Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #141
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Plus we have no idea any future role Edric may play.

I think Martin adds some characters for no reason other than to show the motivations of the main characters while he isn't in their POV.
Edric's role is revealed more in Book 5, iirc.

Martin has said a couple times that he never expected this series to be anywhere near a tv or movie, and that it's "Easy to add characters when you need someone" in a book. He wasn't expecting to have to cast them all.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #142
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Just got throught the Red Wedding on my re-read. I think what I hated most about it was that we were so close to seeing Arya finally seeing her mother and brother. I feel bad for her. She has been disconnected from the world for so long she has no idea what is happening. It was easier this time knowing what was going to happen.

Further to that, I'm glad I'm past it because it was overshadowing the first 680 pages or so. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed reading this time because so much more was clear to me the second go around but I just want to get on with the story. Since page one I've been anticipating the RW.

And I can't wait for book 4. I really enjoyed it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #143
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simply put, people in the book TV Show thread have no idea what is coming up and what isn't. Let them watch in peace.

Anyways - the stealing of the dragons was quite a change.

And the guy who plays Theon seems to be doing a great job.

And Ygritte is hot.

So they're changing Jon's love interest? And they've pretty much cut out anything related to River Run.

And I can't believe that is 6 of the 10 episodes complete.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #144
Arbitor
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Simply put, people in the book TV Show thread have no idea what is coming up and what isn't. Let them watch in peace.

Anyways - the stealing of the dragons was quite a change.

And the guy who plays Theon seems to be doing a great job.

And Ygritte is hot.

So they're changing Jon's love interest? And they've pretty much cut out anything related to River Run.

And I can't believe that is 6 of the 10 episodes complete.
You mean Robb. Since he didn't really have anything to do in the second book, i'm ok with the change. I heard on another forum that apparently the producers confirmed Riverrun for next season.

They've also cut out the Reeds.
Arbitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #145
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was never a big fan of the Riverrun stuff in Book 2 anyhow. From what I can remember (though it's getting into 're-read the series time') Riverrun itself is never so important that somewhere else couldn't be substituted for what needs to happen.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #146
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apparently my memory of the books is terrible and it might be time for a re-read but did Jon get separated from Qhorin in the books? I thought he just ended up letting Ygritte go and then ran into her again when they come across Rattleshirt.

Obviously the Reeds have been replaced by the wildling, whatever her name is, which is kind of disappointing because I found them quite interesting in the books but with the sheer number of characters is understandable.

I'm really not looking forward to the red wedding, I was so pissed when I read it and I don't imagine seeing it is going to be any less infuriating. Though I am very excited for the reaction in the other thread.

I assume the dragon theft is the warlocks and that it is setting up for a little extra drama for the whole dragons destroying the House of the Undying thing.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #147
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Apparently my memory of the books is terrible and it might be time for a re-read but did Jon get separated from Qhorin in the books? I thought he just ended up letting Ygritte go and then ran into her again when they come across Rattleshirt.
Yeah the Halfhand just said something to the effect of "do what must be done" and Jon just let her go, when he got back and told him what happened Halfhand was just like that's what needed to be done then. More or less.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #148
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitor View Post
You mean Robb. Since he didn't really have anything to do in the second book, i'm ok with the change. I heard on another forum that apparently the producers confirmed Riverrun for next season.

They've also cut out the Reeds.
Sorry, yeah.

Some of the changes I wondered about, however seeing that they aren't just removing some characters but altering the events fairly markedly while still following the overall story seems to be working fairly well.
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #149
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't like how robb is going to fall for that volantene girl instead of the other girl in the books. The reason is that then it won't be seen as a master plan of tywin.

I also don't know if I like what they're doing with tywin making him not so despicable. His death is a major payoff.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #150
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Getting rid of the Reeds is interesting. I assume that the wildling will head north with Bran instead of keeping Rickon safe. But that could be confusing as Martin hasn't yet written much on the arc of Rickon/wildling once they split up so I wonder if the book 6/7 has her playing a role down south that she will now be unable to do.

If they do send the wildling north I wonder if the writers have confirmed with GRRM that it won't cause a major headache working it into his unwritten books? (I like to think that GRRM has provided a plot outline to the writers for the rest of the series so that they don't write themselves into a corner. That would also mean that they can publish something if GRRM takes too long and doesn't finish.)
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #151
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the Volantene girl will likely turn out to be the same person. It seems like she is lying about her name/birthplace.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #152
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Ok so it looks like this is the new place for us to talk about the show.

So is this thread going to combine both TV and books? Should we just start a new GOT tv show with spoilers thread?

Actually there isn't even enough book only discussion for it to warrant a new thread. Just let this one be about the TV show with some book talk.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #153
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought this thread was to talk about both the books and the show.

Leave the other thread to those who haven't read the books.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #154
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I thought this thread was to talk about both the books and the show.

Leave the other thread to those who haven't read the books.
If it wasn't we've been doing it wrong for 90% of the thread.
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #155
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I really liked the Reed angle, seemed to be someone that most people laughed at but Ned Stark really respected.

Anyone that Ned Stark respected must be a good man. I have a feeling the Reed family is yet to play a part in the story.

My theory is that, Jon Snow is in fact going to rise again as the red priest god or whatever, and he will be a major player in this story. But, he isn't the son of a Targaryen. He was a decoy ####### given to Ned Stark by his sister to draw attention away from her real son, who was given to Howlen Reed and taken to his castle. That is why they are mentioned and in the book so we have some back story, but we don't know much about Howlen or his castle yet. They will come into play at a later date.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #156
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

As to the other thread, I didn't want to say anything there, but something as simple as saying that it didn't happen in the books is still a spoiler. If you tell them that her dragons weren't taken from her in the book than you are giving away the fact that she is almost certainly going to get them back right away.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #157
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
As to the other thread, I didn't want to say anything there, but something as simple as saying that it didn't happen in the books is still a spoiler. If you tell them that her dragons weren't taken from her in the book than you are giving away the fact that she is almost certainly going to get them back right away.
Yeah fair enough, lets just move on and focus on talking the show.

This debate of what is and isn't a spoiler is pointless.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #158
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how much the changes in the TV show are hints about what happens later in the books?

If characters are seemingly dropped from the show, he can't really just bring them in for their major plot point, can he? That would seem a lot like deus ex machina. I don't think we have seen Edmure yet - who is going to be married at the Red Wedding?
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #159
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Anyways, on topic, I can see a lot of the changes becoming troublesome, a la Harry Potter, when they get to the end and realize characters that they cut out are essential and it ends up cluttering up later seasons.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #160
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do like the switch with the dragons, I never understood why she went in the house of undying before and my guess is that is where the dragons were taken
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming