Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2022, 08:22 AM   #141
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Daughter started antibiotics for conjunctivitis in her right eye on November 4th and finished on the 10th. This morning I woke up at 3 am with conjunctivitis in my right eye…. Great.

Went to get her up and ready for day care this morning and she has conjunctivitis now in her left eye! Guess we’re staying home! Ugh!

Still feeling pretty crappy from the flu or whatever this was. Nose seems to finally be clearing up so at least I can breathe.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 08:26 AM   #142
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I've started wearing masks again when in busy public areas for sure. Getting my kids to when we're out and about as much as possible as well, even just to keep hygiene at top of mind as much as possible.

At school, we're not having my Grade 2'er wear a mask since with gym, lunch, etc, it's not going to make a difference.

My toddler is too young to keep a mask on all day, which sucks since she's in daycare, and that's the biggest germ factory of them all.
And now the Grade 2'er is home sick. 2 year may have had it over the weekend, but it's hitting the older one a lot harder.

Hoping my wife and I can avoid it
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 08:48 AM   #143
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So we were all completely out for well over a week with unknown virus. 1 or 2 days into thinking we were over it and we are all hit with what seems like the stomach flu?!? We have had virtually no contact with anyone in quite a while though, but this can’t possibly still be the first illness.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 08:58 AM   #144
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have honestly never had a flu shot in my life simply because for whatever reason I just don't seem to catch colds or the flu. Can't remember the last time I had a cold, the flu...30 years plus?...BUT I am thinking about getting the flu shot this year...so many people getting sick.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:21 AM   #145
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cripes just get it.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 09:23 AM   #146
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Cripes just get it.

Roger that
Old 11-15-2022, 09:36 AM   #147
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
I have honestly never had a flu shot in my life simply because for whatever reason I just don't seem to catch colds or the flu. Can't remember the last time I had a cold, the flu...30 years plus?...BUT I am thinking about getting the flu shot this year...so many people getting sick.
I hear you. I can't ever remember having the flu since I was a kid so looking at 40+ years since I've had it but I did start getting the flu shot a couple of years ago. Not really sure why I didn't get them before as I've never been anti-vax and I don't experience flu-like symptoms from the shots, anyway.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:36 AM   #148
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Have a newborn and a kiddo in daycare. Have kept the kiddo home for the last 3 weeks, and the more I read about RSV and ER wait times, the more I'm afraid of sending kiddo back..
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:42 AM   #149
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Have a newborn and a kiddo in daycare. Have kept the kiddo home for the last 3 weeks, and the more I read about RSV and ER wait times, the more I'm afraid of sending kiddo back..
Yeah I don't blame you, a buddy of mine said it was approximately 1-2 hours just to see a doctor to get through triage and then approximately 8-10 hours after that... they ended up going to Foothills instead.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:49 AM   #150
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I hear you. I can't ever remember having the flu since I was a kid so looking at 40+ years since I've had it but I did start getting the flu shot a couple of years ago. Not really sure why I didn't get them before as I've never been anti-vax and I don't experience flu-like symptoms from the shots, anyway.

Same here, not anti vax at all, common sense tells me to start with annual flu shots so I guess that's that. I am going to hold off on the latest Covid booster for a bit...I tested positive Dec 23/22 and then again Sept 4/22. first go round was a bitch, second time no big deal.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:50 AM   #151
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got hit the lightest out of our recent COVID round, but yeah we're keeping the kid home from daycare for the foreseeable future.

It just doesn't seem like a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 09:51 AM   #152
ooogabooga
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

COVID round 2 for our family again. Hit way worse for me this time than the first time.
ooogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:02 AM   #153
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
Same here, not anti vax at all, common sense tells me to start with annual flu shots so I guess that's that. I am going to hold off on the latest Covid booster for a bit...I tested positive Dec 23/22 and then again Sept 4/22. first go round was a bitch, second time no big deal.
At the same time, I've been working on strengthening my immune system. I'm up to three sets of 10 immune-up reps.
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 10:24 AM   #154
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I felt like my kids have been sick on and off for like 9 months. I've had the worst cold of my life couple months ago. Everything is going to hell in a handbasket. I share Elrond's sentiments about our species:

CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:24 AM   #155
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At the same time, I've been working on strengthening my immune system. I'm up to three sets of 10 immune-up reps.
Strength training? Maybe try to change it up and do some interval training.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:28 AM   #156
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flus are definitely rarer than other common respiratory infections. I think the average for an adult is about once every 5 years for the flu, and sometimes that comes with little to no symptoms. So it's totally possible you haven't knowingly had it in decades.

And that's the fear with COVID. Even if we ignore the severity of it and just treat it similarly to the flu, people are getting it way more often than they ever get the flu, and that can have long-term health implications.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:29 AM   #157
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The youts tell me that strengthening your immune system is all in how many toilet seats you lick.

If such information is to be believed then they can have fun outliving me because I aint doing that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:37 AM   #158
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
We're in the same boat. Our daughter's (3 years) attendance to Montessori has been very sporadic these past few weeks. We're considering making her wear a mask when we decide to send her back - just not sure if she'll actually keep it on.

Our nine month old has, thankfully, not picked up anything from our daughter. He just recently got over some cold/flu and we don't want to go through that again (sucking snot out of his noes while he flails around was horrible).
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 11:06 AM   #159
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The youts tell me that strengthening your immune system is all in how many toilet seats you lick.

If such information is to be believed then they can have fun outliving me because I aint doing that.
That's how I've avoided getting STI's. That and not having sex seems to have done the trick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 11:20 AM   #160
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

As I got older I visited pubs, clubs and bars far less and subsequently had far less contagion issues. Didn't realize how often I was getting sick from shoulder-to-shoulder weekend parties until I aged out of those places. I wouldn't even lump restaurants into that because most people at restaurants are sitting down and not moving around.

Still love a good brewery patio though
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote