Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What to do with Rasmus ...
Trade him regardless 77 42.08%
Sign him to 8 year contract 22 12.02%
Draw the line at 7 years or trade 7 3.83%
Draw the line at 6 years or trade 38 20.77%
Draw the line at 5 years or trade 27 14.75%
Draw the line at 4 years or trade 12 6.56%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2024, 04:25 PM   #141
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

My option isn't on the list. He is still under contract for 2 more seasons, so no point in discussing an extension at this point. I say keep him next season and see how it goes from there. I wouldn't rush out to trade him before then, but having said that, if a deal comes along that knocks your socks off, then do it.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:07 PM   #142
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
If you want a burn it down 10+ yr rebuild, yes.

Otherwise it’s nuckin futs.

No one can replace him and maybe you get a pick and a prospect. Chances are neither ever play.
Why can't anyone replace him? Have people honestly not watched him the last 2 seasons? He is very replaceable. Useless on the pp, looks slow.

I would trade him ASAP as he looks to be aging very poorly.

Last edited by Zary's-Mustache; 05-24-2024 at 05:18 PM.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 05:13 PM   #143
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Only for an established, young replacement IMO.

Example: Detroit for Sandin-Pellikka seems like a deal that would benefit both sides.
The established dman they picked last year? I would be fine with an established player they pick this year.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:06 PM   #144
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Why can't anyone replace him? Have people honestly not watched him the last 2 seasons? He is very replaceable. Useless on the pp, looks slow.

My problem with extending Anderson in a nutshell. I just dont think he will age very well, never a great skater to start with.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 08:38 PM   #145
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade him at any time this season if there is an overpayment. A team would, especially one that is trying to make a push in the Atlantic. Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, all need him.

I am very leery on giving him the 8 year extension, but I also know how valuable it is to have a top pairing RD.

My honest answer is seeing the development of our current D prospects. If I can see significant improvement from Brzu, Morin, Poirier, then maybe I bite the bullet and trade Rasmus for a ransom and sign a stopgap UFA for 2-4 seasons.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:53 PM   #146
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Would have zero problem trading him. I think every year he plays is going to show his decline. If you can get a first and second i think you do it. We arent an Anderson or necas away from being really competitive. Bite the bullet. Sign a short term rfa.

Last edited by Fan69; 05-24-2024 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:29 AM   #147
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I do think recent history should probably trump longer term history when it comes to what to expect from the Flames.

1) New GM
2) Gaudreau exodus
3) Huberdeau contract
4) All the UFAs wanting out

I think all of those factors may have them thinking more in terms of asset and cap management ... or at least it should.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2024, 12:16 PM   #148
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post

The whole team has been poo for 2 years. I’m not convinced aging has anything to do with it.

There is no one in the system that can take his minutes, nor will the team find an equivalent or better player in the same price range in free agency.

The team can always tank. It’s the easiest thing in the sporting world. If that’s the goal, sure trade him. If not you keep him.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 01:18 PM   #149
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Options based on term only? Soonest I trade him is this upcoming trade deadline, unless he requests a trade. I don't see a good return coming at the draft or free agency period but maybe a team overpays at the deadline.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:59 PM   #150
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
The whole team has been poo for 2 years. I’m not convinced aging has anything to do with it.

There is no one in the system that can take his minutes, nor will the team find an equivalent or better player in the same price range in free agency.

The team can always tank. It’s the easiest thing in the sporting world. If that’s the goal, sure trade him. If not you keep him.
The team will likely remain no better than the last two years.

Better to trade him now before his trade value becomes quite a bit less.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 02:21 PM   #151
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’d do Anderson and Calgarys late first round pick for Ottawas 7th if the right player was still available.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 02:24 PM   #152
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give up a top pairing defenseman in his prime on a bargain contract for two more seasons to move up 21 spots in the draft....**skin crawling**

Then watch the 7th overall bust while 28th overall actually becomes a player, which is actually a thing that could realistically happen.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2024, 02:41 PM   #153
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The team will likely remain no better than the last two years.

Better to trade him now before his trade value becomes quite a bit less.
My take as well. i just dont see anderson aging well. He was never all that fleet of foot.
Old 05-29-2024, 02:44 PM   #154
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't be signing 28 year olds long term, even though we are two years away. Might as well move him now while his value league wide is somewhat high. Love Rasmus, but he's on the wrong side age wise with what this team wants to do
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Pedro For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2024, 02:57 PM   #155
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames will treat the Andersson situation exactly like they did with their previous two pending FA d men. Let them decide if they want to stay and lay out their contract offer.

It'll be up to Andersson. The Flames will want him to stay but at their price.
Old 05-29-2024, 04:08 PM   #156
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I like Ras and think he's on a great contract right now, but IMO we should be trading him this year if we can. There's 2 years of great value for the acquiring team and he could more than likely have the best two seasons of his career considering defensemen tend to peak around 28-32 yrs old.

I just worry about the next contract, and I think we take a few more swings at high ceiling defensemen over the next few drafts. Also we have a few guys in the system that might be able to achieve the same offensive totals if they're given the opportunity.

At the end of the day though, I think management will look at Ras as a guy that loves Calgary and plays hard - so I'm sure he stays. I think the shadow of what happened with Johnny and Tkachuck still looms over this team and we won't be seeing guys moved who like it here (Exceptions being Markstrom and hopefully Mang. this summer).
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 04:16 PM   #157
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
I’d do Anderson and Calgarys late first round pick for Ottawas 7th if the right player was still available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Give up a top pairing defenseman in his prime on a bargain contract for two more seasons to move up 21 spots in the draft....**skin crawling**

Then watch the 7th overall bust while 28th overall actually becomes a player, which is actually a thing that could realistically happen.
I'm struggling with this board's obsession with giving up the 28th overall in a trade...its like we don't like having a surplus of 1st rounders.

If you're moving Andersson for a pick in that 7-15 range you shouldn't have to add a pick.

There are similar trades in recent years that would show that his value is beyond that amount even...let alone having to add to it.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-29-2024 at 04:28 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2024, 04:21 PM   #158
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I'm struggling with this board's obsession with giving up the 28th overall in a trade...its like we don't like having a surplus of 1st rounders.

If you're moving Andersson for a pick in that 8-15 range you shouldn't have to add a pick.

There are similar trades in recent years that would show that his value is beyond that amount even...let alone having to add to it.
Yes if Hronek is worth a first and a second coming off a 38 point season and Chychrun is worth a 1st and two seconds after being a 40 point dman for the two years before his trade and admittedly having a real good year the year he was traded surely Anderson coming off 50,49 and 39 point seasons does not need to have a 1st rounder added to him to move up 21 spots. The trade for Ottawa if they want Anderson is 7th for Anderson and maybe one of the two third round picks.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2024, 04:29 PM   #159
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

If you're moving Andersson for a pick in that 7-15 range you shouldn't have to add a pick.

Andersson for 7th overall seems about fair value in my eyes if someone is interested in those final 2 years of his deal at that value.

Hanifin just returned a (likely late'ish) future 1st, 3rd, and a depth defenceman. Is Andersson better? I actually don't think so - but I do think those two years at $4.55M have decent value.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-29-2024 at 04:33 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 04:40 PM   #160
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Andersson for 7th overall seems about fair value in my eyes if someone is interested in those final 2 years of his deal at that value.

Hanifin just returned a (likely late'ish) future 1st, 3rd, and a depth defenceman. Is Andersson better? I actually don't think so - but I do think those two years at $4.55M have decent value.
Looking at recent trades...

Hronek: 1st and 4th - they traded the pick that was the Islanders, who at the time held the 14th overall draft selection (ended up 17th overall)

Chychrun: 1st and 2 2nds - they traded their own pick which ended up being 12th overall and they were positioned at 12th overall pick at the time of the trade.

Romanov: Islanders traded the 13th overall pick for Romanov + 98

Debrincat: 7th overall + 39th overall + 2024 3rd rounder

So I feel like if it's pick 7 or 8 for Andersson it would probably have to be the pick straight up with no additional picks.

But if it was in the 10-15 range I think you should get at least another 2nd added.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote