Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #1541
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Never feel bad for Fabio, that guy is the ultimate jerk. Always yelling at the umpires, smashing racquets, swearing, making sexist remarks can't stand him.
Haha, yeah I was being facetious with my "too bad" remark, Fognini is very talented, but he just doesn't want to go that extra mile to be an elite player. He's making good money travelling the globe and playing some tennis and occasionally making a deep run in a tournament and I think that's just fine with him.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #1542
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Zverev looks to have run out of gas as Theim is going to win this in straights. Disappointing thought this could have been a good match. Still a good showing for Zverev and he will probably be one of the favorites at Wimbledon.
Believe it or not, this is the guy's best showing ever at a major and he lost to the only player he was forced to play that was ranked inside the top 25. This included barely beating a number of unranked journeymen along the way as a #2 seed.

Considering they will probably rank him anywhere from 4-6 and he will have to beat much better players in order to actually go deep, I don't think he has much of a shot of making it out of the fourth round at Wimbledon.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #1543
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Haha, yeah I was being facetious with my "too bad" remark, Fognini is very talented, but he just doesn't want to go that extra mile to be an elite player. He's making good money travelling the globe and playing some tennis and occasionally making a deep run in a tournament and I think that's just fine with him.
I think Fognini has made the most of his ability. There are more talented players like Gasquet, Gulbis and Monfils who could have been #1 if they put any effort into their tennis.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #1544
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I think Fognini has made the most of his ability. There are more talented players like Gasquet, Gulbis and Monfils who could have been #1 if they put any effort into their tennis.
Gasquet has to be the biggest ones here. Such a disappointment when you consider how badly his fitness has let him down for years.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #1545
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if you were watching the match, but in the second set, it appeared that Zverev pulled a hamstring or something in his leg and needed a medical timeout. He got it wrapped, but he just wasn't the same afterwards. That said, you are playing with fire when you are extended to five sets three times in the first week at the French Open and eventually it's going to catch up with you.
Thanks for the update! I just saw the score and was wondering why it was so lopsided!

I know people are questioning the results for Zverev in majors but some players take time to figure it out. Look at Federer at 21 at the Majors: Lost in the 4th round at Australia and the US Open & lost in the 1st round at the French and Wimbledon.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #1546
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

woot, Gaby Dabrowski and partner Mate Pavic are into the mixed doubles final after a straight sets 6-4 6-4 victory.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #1547
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Gasquet has to be the biggest ones here. Such a disappointment when you consider how badly his fitness has let him down for years.
I'll always remember Gasquet for that time he successfully blamed his positive cocaine test on making out with a women named Pamela at a nightclub and got his ban overturned...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #1548
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Belgium has detained 13 people in raids over an investigation into suspected match-fixing in the lower ranks of professional tennis, federal prosecutors said on Tuesday.

A criminal organization with ties in Belgium and Armenia has been bribing professional tennis players since 2014 to fix matches, letting the criminals to rake in profits by placing bets, the prosecutors said.

The fixed matches were usually in lower-ranked, rarely televised tournaments such as the Futures and Challenger circuits, where it was easier to bribe players, prosecutors said.
An independent report commissioned by the sport’s major bodies concluded in April that tennis faced “very significant” integrity problems caused by a sharp increase in internet betting.

The highest-ranked player to be embroiled in a match-fixing case has been Italian Marco Cecchinato, who faced Serbia’s Novak Djokovic on Tuesday in the quarter-final of the French Open, the second of the tennis year’s four blue riband events.

Cecchinato’s national federation found him guilty in 2016 of placing a bet on himself the previous year to lose a match during a Moroccan Challenger event.

Cecchinato has always denied the claim, and a playing ban against him was overturned by the Italian Olympic Committee because of irregularities regarding how the evidence was gathered.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1J10VC
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #1549
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Novak will have to go five sets to advance as Cecchinato has won the first two.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #1550
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Novak will have to go five sets to advance as Cecchinato has won the first two.
Did not see this coming. Too bad. Was hoping Novak would at least add some intrigue to the bottom half semifinal.

Will be rooting for an all Argentinian semi on the top half now.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #1551
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty pathetic this match got relegated to Lenglen so that the irrelevant Sloane Stephens-Someone none of us have ever heard of match got to be on Chatrier instead.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #1552
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It's pretty pathetic this match got relegated to Lenglen so that the irrelevant Sloane Stephens-Someone none of us have ever heard of match got to be on Chatrier instead.
one mens match and one womens match on each court.
they chose Zverev-Thiem

Old 06-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #1553
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well played by Cecchinato, although I suspect this is another Tennys Sandgren (minus the racism). Novak did better than I thought this tournament, and the sport badly needs him back to his previous level so hopefully he can get there again.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #1554
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
one mens match and one womens match on each court.
they chose Zverev-Thiem
Which is utterly bizarre seeing as only one of the 8 individuals involved actually has a French Open title. Novak does get disrespected by tournament organizers pretty much all the time. Also, that has to stop, "equality" is a terrible reason to give paying fans substandard matches to watch. Fans should have the right to vote on who goes where.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #1555
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Which is utterly bizarre seeing as only one of the 8 individuals involved actually has a French Open title. Novak does get disrespected by tournament organizers pretty much all the time. Also, that has to stop, "equality" is a terrible reason to give paying fans substandard matches to watch. Fans should have the right to vote on who goes where.
You know it's all about equality.
And you can't charge the same price for two women's matches compared to two men's matches.

tomorrow

Court 1
Mugaruza vs Sharpaova
Nadal vs Schwartzman

Court 2
Halep vs Kerber
Cilic vs Del Potro

Old 06-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #1556
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To be fair 10 time champion Nadal had to play a match on Lenglen this year as well if you win an event 10 times you deserve what ever court you want. Heck they should rename Chatrier to Rafael Nadal Court when he retires.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #1557
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You know it's all about equality.
And you can't charge the same price for two women's matches compared to two men's matches.

tomorrow

Court 1
Mugaruza vs Sharpaova
Nadal vs Schwartzman

Court 2
Halep vs Kerber
Cilic vs Del Potro
Of course you can't, and that would crush the equal pay narrative since market should dictate. I suspect this issue blows up when Roger retires and prize money takes a serious step back. Also there's literally no doubt Court 2 is going to be better than Court 1, and yet organizers are dumb.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #1558
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1004055888812888065
Old 06-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #1559
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Cecchinato has always been really good but he made more money match fixing so he never went anywhere. Now that he was caught maybe he's trying lol
Old 06-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #1560
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe Cecchinato has always been really good but he made more money match fixing so he never went anywhere. Now that he was caught maybe he's trying lol
Italians and match-fixing?!? That's crazy talk
Closed Thread