Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #1561
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
Both need to happen at the same time. NC, and SE both would share the same downtown stations, most likely underground in a subway configuration.
Yes they would, but NC gets into a sizeable residential catchment a lot faster, and pretty much stays in one all the way to Paramount. SE is really just serving a narrow slice of Calgary, whereas NC would anchor a wider area. Plus, I might actually use it.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #1562
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The SE Line doesn't have as large of a residential catchment, but it serves 2 large employment hubs (quarry park and seton) and would help to serve to offload the overloaded south line. Plus, I might use it on the 2-5 days a year I go downtown.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #1563
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

The First phase of the green line will likely be something like 16th Ave in the North to Quarry Park in the south, including the downtown tunnel.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #1564
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccalus View Post
The SE Line doesn't have as large of a residential catchment, but it serves 2 large employment hubs (quarry park and seton) and would help to serve to offload the overloaded south line.
SE LRT relieves pressure on S line... 8th Ave Subway relieves pressure on all lines!
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #1565
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccalus View Post
The SE Line doesn't have as large of a residential catchment, but it serves 2 large employment hubs (quarry park and seton) and would help to serve to offload the overloaded south line. Plus, I might use it on the 2-5 days a year I go downtown.
Like, say, building the 8th Avenue subway would?

Also, the combination of employment from Seton/Quarry Park is very small when compared to downtown. For example, it's estimated that Quarry Park may eventually employ up to 15,000. More than 10x as many people work downtown already, a number that is also going up.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...arry-park.html

Even the airport has over 14,000 employees working onsite right now, and we're always hearing how only the employees would use an airport spur. Which is, imo, total BS, plenty of the 12 million+ passengers every year would take the train if it was available.

http://www.yyc.com/en-us/careers/cal...vironment.aspx

So, in conclusion, the priority should be something like 8th Avenue subway, NC LRT, airport spur, and then SE LRT.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #1566
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

SE might not have a very large catchment now but in the next 10-20 years it will be pretty huge. Copperfield is still building east, Auburn Bay/Cranston/Seton are all getting close to fully built out, Mahogany is a giant subdivision and Blue Sky is on the Horizon. That said, I don't think it should be high priority for at least 10 years.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #1567
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELPNEEDED View Post
SE LRT now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
SE LRT after 8th Ave Subway and NC LRT!
All LRTs...uh...yesterday! Yeah!
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #1568
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

My sister is thinking of moving to Harvest Hills and references the C-train starting construction there in 2 years. She really wouldn't believe me when I said add a decade. She doesn't go on the internet often
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #1569
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
My sister is thinking of moving to Harvest Hills and references the C-train starting there in 2 years. She really wouldn't believe me when I said add a decade. She doesn't go on the internet often
Add two decades at current funding levels.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #1570
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's Talk Transit Event

Sorry for the late notice (meant to post this a couple days ago), but there is a transit-related event going on this evening. It's open to members of the public. Unfortunately I'm not able to attend this one.
Quote:
APPI Calgary Events Committee and the ITESA have partnered to present:
Let’s Talk Transit
An Evening Discussion

Date: Wednesday, March 6, 2013
616 MacLeod Trail SE
Time: Doors Open at 6:30 PM, Talk begins at 7:00 PM
Admission: Food Bank Donations are Welcome
---------------------------------

Route Ahead Plan Approved at Council

The Route Ahead Plan passed at Council on Monday. Next comes trying to fund the multi-billion dollar plan.

www.routahead.ca

---------------------------------

Investigating a CRL to Help Pay for SETWAY

Alderman Shane Keating's Notice of Motion to investigate using a Community Revitalization Levy to help fund the Southeast Transitway passed at council 8-7. Here is the notice of motion.

Administration will investigate and report back on the matter by September.

http://shanekeating.blogspot.ca/

My thoughts are generally in agreement with SebC on this. You'd have to do some more spectacular than usual accounting gymnastics to make a case for it. CRLs/TIFs often involve some of this to an extent, but I think this particular application would be a stretch.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #1571
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Transit just took delivery of 2 CNG buses, (built in Manitoba), and 2 more are on the way from a Montreal company.

The city will be testing the new buses to see which one works better in our environment.

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/video...SUK8Gb#stories
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #1572
Nasty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I doubt we will be able to get funding for any new LRT's the provincial government wants to unload deerfoot trail on the city which would mean millions a year taken away from the budget. Coupled with all the cuts in the provincial budget its looking very bleak for transit
Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #1573
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
I doubt we will be able to get funding for any new LRT's the provincial government wants to unload deerfoot trail on the city which would mean millions a year taken away from the budget. Coupled with all the cuts in the provincial budget its looking very bleak for transit
The Province can want to unload Deerfoot on the city all they want, the city won't take it.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #1574
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
The Province can want to unload Deerfoot on the city all they want, the city won't take it.
Couldn't the province technically force it upon the city if they wish? Or would they have to go through courts?

The city should only take it back once the province promise to fund the Glenmore and Anderson interchanges fix ups.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #1575
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Couldn't the province technically force it upon the city if they wish? Or would they have to go through courts.
I'm not one to answer that but I really don't see how.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #1576
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Couldn't the province technically force it upon the city if they wish? Or would they have to go through courts?
I believe they could, just like they could force Rocky View into the Calgary Regional Partnership. The city doesn't exist constitutionally, it only has legal authority because the province grants it.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #1577
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I believe they could, just like they could force Rocky View into the Calgary Regional Partnership. The city doesn't exist constitutionally, it only has legal authority because the province grants it.
I'm pretty sure this is the case, ultimately the city only exists because the province says so. However, if the PCs decided they were going to dump on Calgary fiscally in big and obvious ways, it wouldn't be the courts that would stop them it would be the electorate.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #1578
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Chinook Station Demo/Rebuild

Here's some photos I took today of the work going on there.

Spoiler!
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #1579
Northski
Draft Pick

Quote:

The city should only take it back once the province promise to fund the Glenmore and Anderson interchanges fix ups.
Perhaps we'd rather take the money for SElrt, Take the money to fix up or new interchanges at Glenmore at deerfoot, ogden, barlow, 52st SE as well as the deerfoot at anderson and Macleod and 162 and we are halfway to funding the first leg of SELRT.
Northski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #1580
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northski View Post
Perhaps we'd rather take the money for SElrt, Take the money to fix up or new interchanges at Glenmore at deerfoot, ogden, barlow, 52st SE as well as the deerfoot at anderson and Macleod and 162 and we are halfway to funding the first leg of SELRT.
No.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings