairings. I guarantee the Flames are not going to be 'gassed' because they faced adversity early in the year and came up on top.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #145
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Actually, it's not that hard to move past teams in the standings in the 3 point NHL. It usually happens multiple times every single night. Things will keep shuffling around for another 50+ games just like every year, and even last season the Flames briefly found themselves in a playoff spot at one time in december, so it's really not that far fetched at all. I just hope that what we are seeing now is a Flames team that has started to find their footing. If that is the case, I would say it's very likely they can get into the playoffs. It won't require a 6-game win streak, even if that would be great of course.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #146
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure I completely agree. The season can definitely still be salvaged, especially considering how bad some of the Western teams have been this year. If teams like Edmonton, LA, Minny, Nashville, Dallas, and Winnipeg continue to be average or terrible, I think the playoffs are still a definite possibility, provided the Flames can start stringing a few wins together.

That being said, the Flames clearly still have problems with their game, most notably their god-awful PP. But if they can improve in that area and find a way to start producing more offence, anything is possible. Especially with a guy like Chad Johnson in net. I also have a feeling Gaudreau will be extra motivated when he gets back in the lineup.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #147
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Quite the gloomy post, but that's nothing new from you.

Guess what? Calgary's next 5 games are teams either ahead of us or below us. These are 4 point games and if we win even 3/5 we'll be in a better position than we are in now.

There is plenty of time to make up just a few extra wins than the other teams we're fighting with. It's not like we're down to the home stretch. The team has been playing great lately which should give hope to even the biggest pessimists on this site.

If Chad was our starter all year we'd be in a playoff position right now. He's had the numbers of an elite starting goalie for a full calendar year now.

And all this while having the worst special teams in the league. If our special teams gets to a league average level, we'll be dominating games.

Also, we're a team that rolls 4 lines and 3 D-pairings. I guarantee the Flames are not going to be 'gassed' because they faced adversity early in the year and came up on top.
Isn't every team in the NHL either ahead of us or below us? ; )
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #148
hummdeedoo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm quite optimistic with the last 10 games going 6-3-1. The defense has really stabilized. If the PP can improve just a little bit that's really going to help. I think Gaudreau's going to be great when he gets back - maybe take a few games to get adjusted but I think he knows he doesn't have to do it all by himself - We can win without him but we're a better team when he's in the lineup.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #149
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
If teams like Edmonton, LA, Minny, Nashville, Dallas, and Winnipeg continue to be average or terrible
Exactly - this is not likely to happen - and is probably statistically not even possible but i'll let someone else here spend their day running the stats to figure it out if needed. I'm pretty sure one or more of these teams will string wins together and stay ahead of us.

As others have stated multiple time - the benchmark is 12 points per 10 games or 6 points per 5 games - whichever you prefer. Winning 3 of the next 4, still leaves the Flames 6 points off the pace.

Hope and optimism sells tickets, and so fair enough. But i've seen this show too many times to be an optimist with this group.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #150
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Isn't every team in the NHL either ahead of us or below us? ; )
I knew someone was going to call me out on not specifying that part further .

To clarify, these are 5 Western Conference opponents that we'll be battling for a wild card or pacific division spot with. These games are extra important as a win not only means 2 points, but a wasted game played for the opposition which is almost just as meaningful right now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 01:55 PM   #151
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummdeedoo View Post
I'm quite optimistic with the last 10 games going 6-3-1. The defense has really stabilized. If the PP can improve just a little bit that's really going to help. I think Gaudreau's going to be great when he gets back - maybe take a few games to get adjusted but I think he knows he doesn't have to do it all by himself - We can win without him but we're a better team when he's in the lineup.
For what it's worth, if the Flames maintained a 6-3-1 pace for the rest of the season, they would end up with 97 points, presumably safely in a playoff spot.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #152
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
For what it's worth, if the Flames maintained a 6-3-1 pace for the rest of the season, they would end up with 97 points, presumably safely in a playoff spot.
For sure - and we've seen plenty of reasons so far to believe this is likely
Old 12-02-2016, 01:58 PM   #153
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly - this is not likely to happen - and is probably statistically not even possible but i'll let someone else here spend their day running the stats to figure it out if needed. I'm pretty sure one or more of these teams will string wins together and stay ahead of us.

As others have stated multiple time - the benchmark is 12 points per 10 games or 6 points per 5 games - whichever you prefer. Winning 3 of the next 4, still leaves the Flames 6 points off the pace.

Hope and optimism sells tickets, and so fair enough. But i've seen this show too many times to be an optimist with this group.
Why can't the Flames be the team to string wins together? They are the 2nd hottest team in the western conference right now. They were also projected to finish 2nd in the Pacific division by trusted hockey analysts whose full time job is to make these educated predictions.

As a supposed Flames fan that's what you should be hoping for. Otherwise start cheering for a new team because following sports isn't supposed to be some terrible experience for the fan.

I really don't understand people like you who actively cheer against the Flames. Looking at your history, you are the kind of poster who is the first to speak up after a loss, but won't even acknowledge a win. I'm not sure how you can possibly consider yourself a Flames fan...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #154
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
For sure - and we've seen plenty of reasons so far to believe this is likely
Alright it's obvious you are just here to troll rather than listen to reason, but I'll bite this one last uneducated post.

Chad Johnson's record this season: 8-4-0. So if he maintains his play we'll be making the playoffs. And if Elliott finds his game then bonus.

There is one reason to believe and it's a pretty valid one.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:05 PM   #155
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Alright it's obvious you are just here to troll rather than listen to reason, but I'll bite this one last uneducated post.

Chad Johnson's record this season: 8-4-0. So if he maintains his play we'll be making the playoffs. And if Elliott finds his game then bonus.

There is one reason to believe and it's a pretty valid one.
We agree on that - Chad Johnson has been good and here's hoping he ends up being a good find. I'm no troll - just a hardened Calgary sports fan who's endured plenty more downs than ups over the years. Over and out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #156
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I am looking at the Pacific division as there will be less teams to leap frog (and you play them more directly so it has a greater influence). I think there are 3 teams battling for that last spot. I would target LA (because of their injuries) and Edmonton. Both within 4 points and we play LA 4 times and Edmonton 2 times still. WC would be plan B, but would probably have an extra team to complete with.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #157
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Personally I am looking at the Pacific division as there will be less teams to leap frog (and you play them more directly so it has a greater influence). I think there are 3 teams battling for that last spot. I would target LA (because of their injuries) and Edmonton. Both within 4 points and we play LA 4 times and Edmonton 2 times still. WC would be plan B, but would probably have an extra team to complete with.

I think the chance of beating out LA is low, but existent.

In my mind, we're competing with Dallas and Nashville for a WC spot, if the playoffs are in our future.

Edmonton is a dead fish. Vancouver and Colorado suck, and Winnipeg has punched way above their weight and even that hasn't put them in a playoff spot yet.

I'm looking at the teams we're up against and despite our games played... I think we have a shot.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #158
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

ATTENTION EVERYONE

Spoiler!
Old 12-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #159
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Why can't the Flames be the team to string wins together? They are the 2nd hottest team in the western conference right now. They were also projected to finish 2nd in the Pacific division by trusted hockey analysts whose full time job is to make these educated predictions.

As a supposed Flames fan that's what you should be hoping for. Otherwise start cheering for a new team because following sports isn't supposed to be some terrible experience for the fan.

I really don't understand people like you who actively cheer against the Flames. Looking at your history, you are the kind of poster who is the first to speak up after a loss, but won't even acknowledge a win. I'm not sure how you can possibly consider yourself a Flames fan...
Bruce Boudreaux expected us to be first in the Pacific.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #160
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a snake to stop all the talk that has nothing to do with snakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:

Tags
mcsnake , playoffs , snake , snakey , win