Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2021, 09:19 PM   #1561
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
I agree...Sam's play, if sustained, is a major indictment of the organization frankly...

Reminds me of St.Louis and how they let him walk away, even through the coaches and management saw him every day in practice and still kept him in the bottom six.

I think there's lots of blame to go around for sure and the coaches and management own a big chunk of it.

I didn't like the Ward hire, and I think Treliving and the scouts should be replaced this offseason

There was a time where I was wondering if the Flames were keeping Sam in the bottom 6 so they had a good player but didn't have to pay him. He would be put with good players with good results then moved right back down.

I think Sam gave the Flames the benefit of the doubt, they said they would play him more after the playoffs but moved him right back down to the bottom 6. Of course he is not going to give them the kind of effort we are seeing now because he probably suspected the Flames wouldn't keep their end of the bargain.

You have to wonder if someone within the Flames org, wanted to keep Sam further down the line.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 04-29-2021 at 09:22 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:20 PM   #1562
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
I agree...Sam's play, if sustained, is a major indictment of the organization frankly...

Reminds me of St.Louis and how they let him walk away, even through the coaches and management saw him every day in practice and still kept him in the bottom six.

I think there's lots of blame to go around for sure and the coaches and management own a big chunk of it.

I didn't like the Ward hire, and I think Treliving and the scouts should be replaced this offseason
Pro scouts yes
Amateur scouts are doing their job

But if player development is a concern I'm not sure Sutter fixes that as coach either.

This organization finds itself in a dilly of a pickle.

A coach hired to win now
A team nowhere near that

I have no idea what they are going to do.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 09:21 PM   #1563
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I think most of his supporters thought he could be a top 6 forward with the right opportunity. Nobody expected him to start putting up over 1.3 PPG.
1.3Ppg is a small sample size. But it's pretty clear he's a top two line center. The natural hot streaks and cold streaks of a season probably averages out to 60,70 or so. Maybe More, I dunno.

But what was clear was that he needed to play center with speed and skill, because he played the game a way that not only wins, but wins in the playoffs.

Quote:
do have to say that he’s getting a lot of luck right now. Luck and confidence are a real funny thing.

That goal he scored tonight didn’t go in for him in any of his 6 seasons in Calgary, not once.
How many 3,4 shot first periods did he have here where he was benched after?

Bennett had 7 shots on goal and a handful of missed attempts before that one went in.

Volune shooters build games. When you have a guy who's going, you keep throwing them out there.

When Bennett was going as a Flame, the Flames did not continue to throw him out t4here. So yeah, that goal doesn't go in if he were still here - because no matter how good his game was he wouldn't be on the ice.

His career shooting percentages have, outside of that 2017-18 season, always been perfectly respectable. His shot and chance generation has always been among the top of the Flames, if not right at the top.

But he would have a period with poor luck and then get benched for not finishing, instead of rewarded for creating a high volume of chances with more icetime in the hopes that the next one goes in.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 09:22 PM   #1564
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Pro scouts yes
Amateur scouts are doing their job

But if player development is a concern I'm not sure Sutter fixes that as coach either.

This organization finds itself in a dilly of a pickle.

A coach hired to win now
A team nowhere near that

I have no idea what they are going to do.
We probably (unfortunately) know exactly what they’ll do. Shuffle some deck chairs in hope of staying competitive, but just come back and be the same pile of crap bubble team they always are and probably draft 14th in 2022.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 09:23 PM   #1565
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What an unmitigated disaster so far.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #1566
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
We probably (unfortunately) know exactly what they’ll do. Shuffle some deck chairs in hope of staying competitive, but just come back and be the same pile of crap bubble team they always are and probably draft 14th in 2022.
Yup no doubt it's a re-tool. I have little doubt that changes will be made in the off-season but it's not going to be a re-build.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #1567
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
What an unmitigated disaster so far.
Just wait until we use the pick to draft someone way off the board, and Heineman decides not to play anymore or something
Icon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 09:27 PM   #1568
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Yup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:28 PM   #1569
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup no doubt it's a re-tool. I have little doubt that changes will be made in the off-season but it's not going to be a re-build.
It’s a heartbreaking formula for mediocrity and it’s all this organization does.

I’m at an all time low when it comes to my fandom. It sucks to feel like you’re coming to this point as a fan that you literally have zero belief in the organization.

I’ve got three seats, and all I need is hope and something to believe in…and I’ve got neither.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-29-2021 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:30 PM   #1570
Atodaso
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm of the belief this version of Sam was never going to emerge in Calgary. His confidence was long shot and he clearly needed to move in order to gain it back. Combine that with the fact Calgary never had a coach like Quenneville, and you have a recipe for meeting original expectations.
Atodaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:30 PM   #1571
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It’s a heartbreaking formula for mediocrity and it’s all this organization does.

I’m at an all time low when it comes to my fandom. It sucks to feel like you’re coming to this point as a fan that you literally have zero belief in the organization.

I’ve got three seats…and all I need is hope and believe…and I’ve got neither.
Yep. I agree, you know it’s bad when I am happy to cheer for the Panthers or the Leafs now, being the Flames have little to no chance of the Playoffs.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:31 PM   #1572
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

This feels lower than the late 90s, until 2004 when there was so much fan apathy. Couldn’t even give tickets away back then but at least we had one building block. I see a lot of pain in our future. Like crappy 10 years of coiler pain and of course no guarantee that we’ll win the lottery like they finally did. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scary Eloranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:31 PM   #1573
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’ve got three seats…and all I need is hope and believe…and I’ve got neither.
I have mixed emotions.
I'm equal parts frustrated with the state of affairs and curious about what they are going to do. I just want something different. And I think Sutter is a much better coach than those he replaced but I'm not sure that really helps much except to probably make them slightly less worse.

A complete tear-down would excite me. A 2-3 year period focus on pure asset building. Lack of assets has been a challenge with this team for 30 years. So fix that.

But that won't happen.

But I am keen to see what they actually do.
Do they fire the GM? If so who do they bring in?
Who they trade and for what?

I don't think it's going to be a quiet off-season. But it also might not be the right type of noise.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 09:33 PM   #1574
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
So there's leagues of difference between Lucic-Nordstrom and Lucic-Dube?

Lmao.
Early in the season it was a difference of ~9 mins per game vs. ~14 mins per game. So ya...pretty big difference.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:35 PM   #1575
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Early in the season it was a difference of ~9 mins per game vs. ~14 mins per game. So ya...pretty big difference.
Nordstrom was also a possessiom black hole under Ward

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 04-29-2021, 09:37 PM   #1576
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have mixed emotions.
I'm equal parts frustrated with the state of affairs and curious about what they are going to do. I just want something different. And I think Sutter is a much better coach than those he replaced but I'm not sure that really helps much except to probably make them slightly less worse.

A complete tear-down would excite me. A 2-3 year period focus on pure asset building. Lack of assets has been a challenge with this team for 30 years. So fix that.

But that won't happen.

But I am keen to see what they actually do.
Do they fire the GM? If so who do they bring in?
Who they trade and for what?

I don't think it's going to be a quiet off-season. But it also might not be the right type of noise.
A tear down would be the most entertaining option for me. This organization needs hope and excitement. Doing any of these “players in, players out” deals just don’t do it for me because I don’t think we’re improving on Gaudreau in a trade, and I don’t think we’re getting much of anything for Monahan or Backlund.

I’m very tired of this version of the Calgary Flames. I need them to turn the page.

This Bennett trade going the way I think it’ll continue to go…I just don’t believe in Brad Treliving as a manager. I also can’t get over the Ward hire.

I’m definitely intrigued to see where things go…but I’m not hopeful
Old 04-29-2021, 09:47 PM   #1577
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Always liked Bennett as a player and was genuinely excited after his rookie year. Seeing him explode on the Panthers is amazing, but it makes me really angry at Treliving. His terrible, terrible coaching hires never game Bennett the chance to be the player he's showing in Florida. It's another tick in the box of why I think Tre needs to go.

Last edited by atb; 04-29-2021 at 10:19 PM.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2021, 09:48 PM   #1578
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Guys I think you're all giving this org WAYYYY too much credit. I think we all know where this is going:

Calgary signs: RW Taylor Hall for too much cash, and too much term.

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:57 PM   #1579
Atodaso
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The first half of the 2018-2019 season was the peak of Brad Treliving's Flames. Change my mind.
Atodaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:00 PM   #1580
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atodaso View Post
The first half of the 2018-2019 season was the peak of Brad Treliving's Flames. Change my mind.
the 2014-15 Flames were funner.

Though that was mostly Jay Feaster's teardown of the Flames